Notices

The neuropathy degrading sin wave

Old 11-13-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The neuropathy degrading sin wave

Hi all,

Checking in. 7 months sober. Baby 3.5 months old and has just discovered his feet.

I had a follow up neurological appointment. I have some ongoing neuropathy issues (numbness, weakness, muscle spasms). I described my symptoms as a degrading sin wave (for the mathematically inclined). In short, they still occur, but the severity and length of the "attacks" are slowly decreasing. I go longer periods without experiencing the conditions, and when they occur, they are generally less severe than the previous iteration. Generally. The Doc gave me a good prognosis, and for that I am thankful.

I'm posting, because in early sobriety these issue really bugged me. Combined with the psychological fallout, I was convinced I had Parkinson's or MS (another good reason to go talk to your Dr!). I did a lot of reading and talking to my doctors. And I found out some interesting things. I wanted to share them in hopes that they could maybe benefit someone else someday (Not that this excuses anyone from getting their own solid medical diagnosis):

1. Arm & hand numbness/muscle spasms/tremors/cramps. These are common in alcoholics. The wrist (carpal tunnel) and elbow (cubital tunnel) are common spots of nerve impingement. The theory for alcoholics, is that there is already some level of mechanical wear on the nerve axons in these locations, and they are more susceptible to chemical damage from alcohol. While the mechanic impingement may wear away enough myelin to open the nerve up to alcohol damage, its rarely enough to cause carpal/cubital tunnel syndrome.

2. While I did not ask specifically about Cervical radiculopathy, sciatica, and tarsal tunnel syndrome (other nerve impingment sites), I assume the same could hold true there. But I'm no doctor.

3. There is still so much unknown about the direct influence of alcohol on nerves, versus nutrient deficiencies caused by alcohol. It is not uniform across people, it depends on personal diet, and how alcohol is metabloized in your liver (there are a number of specific pathways). That is why seeing a dr and getting bloodwork done is important.

4. A lot of damage to nerves occurs before any symptoms are seen. Once you start noticing nerve issues, there is at least some level of damage.

5. Why symptoms sometimes seem to get worse after quitting. It takes a while for the body to repair damaged tissue, incorporate supplements, and turnover tissue into new nerves. Even if your diet was good, alcohol starved your body of a lot of minerals needed for nerve function. New nerve cells take months to regenerate, assuming the vitamins are there to begin with.

5. The other reason for above, is that drinking masks the presence of symptoms. And its not really about walking around in a stupor. At a cellular level, an alcoholics body has changes to its mitochondria. For an alcoholic, their cells need alcohol to function, even though alcohol is also killing them at the same time. While we are still drinking, alcohol kind of "patches over" the gaps in nerve impulse transmission. This was really complicated, but that's the gist of it. And that's the cruel irony of alcoholism, your body needs alcohol even though alcohol is killing it.

Again - that's just a combination of what I've been told and read. It's not medical advice, but interesting, and I wish I would have known this some time ago.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post...lots to think about. Also congratulations on your seven months and BabyJ’s new discovery!

I admit I had a bit of a giggle at the “ sin” wave typo...I know it’s sine but your way sounds more interesting!

Old 11-13-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for that interesting insight .
I had various nerve symptoms , burning buzzing sensations on soles of feet while walking , sensation of cold water running down my leg or face , cobweb sensation on any area of face or arms ,head zaps , tingling fingers ,tingling lips or tongue . GP visits bloods ruled out anything serious ( I thought I had MS )
There was more but I am happy to report that the symptoms were caused by extreme anxiety and heavy drinking binges according to my Doctor .

90 percent free of nervy type symptoms gone now but as per my post today having a flare up of painful muscles and joints ( blaming the weather )
Old 11-14-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Great post.

If that's what's happening to peripheral nerves, I'd imagine the neurons in the brain must need a ton of time to recover as well.

Explains a lot!

I took a ton of B-vitamins in early recovery, which apparently help curb further damage to the nerve cells.

GREAT post! Thanks!
Old 12-23-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for mentioning this on my recent new post, knowledge always makes the sturggle less intense, I find(Is that a real quote form somebody clever? I don't know lol). Im just smashing the B vitamins, Cod liver oil, multi vits and raw fruit n veg; hoping for the best! it is a tiny bit comforting knowing im not the only one thats gone through this kind of thing, and that i dont have some kind of impossibly rare and permanent condition you'd need to see House MD, for. Just hope it hurrys up and buggers off now.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hpdw View Post
Thank you for that interesting insight .
I had various nerve symptoms , burning buzzing sensations on soles of feet while walking , sensation of cold water running down my leg or face , cobweb sensation on any area of face or arms ,head zaps , tingling fingers ,tingling lips or tongue . GP visits bloods ruled out anything serious ( I thought I had MS )
There was more but I am happy to report that the symptoms were caused by extreme anxiety and heavy drinking binges according to my Doctor .

90 percent free of nervy type symptoms gone now but as per my post today having a flare up of painful muscles and joints ( blaming the weather )
Hi mate, glad to hear youre feeling better(ish)... Can i ask you how long it took before you felt vaguely human, again? as im currently on day 14 clean, with no real sign of relief as of yet. Thanks. Mlake
Old 12-24-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This was incredibly helpful to me, thank you.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Noeh,

I had numbness and restless legs for months after I quit drinking.

My alky coworker walks funny because of numbness.

My feet started to swell up near the end of my drinking days.

After around 1000 days clean w only 2 shots of booze breaking that up...I am feline better than I have felt physically in 30 years.

Mentally, it is like I have to be on guard for depressed thoughts. When I was a drunk I would drink them away. Over the holidays especially.

Well now I am analyzing them away. Obsession is dealt with by making decisions....Right or wrong, make one and move forward to live in the now.

I don't want to worry about the bad, i will appreciate the good.

I focus on the succeses, e.g. being a proudly sober man.

Anyway...just venting w out starting my own thread.

Everything got better when I put down the booze. How could it not.

Thanks.