Notices

Unintentional Slip

Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unintentional Slip

Hey guys,
I went to a party on Saturday night and accidentally picked up my girl friends drink which had alcohol in it. I immediately put it down as i tasted the rum in the apple cider. Rum was my liquor of choice so when i tasted it in the drink i kind of had a flash back romanticizing and have been for the last few days. I didn't give in though I played the tape forward and saw myself in my place by myself with a liter of rum in my mouth like i did when i relapsed back in February about 300 days ago. Part of me is pissed off because i've been working so hard at the program to remain sober and kick the mental obsession. My AV has been barking at me recently but i must remain vigilant.
I suppose i have to treat this as an accomplishment in that i didn't say F-it and pick-up after that slip. I'm sure there are ton of stories similar to mine. Feel free to share.
Thanks!
Old 12-05-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! I have heard of these slips before and to not continue is the best part!!!
Old 12-05-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you for putting the rum down!

I was running an event on the weekend and there were three of us in the kitchen at one point, I had my trusty club soda, the others had alcohol, of course none of us remembered which was our drink LOL, I sniffed everything I put to my mouth.

This year my Christmas cake has no alcohol in it, I know it steams out when cooked, but still, I don't even want the fake taste.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If it was purely unintentional and just an accidental sip I don't think you need to worry so much about the act of doing it. Sounds like you do recognize some other red flags though and addressing them is a great idea.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I ate some spiked watermelon this summer. The watermelon was cut up and on a platter....It didn't cross my mind it had alcohol in it. Once I tasted it, I spit it right out...thought it was rotten at first. Definitely gets the old AV cranked up.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did that on Thanksgiving. I picked up what I thought was my iced tea and topped it off then took a drink only to taste sweet 🤮 I drink unsweetened tea, it was my husbands crown and coke I put tea in. I was home so I spit it out in the sink. The one thing that stood out most to me was I didn’t taste any crown. He probably had 1/2 a shot of crown in a mason jar 3/4 full with coke. What a difference between a normie’s drink and an alcoholic’s. 😏
Old 12-05-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

that can certainly happen. Not really even a 'slip' so much as a simple mistake. One sip of a mixed drink is hardly a relapse.

Good for you, not allowing that to 'trigger' you into more drinking!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I don't consider that a slip.

Good on ya for spitting it out and not continuing to drink.

To me, that's strong sobriety, not a slip. You passed a test.

Not surprising the AV kicked in, but you beat it. Congrats!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the comments everyone! It was fitting that the topic at todays meeting was acceptance. I've accepted that the mistake happened on Saturday and am happy and grateful that it didn't turn into a relapse. I also have to accept that the AV will eventually fade again. This too shall pass.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Intent is everything I think - you had no intent

D
Old 12-05-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

In my opinion, there are no slips, only relapses. This was NOT a relapse. A relapse starts with your thinking way before you ever take a drink. This was completely unintentional and not something you planned out in your mind beforehand. It sucks that's it's weighing on you like this but you are doing the right thing and staying on path and not letting a relapse take place!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree that you didn't slip, you took an accidental sip, and didn't continue to drink. You are smart to put some supports in place if you felt that AV kick in. Congrats on 300 days, you are getting closer to that one year mark!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good on you for sticking to your path.

My dad is 17 years in recovery and a few years ago at my sisters wedding following his speech, he did the traditional raise a glass to toast the bride.
The reception staff screwed up and had placed a glass of champagne in front of him during the speech instead of a N/A alternative so he took in a mouthful before spitting it out.

This was before I had any knowledge at all of my own problem or what recovery even was so I panicked and in my ignorance thought that all of his years of sobriety were now down the drain because if this mouthful of chammpers.

He put me straight explaining the difference between and honest mistake and actually picking up. Can’t believe how ignorant was TBH.

Anyway, I ramble. Congrats on the 300 days and for coming away unscathed.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

it wasn't a slip, comtnman, in my opinion.

It was an accident.

That happened to me recently but with a beautiful fruit salad. I am not sure what the liquor was but, after a couple of bites, it hit me that it was spiked.

Good grief - spiked fruit salad - and it was an early morning brunch.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone! I don't consider it to be a relapse or a slip but it is a reminder that i have to stay vigilant with my disease. The AV has been chattering at me lately but it is starting to lesson as i expected it to do.
I've been hitting meetings since Monday after a busy weekend and it has helped. I'm working on completing my 4th step and will hopefully move onto my 5th step tonight with the help of my sponsor. It is so true that it works if you work it.
Happy Thursday everyone!