Notices

Sponsor

Old 12-05-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsor

It's amazing how things work, When I say Things I mean my higher power. I've been going to 2-3 meetings a week for the last couple months, my first 5 months of sobriety I did it with the help of SR and a great family support group. I really didn't want to go to AA meetings but the courts said I must go, along with a DWI repeat offender class (32 hr class) and a Victim Impact panel.
I'm a little over half way thru with DWI class and went to the Victim impact panel last week. I'm learning a lot in the DWI class and all I can say about the Impact panel Is WOW. Broke my heart listening to their stories. I'm hoping to take my daughters (24&28) to a Victim impact panel in the future.
Anyway I'm getting off track on what I really wanted to say. Over the last couple weeks I have been thinking about how I should get a sponsor, Last Fri I was thinking about asking a guy who I met at the first AA meeting I went to, well he was there and after the meeting I walked over to say hi, he looked at me and said Do you have a Sponsor? I couldn't believe he asked me first, When I told him I didn't he grabbed a guy standing next to him and said Mike this is Mike, You need Mike as your Sponsor. We went off and talked a bit, I told him the basics of what brought me there, of course my voice crackled a bit but said he will be ok, it will get better. I now have a sponsor, I now have homework assignments he gave me (along with "other" homework) but you know what, I feel good. I truly feel that God has put people, places and things in front of me to help guide me to greater things, he did this in the past but I didn't listen to Him, I did it my way.
To all the folks that are on their first day, their first week, their first month, do whatever it takes to stay sober for 24 hours at a time. As they tell us, it does get better.

Rainman
Old 12-05-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's beautiful.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Totally awesome!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lovely post. Wishing you all the best for your recovery.

BB
Old 12-05-2017, 10:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good stuff Rainman!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing! I am excited for you about the sober time and the choice to get a sponsor - working the steps with someone guiding us is a beautiful thing.

Keep going!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for that inspiration. I am finding the obtaining a sponsor part tricky at the moment and reading your post helps, I suspect I am overthinking it and it will happen when and with who it is meant to.

Glad your doing well.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for this. On day 4 here and hearing your insights are inspiring.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Funny how that happens... the harder we work the luckier we get.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome! I also got the 'gift' of AA via the courts. It has changed my life in many ways so far and I'm only around a year. I do need to work the steps with a sponsor though and see where that takes me to.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job! I felt like getting a sponsor was integral for my recovery. Someone that can walk me through the steps is also important. Good luck with the new sponsor. Just remember it's not a marriage and if it doesn't work out it's not a big deal. Thought i'd throw that out there because alot of people are nervous about the sponsorship concept. It's not a huge deal. A sponsor is basically your go to man/woman if things get rocky and of course someone to help you through the steps/recovery.
Rock on!