Notices

Felt like drinking instead eating day 9

Old 12-01-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Felt like drinking instead eating day 9

Just got off work and instantly craving a drink.. instead i decided to take my daughter out for dinner. So here i sit in this diner waiting on our food. After we are done im going home and watching a movie.. i hate that im always eating my cravings away.. this needs to stop before i gain 25 pounds. Heres to day 9..
Old 12-01-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's important to be kind to yourself during the early days. Day 9 is fantastic! Maybe you could add some exercise to your day, unless you are already doing that?
Old 12-01-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Friday nights and weekends are huge triggers for most of us and especially those in early sobriety. carb and sugar cravings are normal and will subside too. one day at a time.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Indulge yourself with food, if you want to, in the early days. If you gain a little weight, you can get rid of it later. Do anything but drink!
Old 12-01-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

You can diet off weight.

You cant diet off addiction.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It's important to be kind to yourself during the early days. Day 9 is fantastic! Maybe you could add some exercise to your day, unless you are already doing that?
This
Old 12-01-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We've all had the same cravings Toni. Like others have said, don't worry too much about what you're eating now, you can take it off later. Whatever it takes to not drink is what is important. Know that eventually you won't feel the way you do now. Just keep going... You'll be glad you did! Promise!
Old 12-01-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi toni and congratulations on double digit sobriety days come tomorrow.

When I first quit drinking my strongest weekday cravings generally started a couple hours before leaving work as I began to get hungry. I think hunger and cravings often go hand in hand. It helped me sooooo much to buy a case of protein drinks and keep at my office. A little before leaving for the day I'd drink one, sometimes two. This really took the edge off and allowed me to get home without pulling in the gas station for my weekday six pack. I'm a gym fan too and needed the protein anyway. At some point I realized my workday cravings had ceased! I still drink those shakes, but no longer for the same reason.

Wishing you success. There's so much support here, take advantage of it for sure.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I got home and cleaned my home and now watching tv. I think i will start exercising a little tomorrow and try to work it in after work a few days a week. Im glad i didnt drink. Im so glad. Thanks
Old 12-01-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best exercise I get is my daily dog walks. It's good for me mentally and physically and the dogs love it. And it reminds me that when I'm sober, I take much better care of my critters. That makes me want to stay sober.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

HALT

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

The HALT triggers are very powerful and even if you don't end up drinking on them, they can affect the quality of your sobriety really negatively.

You can healthy eat them away as much as unhealthy eat them away though, and prevention is better than cure. Even still, there's likely to be sugar cravings in the early days and it's the kind of immediate gratification stuff our bodies grab for when we're denying ourselves that old 'comfort' of ours. I heard sugar described ones as 'crack for kids' and have to agree, esp remembering my own love for the sugar basin as a kid (if there were no biscuits of cake to be found in the house I'd just eat the sugar by the spoonful).

Anyway. It's worth planning your days around avoiding those HALT triggers, esp in the first few months.

BB
Old 12-02-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My secret weapon when I am hungry-ish but it's not feeding time and I don't want a coffee because it's too late or too much caffeine, etc. -- is chicken broth. It is nourishing, low in calories, and quite soothing in general. They wrote a book about it, it's science.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by tonisherrell View Post
Just got off work and instantly craving a drink.. instead i decided to take my daughter out for dinner. So here i sit in this diner waiting on our food. After we are done im going home and watching a movie.. i hate that im always eating my cravings away.. this needs to stop before i gain 25 pounds. Heres to day 9..
Great choices! Spending time with your daughter sober and eating rather than drinking your calories will never be bad ideas. Alcohol slows your metabolism so even if you take in the same amount of calories (I drank way more calories than I eat now, ugh) your body will burn them faster and more efficiently. Awesome job beating those cravings, what a great way to start the weekend!