Notices

I sure am acting like a jerk!

Old 12-01-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I sure am acting like a jerk!

My son was being disrespectful yesterday, which seems to be a non-stop state of being for him lately, after a lifetime of being such a sweet little boy. He turns 13 this month, so I’m pretty sure it’s just a sign of the times, but dang if I’m not responding like a class-A jackwagon. I said things I regret and I treated him poorly. Is that the withdrawal agitation or am I really just uncovering a fact that I was a happy drunk and a mean sober person?

Ugh.

Day 5 and still sober, though!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The early days of sobriety are an emotional and physical rollercoaster for sure. I have teenage kids and yes - it's par for the course for them to act that way ;-)

One of the most difficult things in getting sober is facing the reality of our lives up front and center - VS hiding/running away to a bottle which was our default reaction before. In this particular instance, how about just asking him if he'd like to talk and apologize for the way you acted? You might be surprised how he responds.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Apologies can sure go a long ways, even for kids. I apologize to my 5 year old because I KNOW I handled a situation poorly, and it's good to role model a sincere apology. Sadly, those two words are probably the hardest for most adults to say but at the same time can be the most powerful.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha. I have a seventeen yr old girl. Talk about a roller coaster. And she's a great kid. I can't imagine parenting a difficult teen....and if you're withdrawing right now? Sure, that's tough.

Recovery has taught me to be far less reactive, which has helped me immensely in parenting. 99% of the time if I just keep my mouth shut, things turn out much better. I don't have to react to anything. I don't have to get angry or irritated. As AA says "Pause when agitated". Nothing can try me more than my teenager. But its not her that is the problem, its how I choose to respond.

Stop, drop and roll I say
Old 12-01-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hard saying, but the great thing is that you can lead by example and apologize to your son- in some way say how and what ya said wasnt right and what you should have said instead.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was very short tempered for the first bit, I am at 39 or 40 days sober and it is mellowing out.
Unrelated/related, a good friend of mine is bi-polar and she asked her shrink, how bad will this affect the kids and the shrink said, as long as the parents are supporting each other and the mother is trying, that will positively impact the kids.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

They have a saying in france : small kids small problems, big kids big problems.
Now that doesnt justify your behaviour. I reckon 5 days sober is very early and probably agitation and agressiveness are part and parcel of the journey.
As most people say cant hurt to have a talk and a hug !
Go against the grain, the grain being to keep negativity in the air !
Take care,
V.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
I was very short tempered for the first bit, I am at 39 or 40 days sober and it is mellowing out.
Unrelated/related, a good friend of mine is bi-polar and she asked her shrink, how bad will this affect the kids and the shrink said, as long as the parents are supporting each other and the mother is trying, that will positively impact the kids.
I also had a very short fuse, it lasted a good 5 months but I was aware of it and able to control it after a short while. Realizing my mind was spinning emotonally allowed me to pause and think about the situation before just reacting.

These days I'm a lot mellower and it's helping me avoid things that would have ended in confrontation in the past. Coming up on 10 months now and my emotions are far more stable.