Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Klonopin withdrawals and coming off of it and starting Neurontin does it help?

Notices

Old 12-01-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So about a month and a half ago my Dr. started tapering me off of Konopin . Well for me I took 2mg. for sleep for 3 years I never abused the drug. I knew that it was habit forming but never knew that taking it like I did as I was told it was going to be this bad! He told me that I should have been fine but I must be a rare case. After I came off I started having sever diarrhea every day all day for 2 weeks I lost 6lbs granted I only weighed 119lbs. Then I started having mood swings, nausea, I couldn't hardly eat I had to force myself, mental confusion which I still do! And the anxiety, jittery, dizziness, and blurred vision is horrible and I feel so weird. So I took a half of my .5 xanex that I take for generalized anxiety disorder one day and some of my symptoms went away now that is another benzo of course! So I called my Dr. once I put it together that it was all withdrawal symptoms! So he told me to take a half or a quarter of that every 12 hours. But I ended up taking that every 4-6 because it made me feel so much better. So I called him back and told him that I couldn't do that because that is taking a benzo to much so what was the point that is just like taking Klonopin... I never in my life knew that taking Klonopin and coming off would be so HARD!!! DONT EVER COME OFF COLD TURKEY!! IT COULD CAUSE DEATH... Do your research this is awful depression is horrible too and it can cause Seizures! Anyhow when I called him back he put me on Neurontin, I've been on it 3 days 100mg capsules, I'm taking 2 every 4 hours, I still feel anxious, jittery, funny, and a tad dizzy, but I do feel a little better and I haven't had a benzo in 3 DAYS Does anyone know if Neurontin is a good idea to keep taking or had this experience?
Old 12-01-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Benzodiazepines are generally viewed as safe and effective for short-term use, although cognitive impairment and paradoxical effects such as aggression or behavioral disinhibition occasionally occur. A minority of people can have paradoxical reactions such as worsened agitation or panic.[7] Benzodiazepines are also associated with increased risk of suicide.[8] Long-term use is controversial because of concerns about adverse psychological and physical effects, decreasing effectiveness, and physical dependence and withdrawal.[9][10] As a result of adverse effects associated with the long-term use of benzodiazepines, withdrawal from benzodiazepines often leads to improved physical and mental health.[11][12] The elderly are at an increased risk of suffering from both short- and long-term adverse effects,[11][13] and as a result, all benzodiazepines are listed in the Beers List of inappropriate medications for older adults.[14]-Wikipedia

Sooo benzos. Yeah, the withdrawal is horrid.....and there really is no other safe way to do that than to taper. Alcoholics can take benzo's for a short period to safely withdraw. But benzo addicts just have to muscle thru the taper.

In all my years trying to recover from alcoholism I have seen soooo many alcoholics stay on benzo's after quitting booze. Taking them 'as prescribed' for years. Recently I had a friend stop Ativan after about 3 years and she was incredibly sick. Which led her back to alcohol. Because the two drugs act on the brain in pretty much the same way (hence the reason they ease withdrawal from alcohol) it is really easy to cross addict. Without a doubt when I take Xanax for example (even only a couple of times) I will start to crave alcohol. Every time.

Short term use of benzos, maybe a couple of weeks type of time line, is really the way the drugs are supposed to be used. Like I said, many alcoholics I know, in recovery now, take benzo's daily. Hmmmm.

I have GAD and PTSD. Very tough anxiety. But I have been forced to find ways of dealing with these without the use of benzo's. Take a pill, take a drink, for me there isn't a difference.

I think what you're experiencing is normal. You aren't a rare case. Maybe talk to your dr about adjusting your taper. But mostly, hang in there. Detox now or detox later....eventually it has to happen. And there are much better, far less habit forming drugs to take for sleep. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think the dr. is doing the right thing by you with Neurontin (gabapentin). it's known for its calming effects so would help with the withdrawals. I've taken it for yrs. for a different reason and at a much higher dose but I weigh more than twice as much as you do. they always start low and build up. Neurontin is an anti-seizure med which could be a bonus if that's a concern. if you feel you could use a little more help you could always call up the doc and enquire about it and then maybe ask about a taper off the gabapentin. it's known to be a very safe med and is widely prescribed for many things but can become habit forming over time. 3 days and no benzos and feeling better with the low dose I think you are doing great. stay in touch with the doc.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I echo Fricka, on every single word. Great post, Fricka. 100% my experience as well.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

3 years is a long time to be on benzos and 2mg is a pretty hefty dose of klonopin. Though at 3 days in and you're already doing better, it sounds like the new meds are working and I'd keep up with it.
In the future, you may want to tell your docs to not prescribe you any benzos or other addictive medications. There are countless non addictive mental health meds on the market.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You reminded me of Stevie Nicks' story about Klonopin and how it destroyed her life. Her psychiatrist prescribed it to help her get off cocaine. You can google it if you're interested.

I haven't had experience with it or Neurontin, but I hope things continue to go alright for you.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Ugh. Klonopin is EVIL. I went through a similar withdrawal, and I was only on it for 5 months...but exhibited serious drug seeking behavior towards the end. It is cross addictive with alcohol. I was prescribed to stop drinking and ended up doing both. I wanted to shoot myself in the head, it was so bad. Doc switched me to ativan and did a 3 day taper. Not NEARLY long enough.

Neurontin definitely helped but by no means stopped the withdrawal.

I started to feel human again in about two weeks, and it was several months before I returned to baseline. The good news is that I didn't drink for over a year after that.

It will go away, and if it's been 3 days you might well be on your way.

Check back in if you need to.