Notices

Day 2

Old 11-14-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

I am sober for a day. Getting a strong urge to drink tonight. Please help.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttoquit7 View Post
I am sober for a day. Getting a strong urge to drink tonight. Please help.
Hello! Thanks for joining us here at SR.

Congrats on Day 2! You are traversing a very difficult path right now, but it isn't impossible. It's ok to WANT to drink, heck, I still WANT to drink almost daily. Those urges take a long time to go away. I chose to not listen to them. Find something to replace those urges. Use the threads/posts here on SR to motivate. Take a walk (not to a liquor store). Read a book. Watch movies. Find something to take your mind off the urges. I eat A LOT of ice cream and drink A LOT of black coffee. And I hate coffee.

What makes you want to stop drinking? What have you lost? What can you gain? Don't just say you want to be sober, KNOW you want to be sober.

You can do this
Old 11-14-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you tried looking for a meeting near you?
I'd suggest finding a meeting and meeting sober people.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Have you tried looking for a meeting near you?
I'd suggest finding a meeting and meeting sober people.
I have. I started my journey for sobriety on may 8 2015.
I was married to an alcoholic for 16 years. He was very abusive. I started to give him company and became his drinking partner. Around mid 2011. Initially it was fun. Soon it became a habit. Every weekday evening strong hard drink, till I passed out. On may 7 2015. I drank a liter of whiskey. Next day morning I was shaking. I cudnt stop crying. I called AA and walked into a meeting room. I was doing good. It was working for me even though my husband was still drinking. Soon , he started going with me. That's when things started to get complicated. I was no longer an anonymous there. I cudnt share what I wanted to share cause he was there. Ever since then I kept on slipping. Now I am separated from him. In my last meeting which was more than a year ago, I was told that I can't share anything about my husband as he too is a member. Hence I stopped going completely. AA officially stopped working for me. But my desire to live a sober life still continues. One day at a time I am battling this disease. My biggest fear is what if I can't make it. I have maintained a sobriety journal. Today as I look at it I see that in the past 16 days I was sober for 6 days. This makes me sad. This makes me realise how much powerless I am.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

First off, welcome to Sober Recovery.

Kolkata is a major city. Perhaps you can find a different meeting.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome wantoquit 7 .
I am sorry to hear of your struggle and I understand your AA predicament as I had a personal experience with AA and a family member . Some people find other ways to get sober and be in meaningful recovery . For me this time I have a knowing deep within me that I want sobriety more than anything else . I have spent too much of my life feeling ill . Some people talk about spiritual ways ,looking deep within I made a commitment to myself to recover from alcoholism for good . It is this spiritual way that is MY way to a sober and happy life , not religion or dogma but a deep sense of knowing and believing in My higher power .

I wish you well and hope you can find peace .
Old 11-14-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 3

I made it thru day 2. Day 3 begins. New day, new challenge. Sobriety is the priority. Praying to god to get me thru this day.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this , just this 24 hours then do the same the next day . You will begin to feel better each day and see that it really can be done .
Old 11-15-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Remember to eat regularly and drink lots of water or something like Gatorade. Both helped me tremendously in early recovery as my blood sugar was all out of kilter.