Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Looking to go to my first meeting and I知 confused by abbreviations

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello,
I am trying to find the right meeting for me. I am confused with the abbreviations next to the meetings. Most of them are explained in the legend but I cannot find what the abbreviation TNG means? Can anyone help? Thank you!
Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jules - if it's not on the site you got the meetings from, I'm not sure. It might be one of the Group titles like The Next Generation?

D
Old 11-10-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't heard of TNG in an AA context, and a search turned up nothing, but I'll take a wild guess: trans-gender?

If you can find a meeting designated for newcomers, that might be a good place to start, although any meeting will do (as long as it doesn't discourage your particular gender or sexual orientation or whatever). Just go!
Old 11-10-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

Not anything I致e seen at AA. Must be an appreciated group name.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I started with the "easy" to understand type of meetings - OD (Open Discussion), BB (Big Book)....there's also W or M (Womens/Mens), 12 step, B (Beginners).....
Old 11-11-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Haven't heard of TNG and I go to at least 4-5 different meetings a week. Sounds like it could be an abbreviated name of the meeting. For example, one of the meetings I go to is called the "live & active group"
Old 11-12-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, now that I think about what a couple people have said- sometimes the meeting lists show up by a "standard" abbrev like I mentioned before, and sometimes by name or abbreviation of it. My homegroup is the Bill W Lunch Group - plenty of places around here have "How It Works," "As Bill Sees It," Weekend Warriors," etc etc. If I was uncertain- I might go to a mtg with a std designation and ask people there about the other.