Notices

New Member looking for tips

Old 10-17-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Member looking for tips

Hi,
Im a northern european guy in his late 20s, seeking tips for alchohol addiction. I am 27, and been drinking daily for about 7 years. My body is getting tired and I know I have to stop, or die. I have tried quitting but anxiety, depression, chronic pain is to much to handle..

Every tip will mean a lot
Old 10-17-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! It's always a good idea to have a plan for recovery. Following is a list of various recovery programs and lots of ideas:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 10-17-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Reedx!

My tip would be to see a Doctor.

He/She can help you through detox.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anxiety, depression, that's the name of the game, my friend.

It isn't fun, it's miserable, but the reward is a life free of alcohol, and behaviors that tend to contribute to more negative.

Biggest concept for me that I really grasped onto was the, "one day at a time." I don't know if I'm going to drink tomorrow, all I know is I'm NOT going to drink today. My first week was hell, I had to actually FEEL feelings and it sucked. I stayed busy, worked out a lot, my focus was shot, I was miserable at work, I accomplished very little besides NOT DRINKING. I expected the worst and what I got was close (for me).

Set realistic goals. Make a plan so you don't drink for this hour. Just because you THINK about drinking doesn't mean you are caving in. I still think about drinking a lot, especially on weekends, but I know it leads to misery, depression, sadness, anxiety, regret.

Support system, who is a POSITIVE person for you in your recovery?

Recognizing your habits and high risk times? Are you a nightly drinker? Weekends?

What brings on your urge to drink? Boredom? The feeling? Confidence? Numb the pain?

Once you really acknowledge your habits, you can formulate a plan to combat your cravings. I was a nightly drinker to numb the pain and reality of life.

Are you a group person? What have you tried in the past that hasn't worked? You need to prepare to be uncomfortable for awhile, but it's SO WORTH IT.

Read here, post here, these forums have been pivotal in my recovery, it's a habit now to post here and read here.

Good luck, you can do it!
Old 10-17-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Getting sober for good was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I hope our support can help you get sober for good too.

In order to stay sober, I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome.

What helped me a lot was to start to take good care of myself. Healthy foods, lots of na fluids, gentle exercise, rest.

Building a good solid routine in my life instead of chaos. Setting a sensible bedtime. Distancing myself from toxic people.

Those are just a few of the changes I made that supported my quit.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi, Reedx,
If you have never experienced detox/withdrawls from quitting alcohol, please see a doctor and get help. It is best to have medical help because it can be dangerous.
The symptoms start about 8-12 hours after your last drink and peak at about 2-3 days. It can be tough and I hope you will start to make a plan to stay sober so you will never have another Day 1.
Glad you found us. Lots of love and support here!
Welcome to SR
Old 10-17-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, Reed. It really helped me to talk things over here - I realized I was never alone. It's great that you're taking action now at such a young age. You'll be avoiding so much misery.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Reedx

If withdrawal is difficult for you I second the idea to see a Dr.
They may be able to help make withdrawal a little more manageable.

D
Old 10-17-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I also think starting with a physician (hopefully one who specializes in substance abuse) is the best first step. She or he can work with you to manage your chronic pain during and after withdrawal. You will likely have some pain as the poison leaves your system because your body has become accustomed to the sedation of alcohol. It's best to have a medical professional on your side to support you through this.

Additionally, I recommend going to some sort of support group. There is nothing more helpful than being around people who get you without need for explanation. I'm currently in an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) - mine did an outpatient detox for me. Additionally, I attend outside meetings on days that I am not at IOP and post here. It's a lot of work for sure, but no more than the effort I invested in getting, ingesting, detoxing and "hiding" my habit. (At the end there was no hiding IT, I could only hide myself away and that was a bad place to be indeed.)

So glad you're here!
I sure wish I'd been so brave when I was your age...

O
Old 10-17-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
waking down

Chronic pain fueled a lot of my misery and alcohol consumption. I found relief with MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction) and then Mindfulness Based Relapse Prevention. I suggest reading about it and maybe searching to see if there is a program in your area. I can say, though, that quitting drinking reduced my pain over time (even before I had surgery to address it). It took a while though...
Old 10-17-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AA and daily visits to this website
Old 10-17-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What I once thought was insurmountable depression turned out to be easily managed when I quit drinking. You'll find many other things are more easily managed when you're not living at a disadvantage.

There are many techniques to use, but the one that clicked for me was understanding the concept of the addictive voice (AVRT) and learning how to override the urge to drink. Read as much as possible here on SR — it's a rich resource. Also, books, podcasts, blogs ... I tried a bunch of stuff at first and stuck with what worked best.

Mostly, congrats for taking the first step! I was in my twenties too when I realized I had a problem.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone all tips means a lot, I will talk to my doctor, maybe he can get me in to a program to stop this madness I have pretty strong painkillers for my chronic pain, but i do not take them, because I drink and is scared to damage my liver.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Hi, Reedx,
If you have never experienced detox/withdrawls from quitting alcohol, please see a doctor and get help. It is best to have medical help because it can be dangerous.
The symptoms start about 8-12 hours after your last drink and peak at about 2-3 days. It can be tough and I hope you will start to make a plan to stay sober so you will never have another Day 1.
Glad you found us. Lots of love and support here!
Welcome to SR
Thanks alot I have tried to quit a couple of times, but always relapses within 2-3 day
Old 10-20-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SaturatedSeize View Post
Anxiety, depression, that's the name of the game, my friend.

It isn't fun, it's miserable, but the reward is a life free of alcohol, and behaviors that tend to contribute to more negative.

Biggest concept for me that I really grasped onto was the, "one day at a time." I don't know if I'm going to drink tomorrow, all I know is I'm NOT going to drink today. My first week was hell, I had to actually FEEL feelings and it sucked. I stayed busy, worked out a lot, my focus was shot, I was miserable at work, I accomplished very little besides NOT DRINKING. I expected the worst and what I got was close (for me).

Set realistic goals. Make a plan so you don't drink for this hour. Just because you THINK about drinking doesn't mean you are caving in. I still think about drinking a lot, especially on weekends, but I know it leads to misery, depression, sadness, anxiety, regret.

Support system, who is a POSITIVE person for you in your recovery?

Recognizing your habits and high risk times? Are you a nightly drinker? Weekends?

What brings on your urge to drink? Boredom? The feeling? Confidence? Numb the pain?

Once you really acknowledge your habits, you can formulate a plan to combat your cravings. I was a nightly drinker to numb the pain and reality of life.

Are you a group person? What have you tried in the past that hasn't worked? You need to prepare to be uncomfortable for awhile, but it's SO WORTH IT.

Read here, post here, these forums have been pivotal in my recovery, it's a habit now to post here and read here.

Good luck, you can do it!
Thank you
Old 10-20-2017, 09:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rascalwhiteoak View Post
What I once thought was insurmountable depression turned out to be easily managed when I quit drinking. You'll find many other things are more easily managed when you're not living at a disadvantage.

There are many techniques to use, but the one that clicked for me was understanding the concept of the addictive voice (AVRT) and learning how to override the urge to drink. Read as much as possible here on SR — it's a rich resource. Also, books, podcasts, blogs ... I tried a bunch of stuff at first and stuck with what worked best.

Mostly, congrats for taking the first step! I was in my twenties too when I realized I had a problem.
Thanks alot
Old 10-22-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Reedx - Thinking about you and hope you are doing well. Sending positive thoughts your way. I know you can ride this out. In my first days of recovery, I just held on for dear life and stayed here posting and reading. I hope to see you in the chat room again soon. I'm here, got your back....and just know the pain will subside. LuLu
Old 10-22-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Samantha

A visit to your doctor for a check up and then AA.
Stay positive and remember why you need to quit.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How are things going Reedx?