Notices

A couple different opportunities

Old 10-09-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A couple different opportunities

Well, I feel like I need to say I’m incredibly grateful for everyone here. Been trying to get sober for a long time now and I’m starting to get really sick of myself.

Even in this embarrassing rut I seem to be stuck in, I have a couple different opportunities knocking at my door...

One is rehab. Never been to one before, but I was given the info of a woman who manages several different rehabs in my area. I called her Friday and she said she would fully work with me with insurance and getting me placed and all that. I am actually really excited at the mere thought of it, believe it or not.

The second is I have a chance to get my old job back. I quit last March because I fell into some money and wanted to “take a break” from the stress of it all (I didn’t work there too long, but before that and really for the last 15+ years I’ve worked near constantly) but I quickly realized that I really shouldn’t have quit (I’m 32 years old, what was I thinking?) anyway... I’m very happy to be given this opportunity as well, as this job paid me the most I’ve ever been paid, I enjoyed what I did, the people, etc.

I’m curious as to what I should do at this point. I truly think rehab would do me a WORLD of good, and quite possibly learning more about the roots of my problems could stop this ridiculousness once and for all. But, I need to get back on the work band wagon also.

I know only I can make this decision, but from an outsider’s perspective, does anyone have any wise words they can throw my way?

Thanks so much. You all are so great and even though I seem to keep flailing at this, I want to say coming here even just reading posts occasionally has helped me immeasurably.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If I had the ability or means of going to an inpatient rehab I would jump at the chance. However you are correct that only you can make the choice. If you chose to go back to work, there are also options for intensive outpatient therapy.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by GreenSwimmer View Post
Been trying to get sober for a long time now and I’m starting to get really sick of myself.
Is a job going to fix this?
Old 10-09-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
If I had the ability or means of going to an inpatient rehab I would jump at the chance. However you are correct that only you can make the choice. If you chose to go back to work, there are also options for intensive outpatient therapy.

Good luck with your decision!
Thank you, Sinderos! Really appreciate your input.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Is a job going to fix this?
Very good point. I’m leaning more toward rehab, it’s just that bills are starting to come in and I’m afraid soon start piling up. But, I also know I have to fix myself in order to be any good at any job.

Thank you!
Old 10-09-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by GreenSwimmer View Post
But, I also know I have to fix myself in order to be any good at any job.
That's some good insight GreenSwimmer. Sobriety is right there for the taking for anyone...but it need to be given priority. And for most of us it had to be given priority over anything else to get started.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That's some good insight GreenSwimmer. Sobriety is right there for the taking for anyone...but it need to be given priority. And for most of us it had to be given priority over anything else to get started.
Thank you so much, Scott. Everyone’s positive thoughts and words of encouragement are more than appreciated.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with the consensus - recovery is the axle on which the wheel of my life turns - a busted axle = I'm not going anywhere.

get the recovery down first imo

D
Old 10-12-2017, 12:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think that you can probably make it with one more month off work. The bills will keep coming in, but you can slowly and steadily pay them off when you get back. Rehab could save your life and help you come and even better worker and more importantly a better, healthier, happier person. Rehab saved my life, it jump started my recovery in a way nothing else had come close to. It was a fantastic experience all around and I highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I think that you can probably make it with one more month off work. The bills will keep coming in, but you can slowly and steadily pay them off when you get back. Rehab could save your life and help you come and even better worker and more importantly a better, healthier, happier person. Rehab saved my life, it jump started my recovery in a way nothing else had come close to. It was a fantastic experience all around and I highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.

Thank you so much. Helps a lot reading everyone’s posts and input.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I agree with the consensus - recovery is the axle on which the wheel of my life turns - a busted axle = I'm not going anywhere.

get the recovery down first imo

D
Thank you very much, Dee. Sure do appreciate you.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great question!

For me:
I'd choose inpatient treatment. That is if I were single, no kids, and was able to get in with little to no money.

I personally couldn't do that now because I have a family, a job and bills. While working and having a family, I am still able to manage my recovery like, most of us here have. So, if you take the job, you may have to work a little harder.

Could you be honest with the employer and let them know you'd like the job after you complete the program. They may look at that with high integrity!