Notices

I'm back

Old 09-27-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back

So I'm back after being off the wagon for several months. Today is day 3 without a drink and I'm more determined than ever. My thinking is "no matter what happens I'm not going to drink".. yesterday everything was going wrong, I mean everything. I just kept saying "I'm not going to drink".. today as I lay in bed about to start my day I prepare myself to be strong. The devil throws so much at you when you trying to stop drinking..
Old 09-27-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I read something about the subconcious not being able to absorb negatives, thus the thougt "don't drink" in the subconcious becomes drink. Like when you tell someone "don't drop that tray" and they immediately drop it.

My experience went something like don't drink, don't drink, don't drink, don't drink, drink. Over and over.

I think now that it was more effective for me to focus on positive actions like go to aa meetings, work the steps, try and help someone else in some way, try prayer, try to get out of self. Looking back at your old posts I have the feeling that you may need to do more than not drinking.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So I'm back after being off the wagon for several months.

And that all started with just one drink, which probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

I think it was the actor Robert Downey Jr. who was interviewed one summer about his drinking. He responded (in mid July) "I'm not going to drink today, I've got plans for Christmas."

If you can identify with that statement, you need to take some serious action steps. For me, two of those were getting on this website everyday, and giving up and trying AA.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

home
Old 09-27-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back and I'm glad you're determined to do this. Do you have a recovery plan to help you through the upcoming days and weeks.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem back Toni
Got any ideas on how you'll stay sober?

D