Notices

Start of Journey

Old 09-27-2017, 03:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Start of Journey

Hello,
This is day 2 my alcohol free journey. I have tried this so many times before and never really got beyond 7 days dry. Unfortunately when I have had a dry period previously I have felt confident and started drinking again excessively, and the cycle continues.
I hope this time is different, for me alcohol is impacting my health, my family and my finances.
I feel like there is a possibility that my kids may be young enough to not associate me as a drinker if I clean up my act.
Looking forward to reading and being apart of this forum as I believe it will be helpful to sticking to the dry journey.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Griffinsgal, 2 days sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Griffinsgal😀 I hope this is your time to turn things. I only have 24 days myself but SR has been a massive support in getting me this far. Good luck!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel like I could have written the same post. I go maybe two weeks tops and then give in. You can do this!
Old 09-27-2017, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! For me, one of the keys to staying sober was finally admitting that I will never be able to moderate my drinking. Once you accept that simple fact, the only sane thing to do is give up forever. Stay strong , it will get easier with time!
Old 09-27-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Unfortunately when I have had a dry period previously I have felt confident and started drinking again excessively

That's a typical alcoholic pattern, I did that for a long time.

So what are you going to different to stay sober this time?
Old 09-27-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Don't see it as a journey , recognize that you are already 'there'.

You had your last drink two days ago, congratulations on that decision!

Any doubt in our ability to remain abstinent , or thought of future drinking is your AV( additive voice, that little voice 'in your head' that when you listen to and agree with) leads to more booze. But that voice is only thought and can be dismissed.

Learning about AVRT/RR ( great threads on these ideas right here on SR in the Secular Connections forum) helped me formulate my Big Plan " I will never drink again , and never change my mind" and how to disassociate with any thought that goes against that plan. You can too

There is a 1000% guaranteed scenario where kids know you as a nondrinker, Quit , not stop and hope to not start again, Quit fullstop.

Next time you have the chance to be alone in a quiet room, think /say o yourself that you will never drink again , ever, no matter what. And then 'hear' all the doubt/dissapointment the AV throws up. Hear it , don't listen to it , just hear IT confident in the fact that they are only thoughts and can be dismissed. You are in control of the 'parts' that go to the store, open the bottles and pour it down your throat, not the quadriplegic parasite that bombards You thoughts and feelings about booze.

IT can go pound sand, YOU have decided to not drink.

IT wants to 'start' on a 'journey' because that implies the possibility of failure, and that's a lie, you are already there! , you crossed the line two days ago, and again congratulations ! You got this!
Old 09-27-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome welcome! Glad you're here

Old 09-27-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 09-27-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow! Thankyou all for the encouragement and support. Just what I needed.
Went to bed same time as my children this evening again, my husband came home with wine.
When you have tried and tried to quit before, announced it, talked about it at length, when your feeling disgusting and guilty the conversation gets so old when there's is no change.
Didn't say anything about quitting this time, just announced early that I won't be having any and I won't be in the future.
I have no expectations of tying my success to his, or making him change, there's no strength in that! Been there done that.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I first stopped drinking, I heard everything from "you're not an alcoholic" to "I'll believe it when I see it".

It started to sink in I had to stay strong and seek sobriety for myself.

It was probably the first time in my life I stopped listening to everybody else's opinions.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Don't see it as a journey , recognize that you are already 'there'.

You had your last drink two days ago, congratulations on that decision!

Any doubt in our ability to remain abstinent , or thought of future drinking is your AV( additive voice, that little voice 'in your head' that when you listen to and agree with) leads to more booze. But that voice is only thought and can be dismissed.

Learning about AVRT/RR ( great threads on these ideas right here on SR in the Secular Connections forum) helped me formulate my Big Plan " I will never drink again , and never change my mind" and how to disassociate with any thought that goes against that plan. You can too

There is a 1000% guaranteed scenario where kids know you as a nondrinker, Quit , not stop and hope to not start again, Quit fullstop.

Next time you have the chance to be alone in a quiet room, think /say o yourself that you will never drink again , ever, no matter what. And then 'hear' all the doubt/dissapointment the AV throws up. Hear it , don't listen to it , just hear IT confident in the fact that they are only thoughts and can be dismissed. You are in control of the 'parts' that go to the store, open the bottles and pour it down your throat, not the quadriplegic parasite that bombards You thoughts and feelings about booze.

IT can go pound sand, YOU have decided to not drink.

IT wants to 'start' on a 'journey' because that implies the possibility of failure, and that's a lie, you are already there! , you crossed the line two days ago, and again congratulations ! You got this!
Excellent post! I'm only on day 2 of admitting my problem too. the support from the people on his site is really encouraging me that i wont listen to that voice when it comes calling.

Welcome Griffinsgal
Old 09-27-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-27-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Griffinsgal

D
Old 09-27-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can do it Griffinsgal
Old 09-27-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, Griffinsgal. SR saved me after 30 yrs. of drinking. Not being alone anymore made all the difference. You can do this.