Notices

Just days away from 6 months and I fail

Old 10-17-2017, 10:11 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Mera -

Edit - I was reading on my phone and just saw the first page and my first post was in response to your initial post! Glad you are feeling better.

I am so sorry that you had to go through the relapse. ((((((hugs)))))
Old 10-18-2017, 02:32 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

ok, I am back form the interview. It lasted just over a half an hour. I think it went well. The woman I met on Saturday was there along with the owner/director. The woman I met was really kind and helpful in front of the director. She made several helpful comments such as "as he says we are looking for xyzzy, which is exactly the experience you have.."
I was crazy nervous but somehow pulled it together and I did as well as I could have. They are conducting a lot of interviews though, I saw another woman coming in as I was leaving. They told me they would make a decision and let me know by the beginning of next week. So now I just have to wait. I plan on taking a little rest now as I woke so early, then early afternoon taking a walk to burn off some steam. Thanks for your support everyone.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Mera, Sometimes after making it through a challenge sober (like the interview) one needs to be more vigilant than usual when it comes to taking the first drink. Making plans for today, achieving a small goal or two would be beneficial.

The matter of who they choose for the job is now in the hands of the employer and with God. You did your part, now let the universe do its part.

Hang in there. Nothing--no thing, person, party to attend, or man, etc--is more important than your sobriety and your relationship with the Higher Power.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Mera, that's fantastic! You did the best you could, and that's most any of us can do. Stay alert. Best of luck! I got one job by following up with a thought-through email. The manager was impressed, he said noone ever did that, beyond a standard thank-you. That got me a second interview and the job eventually. Not sure if this applies or helps, just sharing my experience, and we all know you write so very well. I totally hear you about really wanting a job! I have also been rejected from jobs I really wanted, even when I thought the interview went swimmingly. Regardless how it turns out, you did brilliantly. You didn't sabotage yourself, you have really grown over the last few years, you should be so proud!
Old 10-20-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Hi all, I didn't check in yesterday as I have gone into a full-blown sinus infection. I get one every year and am just tired of it! I went by the pharmacy yesterday and my pharmacist told me that it could be allergy related. I don't get allergies in the summer, but apparently some people get them in the winter. So, I have had enough of this and will finally go see my doctor about it. These things are brutal for me and usually drag on for over a month. Not this year, off to the doctor!

I saw my psychologist yesterday and feel that we finally turned a corner. I have decided I like her, I trust her and I think she can help me. I was planning to stick it out anyway, but I am glad that things clicked yesterday. She is a planner and organiser and has a very goal-oriented approach which I relate to and like. We talked about the major issues that we need to work on and of course, my alcoholism is at the top of that list. However, there are a few underlying issues which could be risks for a relapse, those need to be addressed. I like this very clear approach instead of kind of wandering all around for an hour.
We did talk a little bit about the previous week, my job interview and my thoughts of drinking. I told her how I had prepared myself in order to protect myself from a relapse. She was really positive about this and told me I should be proud of myself and you know what, I am! I really thought through what was coming up before the interview, I worked very hard at staying calm. I thought clearly about the interview and the period after, recognising my pattern of experiencing a strong come-down from stress and thinking ahead of time of strategies to combat that. I clearly prepared myself for the fact that thoughts of drinking and cravings would come up- had they not, even better, but I prepared myself for the fact that it was likely to happen as it always has been that way- and I thought of a strategy ahead of time to deal with that if and when it did occur. So, when I left the interview I was ready and sure enough, with the first bar I passed on my way home it started. Having prepared myself for it I was able to call it out for what it was- "ah, your typical reaction after a stressful event Mera, nothing new here but this time it will be different" So I went home and just made a deal with myself to ride it out no matter how hard it got. I put my pre-programmed plan into place: checking in here, sleeping it off, then going for a walk with music and in the evening checking in with my sponsor. I won't say it was the most pleasurable day or even easy, but I knew that all I had to do was stick it out and sure enough I woke up the following day feeling much better. And yes, I am proud of that. When she said I did well I started crying, it felt so good for someone to acknowledge what a battle this can be sometimes and to acknowledge my progress and success.

Today I am not really making any big goals for myself as I think rest is in order. I must push myself to get to the doctor though. I love our free healthcare here, but one big drawback is that there are no appointments. You just go to the doctor during her visiting hours and take a number and wait. Sometimes the wait is over two hours- not so fun when you are feeling ill and are surrounded by a lot of other sick people. But it is what it is so I just need to push through it. I must remember that there is an on-call doctor who can make a home visit if you are too unwell to go into the doctor, but that requires calling the same number you call for an ambulance- given the fact that the ambulance service has been a regular visitor to my house over the past several years due to drinking I don't want to call them again. I'm embarrassed and don't want to feel as though I am taking advantage of the services. Yet another consequence of drinking!
Old 10-20-2017, 02:01 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better and have a good weekend ahead Mera

D
Old 10-20-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

You're being proactive, taking care of yourself, and really working this sobriety thing.

I'm proud to know you
Old 10-20-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Mera, such good news--well, not about being under the weather which I hope passes soon. The fact that you talked back to your disease (some here call it AV) when you passed by that bar IS something to be proud of.

Just the other day I talked back to my disease when it suggested I have a snack after having a delicious and healthy dinner. No frigging way! As I turned off the kitchen light, I said to myself "kitchen closed" and went off to bed.

I'm also glad to hear that you're comfortable with your therapist. I also like the goal oriented approach--that you're not just talking about how your week went.

"Sticking it out" as you described it is easier to do once you've done it once. When the thought of drinking returns, I can say to myself, "I didn't drink before, I don't have to this time."

One last comment, having the thought to drink doesn't mean I'm not working my program. The disease is cunning, baffling and powerful--and oh so patient. It knows what my weaknesses are, waits for when I'm vulnerable to quietly approach with a lateral attack. [You gotta remember, I was in the Army so I like using military & battle jargon to describe things].

Keep up the good work and I hope you feel better soon.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Meraviglioso - Just read your thread and have to say, you are definitely not alone. Heck, my thread subject line posted back in April reads "Alone and scared, I don't want to drink anymore". I had 2 good sober months and then BOOM, one glass of wine at lunch with a friend and there I was back again. Slowly it got worse and worse...more and more. One sip to one glass to a bottle to everyday, etc. A SR friend posted this the other day in 'Class of October 2017' thread:

"You know who I am, you’ve called me your friend,
Wishes of misery and heartache I send
I want only to see that you’re brought to your knees
I’m the devil inside you, I am your disease.

I’ll invade all your thoughts, I’ll take hostage your soul
I’ll become your new master, in total control
I’ll maim your emotions, I’ll run the whole game
Till your entire existence is crippled with shame.

When you call me I come, sometimes in disguise
Quite often I’ll take you by total surprise
But take you I will, and just as you’ve feared
I’ll want only to hurt you, with no mercy spared.

If you have your own family, Ill see its destroyed
I’ll steal every pleasure in life you’ve enjoyed
I’ll not only hurt you, I’ll kill if I please
I’m your worst living nightmare, I am your disease.

I bring self destruction, but still you can’t tell
I’ll sweep you through heaven, then drop you in hell
I’ll chase you forever, wherever you go
And then when I catch you, you won’t even know.

I’ll sometimes lay silent, just waiting to strike
What’s yours becomes mine, cause I take what I like
I’ll take all you own and I won’t care who sees
I’m your constant companion… I am your disease.

If you have any honour, I’ll strip it away
You’ll lose all your hope and forget how to pray
I’ll leave you in darkness, while blindly you stare
I’ll reduce you to nothing, and won’t even care
So, don’t take for granted my powers sublime
I’ll bend and I’ll break you, time after time
I’ll crumble your world with the greatest of ease
I’m that madman inside you…I am your disease.

But today I’m real angry…you want to know why?
I let this treatment center full of Addicts entirely slip by
How did I lose you? Where did I go wrong?
One minute I had you…then next you were gone.

You just can’t dismiss all the good times we’ve shared
When you were alone…wasn’t it I who appeared?
When you sold those possessions you knew you would need
Wasn’t I the first one who stepped in and agreed

Now look at you bastards, you’re all thinking clear
You escaped with your lives when you found your way here
Only fools think they’re winners when admitting defeat
It’s what you must say when you’re claiming that seat
Go ahead and surrender, if that’s what you choose
But, I’m not giving up. cause I can’t stand to lose.

So stand in your groups and support hand in hand
Better choices will save you…leaving me to be damned
Well, be damned all you people seeking treatment each week
Be damned inner strength, however unique
Be damned all your sayings, be damned your cliches
Be damned every addict, who back to me strays.

For I know it will happen, I’ve seen it before
Those who love misery will crawl back for more
So take comfort in knowing, I’m waiting right here
But next time around, you’d just better beware.

You think that you’re stronger or smarter this time’
There isn’t a mountain or hill you can’t climb.
Well if that’s what you’re thinkin, you ain’t learned a thing
I’ll still knock you silly if you step back in my ring
But you say you’ve surrendered, so what can I do?
It’s so sad in a way, I had big plans for you
Creating your nightmare for me was a dream
I’m sure gonna miss you…we made quite a team.

So please don’t forget me, I won’t forget you
I’ll stand by your side watching all that you do
I’m ready and waiting, so call if you please
I won’t let you forget me…I am your disease."
Old 10-21-2017, 01:56 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone and thank you LuLu for that poem, very powerful read and so very true.

Not much to report here today. I took my kids to their father this morning so I will have the day to myself to rest. I need to iron too, I have a mountain to go through. That is my least favorite household chore, I just hate it. But it must be done. I know I will feel good once I get it all done. I'd like to take a walk, but will see how I feel later. If I am feeling up to it I might go into town later to go.... are you ready for it..... Christmas shopping! The postal system here is SO slow so if I want to send gifts back to the US for the holidays I need to get on that soon. We are in the middle of the olive harvest here too, so I will include some fresh pressed oil. My best friend gave birth to her first child in May of this year. As a mother of two sons I just LOVE shopping for her little baby girl, I'll surely have a big bundle of things for her! But, not pushing myself today, I am taking the medications my doctor gave me and hoping to feel better by the end of the weekend.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better soon, Mera. I am in Virginia and have followed your posts from the beginning. You are amazing, and I wish you all the best. I have a pile of ironing too, and I hope to at least deal with some of it tomorrow!
Old 10-22-2017, 01:38 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

ugh ed2715 it is ironing day Not having a dryer means everything has to be ironed, it is such a pain. But I have a lot of time today so that is what is on the agenda. I also, wait for it, bought a new vacuum cleaner yesterday. I pushed my last one to the bitter end. It was not really sucking very well for a long time but I hate throwing away all that plastic if it is still possible to use it- that and spending the money. But it finally completely stopped working, I could smell a burning smell and then it just stopped. I found a really nice one that was on sale for €99! I actually kind of excited to use it today.

Oh and by the way, I am from Virginia too, a beautiful state.

I am still feeling a little bit under the weather but think I am on the upswing. I got quite a bit of rest yesterday. Early afternoon I got a message from the woman who I interviewed with. She said that she had something to ask me and wondered if we could meet at the bar where we initially made first contact. I wasn't planning on going anywhere last night but of course I said yes. I was very nervous and even a little upset all afternoon, I thought for sure that she was going to tell me that they had chosen someone else and then ask me about English lessons as kind of a consolation prize. But, I decided in my mind that even if that was the case it was a really nice thing she was doing to meet with me and tell me in person, very kind. So I went and we found a table to sit and speak. She said that they interviewed about 20 people and at the end her boss (who was also in on the interview) told her that they should go think separately and list their top two candidates and then get back together to discuss. She told me that she made her list with me in the number one spot and a British girl in the second spot. Her boss had the same British girl in the number one spot and me in the second spot. So basically 50/50 situation! His one push for the other girl is that she is much younger than me, without any children and therefore he thought would be more available to travel for work. The woman said "but wait, we didn't even ask about that in the interview, maybe Mera IS available to travel as well" So she called me to ask me that. I said that yes, I absolutely could arrange for short business trips. I said that I would be happy to send a note to that effect if she though it would be a good idea. She thought it over and decided that yes, he would appreciate that so she gave me his email and hers as well saying I could copy her on the mail. I will send an email today saying that I spoke to C and she mentioned this issue of travel and that yes, that is something I would be available to do. So looking up, but I still am keeping my feet on the ground with this one, they may very well choose the other girl.

Off for one more cup of coffee and a little more SR and then ironing. wash wahhh wahhhhhhhh
Old 10-22-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Wow!
Good luck on this!

Bill
Old 10-23-2017, 01:44 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Hello SR and happy Monday. Well, today is the day that I may find out about the job. I am not nervous really, but I am very much some sort of emotion- maybe anxious. I just know it is going to be a pretty tough blow if I don't get this job and that may very well be the outcome given that the boss has someone else in the number one position. It is not just having a job, it is that this job sounds so interesting and even fun. It is completely in line with my interests, yet would draw form my very solid experience. No need to go on about that.... I just have to wait for the response and then take it with grace whatever they decide. I am a big believer in never burning bridges and that every new introduction or relationship can be important and useful. If they don't choose me I will be sure to periodically remain in contact, possibly something else could come up.

I have an individual karate lesson scheduled at 12 today, that should distract me a little bit and the exercise is always good.

After that I need to come home and do some work for my current job- one that is becoming more and more irritating the closer I get to finding something else. That is not good. I still want to provide top-notch service the my clients, up until the very end. That whole not burning bridges things and all....
Old 10-23-2017, 01:46 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Administrator

Continued best wishes Mera

D
Old 10-23-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

fingers are crossed
Old 10-23-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Good morning Mera,

To be in the top two slots out of twenty applicants is wonderful! Congratulations on that achievement. Good attitude about not burning bridges--you just never know what Higher Power has in store for you!

I don't iron as much as you do but as I like to wear cotton clothes--especially in the summer, ironing is one of my regular chores. If I iron something for myself, I pick out a shirt to do for my husband. Learning not to be self centered is a life long assignment for me (smile).
Old 10-23-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

I'm happy to hear you sounding so good, Mera. I do hope you get the job. Fingers and toes crossed. But if you don't get it, you can handle that too. We are all rooting for you.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:31 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Meraviglioso,
I just read through Akasha’s thread, how you’ve helped him get ready for his attempt to stop doing meth.
Whatever the outcome, I am in awe of your humanity and your courage! What you did today was outstanding and I pull my hat. Ti chiami ‘Meraviglioso’ e tu sei veramente una meravigliglia. Sogni d’oro!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:38 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Keep posting here Mera, you are a testament that relapse does NOT mean your journey has ended or that you have failed. You are on a journey and you are not alone! <3