Notices

Just days away from 6 months and I fail

Old 12-03-2017, 12:58 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Good morning! It is beautiful here to day which means garden work. I need to mow the grass today. It is less appealing due to the cold, but I really need to cut it one more time before full on winter arrives.
I have had a really productive weekend so far, i got a lot of things done yesterday morning, had an English lesson late morning, then lunch and a huge grocery shop to start preparing of the party I am having. With my limited time I need to start preparing some foods now and freezing them. I've sorted out which dishes will freeze well and am starting on those this weekend.
As I mentioned above, I feel really good about hosting this event but I want to go into it wisely. Not finding myself pressed for time and stressed trying to get it all done at the last minute is part of that. I have written out a timeline and if all goes according to plan I will even be able to sleep in the day of the party (sleeping in for me being 8, 8:30...) and will have time to go have my hair done. We'll see. So far everything is on schedule if not ahead of schedule.

I did have one kind of trying experience yesterday. I was in the check out line of the supermarket and felt someone put their hand on my shoulder. I turned to find my ex-boyfriend. It is not that it has been so long since I have seen him, but I have really been trying to enforce the no contact thing so we stop falling back into the same cycles of not having clear boundaries regarding our break up. I was startled by the intensity of emotions it brought up. Mostly they were negative. I was kind of annoyed, I felt like I just can't escape from him, I felt followed, I felt like my privacy was invaded. I realise that these feelings are for the most part irrational- I was in a public place, a place he has every right to be too and a place where I have no real right to "privacy". He also, I am sure, does not follow me. But right or wrong, that is what I felt at the time. I think I felt guilty and embarrassed that I had a big shopping cart full of stuff for the party- the party he is not invited to. It was not his idea to end the relationship. I imagine he would feel sad about not being invited. He commented on the full cart "wow, that is a lot of stuff" I just got more and more frustrated and annoyed, I didn't want him looking at me, my cart, what I had chosen to buy. Again, irrational. But that's how it was for me.
Today is a new day and I am going to keep myself busy, hopefully it will continue to lessen with time.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Mr

Your English is super Mera.
And everyone, well nearly everyone, hates bumping into people in the check out lines.... that awkward have a chat for everyone to listen to moment

Have a good day.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Your English is super Mera.
I hope so, it’s my native tongue!! . I’m American, born and raised. Just ended up in Italy 11 years ago and stayed despite the bad food, bad art and bad scenery!

And yes, you are right about the supermarket checkout!
Old 12-03-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Mr

Oops.
I thought those tiny kitchen vids were dubbed
Take care.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

A) It sounds like you learned a valuable lesson, so this was NOT a waste of an experience. Something you needed to learn, how cunning baffling and powerful this demon of a disease can be.

B) You only fail when you stop trying. You can do this. You didn't lose your 6 months, you simply drank for a day (or two or whatever it was). Dust yourself off and get back on track because you can do this! You were already showing us (and yourself) that you can do this by obtaining 6 months (give or take)!

C) I am not saying that makes relapse acceptable.... because lots of us don't make it back. But it sounds like you're here, sober, posting, so you have another chance.

I believe in you.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Whoops I'm sorry for not noticing this post was so old, LOL! I hope I didn't dig up any old feelings. I just read the first post and made my reply.

Keep on keepin on and everything I said is still true regardless!! <3
Old 12-03-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

So true abut the cart.

feeling judged.

putting things in his mind.

I have been there so many times.

You sound good. How are you?
Old 12-03-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

I get it--most of my ex folk have long moved on, but since I work in my hometown,
for years and years my husband and I kept "seeing" various exboyfriends when out.

Oh well, I did have a life before you dear hubbie
Old 12-07-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Getting through a difficult situation once makes it a little easier to do the next time.

Each little victory grows into a lot of experience and wisdom that can be drawn from when the s#*t hits the fan. I'm proud of you and happy for you.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Hi Mera, I've been on SR several times before, and I'm now de-lurking again to make a truly serious attempt at recovery (not just sobriety). I've always loved your writing style, candor, and descriptions of life in Italy. Thank you.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

I agree. Six months shows that you can do it. You can and you will. Don’t let a minor setback stop you.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

What's up Mera?