Notices

What's your secret???

Old 09-19-2017, 11:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Kiki at 51 days I,m not as solid time wise as many here so I am popping in here to read and learn .

Best Wishes
Old 09-19-2017, 11:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don't have a secret for you Iam afraid.

Just hard work, commitment and actions and you will be fine. I know it's not glamorous or pretty but it's the solution.

I like you wanted the secret formula the magic bullet that I could find and then all my problems and addictions would disappear over night.

Unfortunately it's taken me nearly 1 year of continuous sobriety to finally sort a lot of my issues out.

Good luck in your journey, it's worth the effort.

Onwards
Herc
Old 09-20-2017, 02:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Maybe it's karma. What goes around comes around. Reap what you sow?

It is not really a secret. In AA we try and help other alcoholics without thought of reward. Yet the rewards are huge. It is backed up by research that says those who help others have a much greater chance of staying sober themselves.

I remember an event very early in sobriety where my sponsor got me to give someone a lift to a meeting, and take them home after. I remember how good I felt afterwards that I had done something really worth while. It felt great and I wanted more of that. Strange as it may seem, when I am experiencing those kinds of feelings, which is most of the time these days, drinking just does not come into the picture.

However, if I get focused on self, trying to get things my way and so forth, love myself, fix myself, assert myself, that feeling of self worth seems elusive.

I think the answer really is to fit ourselves to be of maximum use to God and our fellows. That is a reliable path to permanent recovery.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trying to be Sober since 23/08/2017

Hi there

I don't have so many days/years as some other SR members, so I don't know any secrets, yet. However, I can share what helps keeping me sober (for almost 30 days now).

Since I stopped drinking I discovered I had much more free time on my hands. I began doing things that I loved doing prior to my drinking problem. I wiped the dust off my beloved DSLR Camera, which I haven't used for more than 10 years, and started going out after work and take pictures. When I was sober I loved to do Yoga. I was even a teacher at one point. Began doing that again.
While I keep my mind and body busy with things I love, I noticed that day after another I began thinking less about drinking. At this point there are days that I don't even think about booze at all. Of course there are those days that I struggle with, but every time it happens I remember the feat I've accomplished so far and don't want it to go to waste.

I hope you will find what makes your journey easier!
Best of luck to you!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Continuous maintenance on my recovery
program each day I remain sober.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
no secret, just a simple formula;

{The CHOICE to embrace sobriety** * {the ACTIONS to support that choice** + {the commitment+the dedication to stick to the choice every day** = The TREMENDOUS VALUE of life in sobriety - (Which in turn becomes a multiplier of itself).

Ditto.
I decided to quit.
I started my plan of action, AA.
I learned.
I did the steps with my sponsor and made my ONLY choice to live and grow in recovery.
I added the things people mention above- health things, self care etc.

I have a beautiful life that is completely different than any I had or any I could have imagined, and I practice what it takes to keep it every day.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I really believe there is no secret. For myself, I am type A personality. Perfectionist, list maker, organized etc. When I set my mind to do something I just do it. It's on my permanent list to stay sober and that's what I'm gonna do. I'm also far too stubborn to give into my own negative habits. I gave up caffiene, smoking and booze all on the same day. Lemme tell you what a treat I was to be around. But honestly, no secret. Be kind to yourself. Allow yourself to make mistakes and have set backs.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I talk to other women in AA. I let people know what is going on with me and inside my head....particularly the awful things my head tells me about myself and everyone else. It has saved my @rse to have strong sober women to talk to - who understand the insanity of addiction.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow!

Thanks so much for all your words of wisdom! I just read all of them several times. Lots of good tools!
Old 09-21-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Now, put them to use
Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Great thread. Thank you to all who posted. I feel such optimism reading this.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
09/26/2015

I play the tape all the way through if I merely fantasize for one second about using/drinking. Also, I try as hard as I can to hit 3 AA meetings a week. I call my sponsor almost every day to check in. I have just added counseling once a week because there are definitely still some issues I need extra help with. I also try to chair a meeting once/twice a month. This has worked so far! If I go to fewer meetings I get very very messed up in my head and act as though. This has all worked so far and on Tuesday I will have 2 years.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Editor

For me....never give up on yourself. I stop and laugh at myself sometimes....actually a lot....I basically talk to myself like the old skit from SNL "Jack Handy" Your good enough, smart enough and Gosh darnit....People like YOU. Kind of silly....But you know what...it works for me...I love life now and that love is my motivation. I dont ever want to slide down into those pits I once slugged through barely surviving.
Peace
D
Old 09-21-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Reading on SR every day, exercising daily, new hobbies, church, and gratitude for everything. Just acceptance that I can't drink again.