Notices

Hoping to make this day 3

Old 09-07-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would give anything for my dad to acknowledge his problems with alcohol and he is the same age as you. I would be so proud of him, and it is never ever too late. You have so many years ahead of you, if you quit drinking.

So much support here, you made a very good first step.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thomas, that 30 second comment was because I posted two comments too close together. I tried to post a smiley face and two question marks appeared.
It was explained that my posts need to be 30 seconds apart. ��
Old 09-07-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi SnazzyDresser!
Old 09-07-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

icandothis20,

Do you think your dad is really in denial that he has a problem? Does he know you have one? It would be so great if you could do this together, but, of course not possible if he doesn't see it as a problem.

Since the age of 24 I knew I didn't drink quite like others. I liked it a bit too much.
My father was an alcoholic, as are my brothers. Many years ago I had one visit with a therapist (for what I don't remember) and mentioned that I thought I had a problem with drinking. She just said that I should never drink more than two. I should have told her that was the problem....I can't drink just two. I'm sure I was thinking it though, but probably just said, alright.

I believe that anyone that is being controlled by alcohol, does know it on some level.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tansey View Post

I believe that anyone that is being controlled by alcohol, does know it on some level.
I can't speak for everyone but I suspect this is true. Humans have a great talent for denial but on some level every drunk probably knows their drinking isn't 'normal'. I knew early on- perhaps by the time I was in my early 20's- that I wasn't a normal drinker. Of course I always felt that I'd be the special one that learned to drink "normally" someday.

But someday never came. Eventually it dawned on me that I would die drunk and alone someday and no one would even care. There's more living to be done and I realized that's not the way I want my story to end.

Maybe we living in a mechanistic universe where everything runs on invisible clockwork. Or maybe that's just an excuse we make to absolve ourselves of being responsible for our choices. For my own part I didn't hope to become sober, I decided to make it so. Obviously it's easier said than done or alcoholism wouldn't be so insidious.

But I firmly believe that no one is destined to die of alcoholism. No one is beyond help or hope. No matter how bad your life is someone else almost certainly had it worse yet still prevailed. As long as you have breath in you and a will to fight you can make tomorrow better than today. I believe that with every fiber of my being.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Tansey

You'll find a lot of support and good ideas here.

D
Old 09-07-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good luck on day 3. It was my most difficult hurdle too! Stay strong it is possible!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by Tansey View Post
Thank you, Obladi, for sharing that.
I'm impressed and inspired by your commitment and regiment.
I don't know how many times you've tried and began again, but perhaps this time will prove to be IT for you. When I get passed all my current hang-ups, I will hopefully be able begin to do all the necessary things, as you so whole-heartedly have, to be able to begin a life of contentment again.
Glad to be of help, Tansey.

My advice is to disregard the current hang-ups and get going. I'm certainly not past mine by a long shot, but they weren't going away by waiting until I felt able. We're not getting any younger, you know?

And actually starting will make you feel better, I swear. Even if it is uncomfortable going in.

O