Notices

prescribed diazepam

Old 08-25-2017, 12:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes benzos too readily available at least in my area . Ive tried ssri antidepressants at a low dose for anxiety but I couldn't tolerate the side effects .

Here and now I notice the power these things have had on me. As I speak I am looking at the 28 x 2mg pack wanting to flush down the toilet and finding something in me saying no . My God I didn,t realize I was so psychologically affected by this .
Old 08-25-2017, 04:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Perhaps my recent experience may be of use to you,Th.
Recently, for a bucketload of reasons- I have started getting migraines again. I am resolute about NOT taking any pain relief for my burns-scars and grafts.. That pain gets pretty crap, but is a chronic pain I have to learn to live with.
BUT migraines are debilitating and for me- can last weeks. I cannot function- or eat. So I now take aspirin and a phenergan tablet (anti-h, migraines also seasonal-also now living in the same area I used to get them). At best it removes the migraine- just leaving a headache. At worst it stops it getting worse. So I know I am safe- be-c I do not take these meds to feel a buzz.
As others have said- a question really for your doc.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have not used any meds but I would say go with your instincts.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
Thanks for all the input on this .
Exactly Biminiblue ,if I know I have benzos in the house my chances of relapse to alcohol will increase dramatically , I know that because this is the way I used these in the past . I need to be truthful here or else i,m in trouble . Because we have half a dozen GPs in our practice some of them locum doctors who dont really know me quite readily write a diazepam prescription and previously I have saved these up while I wasnt drinking so I am actually deliberately deceiving the GP in order to provide myself with benzo medication on standby in preparation for a relapse . If this isnt addictive behavior I dont know what is . So looking at this another way ,as long as I have a stash of benzos at hand I might never maintain long term sobriety .
If I am going to move forward I need to come clean and tell my Main GP this is what I do .
Going back to my first post ,YES I was given the prescription to take the low dose as required but looking at it again the whole truth was not fully explained , not to deceive anyone but to maybe lead me into getting this pattern stopped .
To be honest I dont know myself why I worded it as I did , all I know is I have a history of drink -benzo-sober-save benzo-drink benzo-sober ..............

I feel terrible that I kept this dirty little secret from you .
I think this is an excellent post, Thomas.

No shame, it's just you figuring out your past patterns. In my case, xanax (which is just basically a shorter-acting valium) was prescribed to calm me down in a stressful job. All well and good, but I was prescribed 2X daily @10mg each. I used that, every day. It gave me the same feeling as a couple drinks would and I didn't feel a need to abuse it - BUT - if I would have had two or three prescriptions for it, I think I would have been taking a couple or three at a time, and I have a friend who does just that. She isn't a big drinker, but she'll take four or five xanax and she gets as loopy as a stunt kite.

Keep talking about it.

I weaned myself off them a couple years before I quit drinking. I knew they were bad news. In the end I was drinking again and taking xanax (and several other prescribed things for anxiety and depression.) The xanax helped with the morning-after withdrawals from alcohol so I didn't even have to deal with the consequences of my drinking. I lied to my doctor about how much I was drinking because she had told me she wouldn't prescribe them if I was drinking due to the danger of mixing them. So, yeah. Lies and secrets, lol. Kind of goes with the denial, right? Lie to myself, lie to the doctor, vicious circle.

You're among friends who understand.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
Thanks for all the input on this .
Exactly Biminiblue ,if I know I have benzos in the house my chances of relapse to alcohol will increase dramatically , I know that because this is the way I used these in the past . I need to be truthful here or else i,m in trouble . Because we have half a dozen GPs in our practice some of them locum doctors who dont really know me quite readily write a diazepam prescription and previously I have saved these up while I wasnt drinking so I am actually deliberately deceiving the GP in order to provide myself with benzo medication on standby in preparation for a relapse . If this isnt addictive behavior I dont know what is . So looking at this another way ,as long as I have a stash of benzos at hand I might never maintain long term sobriety .
If I am going to move forward I need to come clean and tell my Main GP this is what I do .
Going back to my first post ,YES I was given the prescription to take the low dose as required but looking at it again the whole truth was not fully explained , not to deceive anyone but to maybe lead me into getting this pattern stopped .
To be honest I dont know myself why I worded it as I did , all I know is I have a history of drink -benzo-sober-save benzo-drink benzo-sober ..............

I feel terrible that I kept this dirty little secret from you .
I think it's really good you typed that out. It's like reaffirming that the benzos play a part in your alcohol addiction. I think telling your dr is a great step, as well as getting rid of the benzos your AV wants you to keep. Good for you Thomas