Notices

Invited out for drinks by coworkers - I knew this was coming

Old 08-12-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am by no means an expert only 83 days in. But telling a fib is ok too.

I haven't announced to anyone that I quit drinking. I am not ready to do the thing where they question my statement and tell me I am/was fine and I didn't drink that much and there are people who drink way more than me and I can just come and have one and blah blah blah. Or to answer their questions about it. Or have people start tippy-toeing and whispering around the alcoholic. Or whatever.

I don't want to put myself in a position where I have to defend my decision to quit drinking when I still feel vulnerable about the whole thing all by myself. I told myself all of those lies for years while I was still drinking.

First thing I did was start scheduling appointments right after work whenever I could on those days. But you don't have to have an actual appointment, just say you do. You can say you have other plans or have to meet the plumber (or whoever) at your house. Do you have pets? Say you have to go home and feed the cat or let the dog out and then just go home and stay home and if they ask what happened, tell them something came up you can't talk about right now, or you sat down on the couch and decided to not get up again, or that you closed your eyes for 5 minutes and fell asleep for hours.

I feel that one day I will be strong and confident enough to say that I quit drinking (because I can't control it) and not care what the other person thinks or says or feels about it. I am sure you will feel that way too.