Notices

The dark place in my brain

Old 08-11-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
Would you miss your girlfriend more if she left you?
Definitely, no question about that.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thevalley05 View Post
Definitely, no question about that.
Maybe try 3 months of no drinking then.....you might be pleasantly surprised
Old 08-11-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
"

By the way, repeatedly drinking to the point of blacking out, saying horrible things when you're drunk, insisting you don't have an alcohol addiction, are all classic indicators of a serious alcohol addiction.
So eloquent and true. Yikes that is me. Here I am drinking again but alone so I don't think I can cause any harm to anyone today - I will be back on the sober bus on Monday.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Maybe try 3 months of no drinking then.....you might be pleasantly surprised
I think maybe that could be a good option, I could try 3 months and then see how I felt.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBlueNew View Post
So eloquent and true. Yikes that is me. Here I am drinking again but alone so I don't think I can cause any harm to anyone today - I will be back on the sober bus on Monday.
Put your phone away - thats one of the things which got me in trouble!
Old 08-11-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Put your phone away - thats one of the things which got me in trouble!
And facebook.....the amount of mornings I woke up with TERRIBLE regret!

My ex girlfriends must REALLY love me now lol
Old 08-11-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

And facebook.....the amount of mornings I woke up with TERRIBLE regret!

My ex girlfriends must REALLY love me now lol
Glad I'm not the only one!
Old 08-11-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome The Valley

, I have decided to completely cut out spirits from my drinking and limit myself to a safe amount such as 5 beers or a bottle of wine to prevent this from happening in the future as it is only spirits which really seem to break my brain in this way!
Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
Stick to beer and wine if it affects you, spirits obviously impair your judgement more than other drinks because their stronger and affect you more quickly. But some people find it's just easier stopping drinking altogether then the worry of wondering how much you're drinking is taken out of your mind.

Cheers James, thought about cutting it out completely but me and my partner enjoy a bottle of wine at the weekend so as long as I can control it I should be ok, just need to be strict with myself.

The old 'spirits are more dangerous to you than other forms of alcohol' is complete hogwash I'm afraid - but it is an irritatingly persistent belief

I almost never drank 'hard' liquor - hated it - and everything that's happened to you happened to me on beer and wine.

In fact I nearly died on beer and wine.

Alcohol is alcohol.

I could not control my intake of alcohol, any alcohol, once I started.

The only way I had to make my life better was to quit drinking completely.

I really recommend it, thevalley- life is awesome sober.

If your gf loses a drinking buddy she'll gain so much more in a sober you.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 08-11-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thats sound advice - thank you. Well I've done one week off the booze so lets try another!
Old 08-12-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Editor

Valley....If you read through the archives on this site...there are soooooo many people including myself that have played the I can control this game and I have to be strong and diligent and this will not happen again. I am a strong intelligent person and I can moderate.
I can tell you from years of trial and error...that doesn't work. One of the most frequent questions I see on here is why cant I drink socially like them... or from my self...I have got this....Nope.
I was the excuse master as many of us alcoholics are.
I didn't want to admit to myself I was an alcoholic...and once I started seeking advice and help...I figured out...hey...That is exactly what I am going through....has someone been watching me.
I don't like to use this word, but I am going to use it in this case(normal)....It is not normal to drink until I black out, it is not normal to feel like death until I have a drink, it is normal to treat your loved ones like crap. Now that I am further down my path I like to say....it is not acceptable to drink, purposely make my fell like death, or treat my loved ones like crap. This is my responsibility. I know what causes the poor decisions and I refuse to let this happen again.
Coming here is a first step....keep reading...you are going to see a lot of similarities in what you are experiencing and it is not an coincidence. You are heading down that slippery slop and it only gets worst as you get older. I am 47 and only wish I had figured this out 30 years ago. Cant change the past...but I can enjoy my present and future.
Pulling for you
D
Old 08-12-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Editor

LOL....sorry Valley....didn't see the page two...Good for you....looks like you are on your way.
D
Old 08-12-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lookinforward View Post
Valley....If you read through the archives on this site...there are soooooo many people including myself that have played the I can control this game and I have to be strong and diligent and this will not happen again. I am a strong intelligent person and I can moderate.
I can tell you from years of trial and error...that doesn't work. One of the most frequent questions I see on here is why cant I drink socially like them... or from my self...I have got this....Nope.
I was the excuse master as many of us alcoholics are.
I didn't want to admit to myself I was an alcoholic...and once I started seeking advice and help...I figured out...hey...That is exactly what I am going through....has someone been watching me.
I don't like to use this word, but I am going to use it in this case(normal)....It is not normal to drink until I black out, it is not normal to feel like death until I have a drink, it is normal to treat your loved ones like crap. Now that I am further down my path I like to say....it is not acceptable to drink, purposely make my fell like death, or treat my loved ones like crap. This is my responsibility. I know what causes the poor decisions and I refuse to let this happen again.
Coming here is a first step....keep reading...you are going to see a lot of similarities in what you are experiencing and it is not an coincidence. You are heading down that slippery slop and it only gets worst as you get older. I am 47 and only wish I had figured this out 30 years ago. Cant change the past...but I can enjoy my present and future.
Pulling for you
D
Hi, like yourself I am an intelligent person with what I have recently discovered a high IQ, unfortunately I have spend most of my adult life not realising my potential and every so often I would drink excessively and end up in a police cell or doing or saying something completely unacceptable which has hurt people and broken up a few relationships and cost me a job. Fortunately for me I do seem to be able to pull myself back up when I reach rock bottom and this year I have bought a house with my beautiful girlfriend (after living back at my parents due to a marriage breakup partly due to my drinking), I have passed my driving test and boight a car (after being convicted for drink driving and having my licence revoked), and I have just been offered my dream job as an on-call firefighter so realistically after working really hard to get my life on track I should be beaming with happiness so the question is - why would I risk losing all thid and after reading yours and several other peoples comments it is becoming apparent that I do in fact have a problem and while I am still drinking I am always going to be at risk of pushing that self destruct button. I am truly humbled by people on this sites kind and wise words, what an amazingly supportive group you are.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was you once, Thevalley. I drank in exactly the same way in my 20's. Because it was still mostly fun & manageable, I did nothing about it. There were still good times back then - and I actually thought willpower would help me have control. As years went by I became more & more dependent on it. As a much older person, I was drinking 24/7 - it was never out of my system. I can't believe I allowed that to happen. So much needless embarrassment & recklessness. This never has to happen to you. I'm so glad you're taking a hard look at what alcohol is doing to your life. Welcome!