Notices

Day 1 and feeling nervous

Old 08-06-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 and feeling nervous

I'm back here again after another year of heaving drinking . 1.5 bottles of wine in the evening. Am nervous about withdrawal symptoms. I've been reading on the internet and scared my myself reading about seizures. I'm feeling ok right now. What would be the chances of seizure and DT on this amount of alcohol . My husband seems to think it will be fine as I would have to be drinking all day for those kind of symptom . Anyway, still feeling a little worried about going cold turkey . 😞
Old 08-06-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To put your mind at ease go to the doctors, better to be safe good luck
Old 08-06-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It will likely be fine but in the unlikely event that you do begin to show any signs be ready to go to ER.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Atwitsend123
as others have said if you're worried do see your doctor, otr go to the ER...but stop reading Dr Google - those med sites are always worst case scenarios

D
Old 08-06-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats.
Glad you ate here.
It good your husband is with you. It's much safer having somebody with you.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies .
I am on day 2 . It's nearly 36 hours since my last drink and I have slightly shaking hands and a bit of sweating , not slept very well but otherwise am ok. I assume if anything terrible was going to happen I would be feeling it by now? Yes doctor google is bad and nearly scares me from stopping as afraid I will have a seizure or something. The drinking has become unmanageable now. I know I can't control it, doesn't matter how many rules I impose , I've been mixing wine and mineral water in an attempt to drink less but still end up drinking a bottle plus another glass or two. The anxiety and panic attacks are unbearable , waking up at 4am with my heart thumping , wondering what I've said or done covered in bruises.
I hope I can stick with it this time.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are back. I had way too many Day Ones in the past, and finally got serious about focusing on recovery and having a solid plan in place. Two of my favorite classes are the monthly threads, you can join August 2017, and the 24 hour thread.

Great job getting past day one. You can do this!
Old 08-07-2017, 03:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Deliah,
I will check those threads out. I have a party coming up this weekend and a wedding in 3 weeks. It's not going to be easy but just the thought of waking up sick yet again worried about my behaviour will stay with me and help me through these events.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done keep at it
Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I have been where you are many times. Even did the 'watered down wine trick' but, drank twice as much because it was the 'drunkeness' I was after. Couldn't fool my AV.
Try real hard to remember how you feel these next fe days because once you start to feel good again you might want to feel 'great' by picking up a drink. Then they cycle starts all over and gets worse. I hope you have a plan for the party and the wedding for how you are going to handle the alcohol. Get some support from your husband so you can stay sober.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Now 40 hours since last drink . No shakes or sweating but all of a sudden I feel nauseous and I have a headache. Should I be worried? My blood pressure is normal.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 2
It's nearly wine o'clock time and desperation sinking in. All I want to do is call up my friend and go have a glass of wine. I am so hopeless at this. Feel like I will never get out of the downward spiral . 😳
Old 08-07-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just try to hang on.....this bit will be over soon. The first few days of intense anxiety are awful and made be go back many times. Try and get through it- if you can, you won't have to feel this way ever again.
Best wishes
Old 08-07-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I thought you were sick and nervous about withdrawls?
Old 08-07-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The first few weeks of sobriety are the hardest. Go easy and let your body begin to heal (it takes a long time). Sleeplessness, headaches, anxiety...all go along with withdrawal. Take this time to read and formulate a plan that will help you move through the next phase, fighting the AV (addictive voice). That's when the real work begins.

Hang in...it WILL get better. It just takes time.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atwitsend123 View Post
Thanks for the replies .
I am on day 2 . It's nearly 36 hours since my last drink and I have slightly shaking hands and a bit of sweating , not slept very well but otherwise am ok. I assume if anything terrible was going to happen I would be feeling it by now? Yes doctor google is bad and nearly scares me from stopping as afraid I will have a seizure or something. The drinking has become unmanageable now. I know I can't control it, doesn't matter how many rules I impose , I've been mixing wine and mineral water in an attempt to drink less but still end up drinking a bottle plus another glass or two. The anxiety and panic attacks are unbearable , waking up at 4am with my heart thumping , wondering what I've said or done covered in bruises.
I hope I can stick with it this time.
So glad you are back and doing this. I can relate. I had gotten to a bottle or more a night too, and it was as you say totally unmanageable, unsustainable, dangerous, unhealthy, damaging, etc.

I realized I was pouring a poison through my liver every day, and seeing the damaging effects on my body, mind, life, everything.

I noticed too that I'd always wake up after about 4 hours of passing out from drinking wine. Apparently that's very common. At first, you sleep (or pass out), but the second half the night, after your liver has processed some of the alcohol, your body is completely out of whack, and you are jolted awake. It's a terrible cycle and way to live!

After trying for years to cut down, moderate, quit, I finally realized the time had come. I stopped "trying" and did it. Commit to it, and it's possible. Take alcohol off the table as a option.

I am now over 75 days free of drinking and life is so much better.

Hang in there! Great advice from the others about seeking help from a doctor if you have any question in your mind.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You can do this, stay with us.
Remember, if you can get through these few days, it will start to get better.
Perhaps find something else to do it you can, even if it's tidying up a cupboard or something.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atwitsend123 View Post
Day 2
It's nearly wine o'clock time and desperation sinking in. All I want to do is call up my friend and go have a glass of wine. I am so hopeless at this. Feel like I will never get out of the downward spiral . ��
Remind yourself of what you said earlier. This is the addiction talking. YOU need to take control. What do you want from your life? Another year of the drinking treadmill?

You are not hopeless. None of us is. You have been consuming an addictive substance. You have to go through some physical and mental discomfort, but the freedom from it is not that far away.

(Side bit of advice: Don't even call it "wine o'clock"! That's giving it too much power. Would you say, hey, Yay, it's time to celebrate with cocaine? Woo hoo, it's time for heroin? I know that sounds extreme, but recognize it for what it is. It's has become a poison that is nothing good for you now.)

Hope I"m not being too blunt; but I recognize so much of what you are saying.

We are here for you!
Old 08-07-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies , I'm having a non alcoholic cocktail and going to eat dinner soon 😳
Old 08-07-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You can always use google to find AA meetings to attend. Also smart, an addiction therapist, or other options to get your recovery in tact so you never have to go through this again.