Notices

Hello

Old 07-28-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Thanks for accepting me. I am a 67 year old woman. I have been fighting my alcohol addiction for more than 30 years with many periods of sobriety always followed by relapse. I am now 3 months and 4 days sober and I have finally stopped fighting and accept that I cannot drink. I will be very interested to hear other people's stories and to find out how they manage to maintain sobriety. Thank you.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done that's great, there is a lot of help support and knowledge on here, good luck
Old 07-28-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome May, and congrats on 3 months and 4 days of recovery. Like you, I found that once I accepted that I can no longer drink and I stopped fighting, recovery became a lot easier.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome, Maycowan

You will find lots of kindred spirits here

I am 58 years old and drank for most of my life, from the age of 16 and on and I have been sober now for 2 1/2 years. The early days of sobriety were not easy for me but the results have been worth every second.

Accepting that I can never drink again has taken such a burden off of me. I no longer have to try to control my drinking (never worked), I just do not drink, ever. Stopping the fight was the best thing I ever did

This site is a true Godsend for me. I come here everyday, read, post and learn. The wisdom, support and knowledge are constant on SR and I have found that people are quick to respond to posts.

I hope to see you around and hear more of your story. Read, read, read! There is much gold to be mined here
Old 07-28-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Maycowan! Welcome to an encouraging place.

I drank 30 yrs. too. I was so afraid to let go of it.
Being here & talking things over with people who really understand helped me find the courage to quit. I'm glad you've made this decision - you can do it!
Old 07-28-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! I'm glad you found us. This is a very supportive community so I hope that you continue to read and post.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Maycowan! I'm glad you found us here.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi May, welcome...im 36, i have drank since my teens & come from a family of binge drinkers. My drinking increased in my late 20's, i had a bout of PND after my 1st son was born, which led to more drinking for another 6 months. After my 2nd son was born i went hell for leather & started secretly drinking late at night probably twice a week, to the point of blacking out. I promised my hubbie id cut down but never did.
I quit drinking in oct 2015 (after finding this site) until april 2016 & made the mistake of believing i could control it.....fast forward to last wkend where i finally said NO MORE EVER. When i quit b4 i struggled with the thought of never drinking again....i finally feel i get it & its not an option for me.

Good luck on ur sobriety, 4 months + is pretty amazing!!
Old 07-29-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR the above posts say it all. I am not yet two weeks without a drink but I couldn't have got this far without this site.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I too have just signed up May! It has taken me 27 years to work out that I can't drink. There are many pearls of wisdom on here that help. Was just reading one, that resonated with me. Fighting to try and control is exhausting, giving in and accepting we can't drink takes that fight away. I'm going to keep that firmly in mind!
Old 07-29-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm just echoing the sentiments above: acceptance of never drinking again, no matter what, and never changing my mind. My many relapses over the past forty years have proven one thing: to pick it back up is to say that I no longer wish to live. And I'm not ready to be dead yet! It really simplifies the equation...

Very glad you're here.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
under new management

I hope you come back, May Lots of support here