Notices

Newbie... What makes you an Alcoholic?

Old 07-27-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Claire, you've had loads of great advice already. Only thing I'd add is that it takes a little while to feel comfortable in your sober skin. First couple of months, every time I went out and stayed sober, I felt awkward and boring. Not anymore. It's taken a while but I've realised that drinking doesn't make nights out fun. Well, not for people like us who don't know when to stop and drink til we black out. I've had more fun and great nights out in 9 months of being sober than I had in 25 years of drinking. And waking up without hangovers, shame and regret is never boring.

Since getting sober I've made loads of new friends (proper friends not drinking buddies) and my social life is busier than ever. Sobriety does not mean the end of fun. I wish I'd known that 25 years ago. Good luck Claire xxx
Old 07-27-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Clair,

Alcoholic is a medical term that caries a stigma. I prefer addict.

Yes, you are an addict. If you go to a dr. He can diagnose you as an alcoholic or not.

Bottom line, treat yourself like an addict. Look in the mirror, see an addict.

I know all about the feelings to drink. Happy, sad, mad, friday, sat, xmas, etc etc.

Once we cross the line, you have, there is no turning it around. We drink to get drunk.

Normis have a beer, finish half, then have another beer 6 months later.

The real deal is the brain damage. The anxiety and crave to drink. There is a lack of dopamine being produced in our brains. For some, the only way out is meds. Some make the mistake of meds combined w drinking.

I had to go though a living hell to get clean. I still suffer sometimes, but I am much stronger than before.

Mental addiction is for life.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think you're right, you have answered your own question. People find this site because they know or begin to know that something isn't right with their drinking. I think the term alcoholic has such a cultural link to the idea of someone destitute and derelict laying in a gutter. In reality it's a progression. I'm about six months sober now, and I get the AV still calling to me. That's when I come here, more than usual and remember why I have to keep him quiet!

You're doing the right thing, sober is so so much better!

Congrats on day 2 👏👏👏👏
Old 07-27-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am only a few days in and the lack of sleep is killing me, the cravings are driving me insane but its the thought of losing my social life that worries me more (what will my mates say at footy). I bash out about 120 units of Stella a week and am the life and soul of the stupid behaviour party that ensues....BUT I don't want to die young.

You, like me, are obviously on this site for a reason and I'll be honest and say the stuff on here is 1000% better than the total lack of assistance I have been given by NHS or their joke "outsourced" alcohol service.

Stay on here and stay strong.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good job on taking a look at making changes with regard drinking... It doesn't hurt (much) taking it one day at a time to start and add more time to be proud of yourself for doing it