Notices

So strange when your mind can change so rapidly

Old 07-25-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So strange when your mind can change so rapidly

Sitting here, and suddenly out of nowhere my brain was like I need a drink omg just out of nowhere, sneaky disease grrrrrrr
Old 07-25-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I still get those random thoughts! I just remind myself that I don't need a drink that is the last thing I need!!

Good job posting here. It takes away the power of those thoughts.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im still hungover so dont feel like that now, but i know itll come!!
My plan is to go for a walk when i feel like that, unless hubbie's at work as ive got 2 little 1's.
I remember fighting those thoughts the last time, im up for a fight again & this time im winning!!!!👊👊😂😂
Old 07-25-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am glad I gave hubby all the cards money cheque book, I just have to keep thinking get through today
Old 07-25-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The closest I have come to dealing with this is to constantly put into play a fail safe. To think so quickly to a 'no- no booze!' default, that the instantaneous pick up does not happen. Because that thought to the action is split second. I know a guy who was 15 years sober. No stress in his life- had the urge, could not explain it- and drank the cooking wine he had used umpteenth times b4- while preparing a meal. He said he does not understand it. He was coming up to his second 15 years in a row sober- after a 5 year binge. The(so far, and ONLY 18 months for me sober) best tool I have for this is using CBT with a psychologist. To keep it real and NOW. Kind of the same focus of SMART meetings. I am different (in fact -yes) because my rock-b was nearly burning myself to death and have the permenancy of scars to terrify me - so raw and recent was the experience. That is the other default- to remember what I went through- as far as I do remember. A mental safety switch- to replace the brain's physical and metal mem's of drinking. To un-brain-wash- reboot and replace with recovery based behaviours. Complacency in this regards is not an option.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

18 months fantastic, scary how quickly it can happen in a split second, what is cbt please
Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On Sunday morning I saw a restaurant sign advertising a rum punch brunch drink. I got such a sharp desire to drink that it was practically a physical feeling that made me jump! I had to deep breathe through it.

The weird thing is... I don't drink hard alcohol and rum punch would have only appealed to me if I was on an island vacation! My response to the sign was so bizarre and unwarranted. *shrug* Who knows? I didn't give in! That's all that matters!
Old 07-25-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I know what you mean. I only drank wine and beer but, some advertisements and scenes on tv shows show hard liquor in fancy looking glasses and I react like a kid in a candy store!
Old 07-25-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done, my demon is wine, but saying that I would drink anything and everything if I hadn't got wine, sticking too water
Old 07-25-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mummyto2 - I have Polar seltzer water in about 10 different flavors. It has really helped me to have a no cal bubbly drink to turn to instead of beer or wine!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The way I am I cant have bubbly non alcoholic drink, or drink water from a wine glass, I cant have anything that will trigger me off if that makes any sense
Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mummy- Another really good drink (my go to now) is:
Lime seltzer water
1 squeezed lime
Cranberry juice
Fresh mint (optional)