Notices

7 months now but....

Old 07-08-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 months now but....

Well, not had a drop of alcohol since beginning of January, all seems fine physically now, eating well, sleeping well, urine and faeces are correct colour - cycling and exercising but I'm still having bouts of feeling absolutely terrible.

It's like slight dizziness, lightheaded, feel I can't walk straight (I can though, just feel not really in my own body). Lasts about a week, now I'm ok but I kinda do feel like I've been ill. Like a fecking hangover!

Also very, very occasionally I get mad sweats, only last 10-15 mins, could be my age tho (56).

Is this a result of my previous heavy drinking? Is it normal for it to keep coming back even after over 6 months?

I can live with it, but would be nice if I could see an end to it.

On the positive side I've no compulsion to drink at all, can go in pubs with drinkers and resist all temptation and jibes to 'just have one...'. I feel completely free of it.

Oh, and I get constipated quite a lot, which I've never suffered with before, but it's not too serious since I can pass it, just struggle sometimes to - for want of a better word - force it out....
Old 07-08-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

A visit to your doctor is called for.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

This thread by friend I never knew lead me to the book referenced; It was very helpful in understanding alcoholism and recovery

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...fluence-2.html

"I also followed the eating program + supplements for
about 6 months. I credit that for getting me
back in physical and mental balance sooner."

CarolD

As always, consult doctor - in my case a Thiamine deficiency was found and caused issues. I was 54. B1 helped this tremendously.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you seen a doctor? Blood work? This sounds like you need to talk with a professional.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm in UK (and Ireland) and under doctor with regular checks, bloods etc all normal after initial antibody deficiency will press her on next visit on this...

Like I say I don't feel really bad, I can't complain, others are suffering far worse than me....
Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A percentage of former heavy drinkers can experience recurring bouts of what feels like withdrawal symptoms after quitting drinking. It's just the brain re-wiring itself after years of abuse, and it goes away with time -- up to a year or two in some cases.

It's common enough, and the symptoms are consistent enough, that it has a name -- Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome or "PAWS."

The risk in giving a name to what's basically a catch-all term is that people can blow it out of proportion. It's just a term of convenience. For me, I found it helpful to have a name for the bouts of bizarre symptoms I experienced well into sobriety which couldn't be explained by any traditional medical diagnosis, but I tried to keep a sense of perspective about it.

For most people who experience some variation of "PAWS," anxiety about the symptoms, coupled with a sense of doom that they will never go away, seems to be part of the package. Remembering that it's all part of the healing process and keeping in mind that it'll go away eventually helped me to get through it.

As others have suggested, though, it's never a bad idea to check in with a physician to make sure what you're experiencing isn't because of some other problem.

There are a few good "PAWS" threads on SR if you care to do a search.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

If you saw a dr, and were good then you are good.

I was just like that, probably worse for over a year to 18 months.

I believe it is our brain rewiring. The normal pathways are fried or something.

I was nevetr dizzy, more like uncertain, uncomfortable, and unsure. It got better and better. It wouldsort of see saw, but alway ends up feeling better as time passed.

I really don't know what normal feels like since i was a drunk since the age of 5. Drinking to get drunk is being a drunk. That was me at 5.

Best SR advice i ever got....it gets better everyday if you don't drink.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
If you saw a dr, and were good then you are good.

I was just like that, probably worse for over a year to 18 months.

I believe it is our brain rewiring. The normal pathways are fried or something.

I was nevetr dizzy, more like uncertain, uncomfortable, and unsure. It got better and better. It wouldsort of see saw, but alway ends up feeling better as time passed.

I really don't know what normal feels like since i was a drunk since the age of 5. Drinking to get drunk is being a drunk. That was me at 5.

Best SR advice i ever got....it gets better everyday if you don't drink.

Thanks
Dizzy is the wrong word, so is lightheaded - more like a feeling of detachment, but not spaced out. Certainly not falling over or fainting or wobbling or walking into things! Hard to describe.....
Old 07-08-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You haven't had alcohol in 6 months, I don't think you'd be having new symptoms of withdrawal or alcohol abuse now... It could be different things, dehydration, blood sugar, allergies, blood pressure, stress and anxiety.. any other meds you're taking. Herbs can affect your blood pressure.

Signs of liver impairment would be like abdominal pain, upset stomach and nausea, abnormal bowel function (you said that was good - yay) and you'd notice you were kind of yellow. Just to put you at ease some.

Please delete if this is considered medical advice, I'm not telling him to DO anything, just sharing what I know.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The feeling of vertigo could have several causes.
I suggest keeping a diary of when they occur, if you can, and see a physician.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

Originally Posted by Pikes View Post
Dizzy is the wrong word, so is lightheaded - more like a feeling of detachment, but not spaced out. Certainly not falling over or fainting or wobbling or walking into things! Hard to describe.....
its sounds like a dissociative disorder.
google derealization and/or depersonalization
Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Pikes --

A forum isn't a good place for medical advice, including psychiatric advice. We can share our personal experience though.

I experience something I describe as a mental buzzing, especially bothersome after the initial shock of sobriety wore off (about 9 months) but still sometimes at 3.5 years. It's distracting and unpleasant and makes me lose focus. It's often associated with bouts of depression. Eventually, when it really became a concern, I saw a psychiatrist. I also had the reason that I have a family and personal history of depression.

If you drank a long time, maybe it was always there and your drinking masked it. None of us can say.

If it's interfering with your ability to maintain a sober way of life, you should seek help, which might include consulting a professional who's knowledgeable about mental as well as physical states. Ways to relieve tension may also help. Many people find mental relief in meditation or *vigorous* exercise.