Notices

New here

Old 06-29-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hey..found this site after Googling around looking for answers as to why I can't imagine life without drinking and why quitting scares the **** out of me ..daily drinker ..mornings,days late nights...between a 12 and a 30 religiously ...2 DUIs..failed marriage..failed relationships and currently torpedoing another with a women I am truly and madly in love with and yet I can't picture life without drinking and that's just effed up

Really like the site and reaching out is something I've NEVER done

This sucks
Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. Based on your description above continuing to drink would scare the **** out of me, not quitting. Anyway, this is a great place for support, I was scared to death when I signed up. Drinking was my secret, but in truth, everyone knows. Your life can and will improve tremendously if you can quit and stay quit. Might even be able to salvage that relationship that is on the rocks. post often.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome Riggo66!

Originally Posted by riggo66 View Post
looking for answers as to why I can't imagine life without drinking and why quitting scares the **** out of me
That's how I found this place, too.

Let me be the first to ask - What's your plan?

Welcome to the fight of your life.

You can do this!
Old 06-29-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Getting sober scared me too, but now that I've been sober for a while, I like being sober cause my life is so much better. And I don't miss drinking at all.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It's hard to believe how much we give up and lose because of being active alcoholics. I'm glad you found us and I hope that you're ready to make the move to recovery.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Welcome Riggo66!

That's how I found this place, too.

Let me be the first to ask - What's your plan?

Welcome to the fight of your life.

You can do this!
Thanks everyone..this is literally the first time I've eve reached out in any way to anyone. Been drinking for 38 of my 51 years.. heavy the last 10 yra and I have zero plan. I just know booze is causing me to lose someone dear to me and I can't let that happen .tired of it crapping on my life but can't let go

I searched AA meetings in my neighborhood and I'm thinking about it..went once many years ago when it was court mandated...As I text this there's a 12 of MLT longnecks I bought for the ride home earlier sitting on the floor of my car..1/2 drive home and i pound a six easily every night headed home

Literally feels good to write this and be in this company

Last edited by riggo66; 06-29-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-29-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Riggo. There is life after alcohol. A much better one! It may seem impossible now, but just take one day at a time.

You'll come to realize that the supposed benefit alcohol gave you was a trick -- the "happiness" or "entertainment", an illusion. The evidence is right in front of us -- of ill health, failing relationships, law-breaking, anxiety, depression, loss of energy. Don't let it fool you anymore. Life can be so much better, for you and everyone around you.

I'm only 5 weeks in, but I already feel like a burden has been lifted. Post and read here often. There are many wise, experienced and compassionate people here who understand just what you are going through.

All it takes is not pouring the poison down your throat. You have the power!
Old 06-29-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone ..
Old 06-29-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It;'s never too later to turn things around Riggo.

I drank for twenty years...ended up an all day everyday drinker...been sober now for over ten.

This site helped a lot. Supports important.

I was scared too - didn't know who I'd be without beer...but I found out I like sober me a lot more than drunk me - and the world likes me a lot better too.

I hope you'll stick around

D
Old 06-29-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It;'s never too later to turn things around Riggo.

I drank for twenty years...ended up an all day everyday drinker...been sober now for over ten.

This site helped a lot. Supports important.

I was scared too - didn't know who I'd be without beer...but I found out I like sober me a lot more than drunk me - and the world likes me a lot better too.

I hope you'll stick around

D
Thanks ...this is the hardest part of the day for me ... I'm pacing trying to not grab a drink and can't bring myself to pour out what I have.

That combined wirh facing the reality that last night I got wasted and in all likelihood effed up an amazing relationship with a wonderful women. We were planning a life together..

I see why so many credit this site for their sobriety

This is literally a minute by minute hour by hour struggle
Old 06-29-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Riggo,
I was a lot like you. 12 plus beers every night. Roughly the same age too. I was so scared at the thought of quitting. You just have to take it minute by minute if you have too. I always ate a big meal as soon as I got home (this really helped). Grabbed a big glass of tea and sat down with SR on my phone for the next three or four hours. I did this for weeks. Slowly I began to feel better. The fear started to go away. Cravings were not so intense. You can do it but it needs to be the most important priority in your life.

You can do it . You just need to have a plan and stick it. We are all here for you.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Riggo. I looked to Dr Google foe help- any help. I had nothing, was in a very dangerous environment and it was a cry for help. SR helped me find a way to stay sober. Being a 4th genie alcoholic- with a narrative that could be the introduction to a book titled ' from the mouth of hell'- well I am the poster boy. Instead of going into a huge narrative, look at the thread I started (go to my username, scroll down to 'threads stared by)..which is titled something like 'my story' or possibly 'do not want to share'....
Another analogy would be...on cigarette packets there are before and after pictures of people who have got very sick from smoking. If cask wine had those photo's- again it would be me.
Empathy, compassion and support. The only advice to you is reach out here- and post until your finger bleed.- here at SR. Read everything. I have little to do at night- except not sleep. I fill many of those hours every night by reading SR stories So many threads in newcomer's. For me the stating point was joining the 'Class of March '16' thread. You may want to join the class of June...
Also look into the 24 hour check in thread. I have missed it 2 times in the last year- because of a computer crash and a power blackout Both times- people (when they got to know me) sent messages to find out if I was okay. one for coping with weekends-and Whiner's Anon. Iread and share daily. Some on waking- will pray, meditate. I get acoffee and come here to SR. I have learnt more and grown more than anyone would have thought me abnle to do (excpt me). I have not had any alcohol since joining this site. Use it- squeeze it- work hard.
Support and empathy to you.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Welcome Riggo. I looked to Dr Google foe help- any help. I had nothing, was in a very dangerous environment and it was a cry for help. SR helped me find a way to stay sober. Being a 4th genie alcoholic- with a narrative that could be the introduction to a book titled ' from the mouth of hell'- well I am the poster boy. Instead of going into a huge narrative, look at the thread I started
(go to my username, scroll down to 'threads stared by)..which is titled something like 'my story' or possibly 'do not want to share'....
Another analogy would be...on cigarette packets there are before and after pictures of people who have got very sick from smoking. If cask wine had those photo's- again it would be me.
Empathy, compassion and support. The only advice to you is reach out here- and post until your finger bleed.- here at SR. Read everything. I have little to do at night- except not sleep. I fill many of those hours every night by reading SR stories So many threads in newcomer's. For me the stating point was joining the 'Class of March '16' thread. You may want to join the class of June...
Also look into the 24 hour check in thread. I have missed it 2 times in the last year- because of a computer crash and a power blackout Both times- people (when they got to know me) sent messages to find out if I was okay. one for coping with weekends-and Whiner's Anon. Iread and share daily. Some on waking- will pray, meditate. I get acoffee and come here to SR. I have learnt more and grown more than anyone would have thought me abnle to do (excpt me). I have not had any alcohol since joining this site. Use it- squeeze it- work hard.
Support and empathy to you.
Thank you so much

Survived the night Day 1 in the books
Old 06-30-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by riggo66 View Post
This is literally a minute by minute hour by hour struggle
Only at first. Persistent alcohol use effs up your brain chemistry. Turns out its bad for survival to have a buzz all the time. Your brain tries to compensate by releasing more anxiety-inducing chemicals to stimulate you.

Then, you quit drinking, but your brain is still over-producing anxiety - hence the pacing and obsessing.

Dry that brain out and it will quit over-producing anxiety. It takes a few weeks, though. Find something to do with that extra energy. Build something. Home project. Throw a ball to a dog. Go for a walk.

And, for the love of Pete, dump that beer.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Only at first. Persistent alcohol use effs up your brain chemistry. Turns out its bad for survival to have a buzz all the time. Your brain tries to compensate by releasing more anxiety-inducing chemicals to stimulate you.

Then, you quit drinking, but your brain is still over-producing anxiety - hence the pacing and obsessing.

Dry that brain out and it will quit over-producing anxiety. It takes a few weeks, though. Find something to do with that extra energy. Build something. Home project. Throw a ball to a dog. Go for a walk.

And, for the love of Pete, dump that beer.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nice job on day 1 Riggo! I hate day 1 so much I never want to go back....ever. The beginning is a struggle, but you are worth it, and those you love are worth it! So hang tough, be here, post often, read, and soak up the support of others fighting the same battle! I'm glad you are here!