Notices

Exercise !!

Old 06-29-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise !!

Anyone else totally addicted to exercise since sobering up?!

I can't blooming stop - walking,running,mtb,road bikes ..it's getting ridiculous !

If I don't do anything I'm like a caged tiger ..

Pouring it down tonite so I've dragged bike on to turbo trainer in garage to feed the need !

Day 76 for me 👍🏻
Old 06-29-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I WISH I was totally addicted to exercise. Alas, I am not!
Old 06-29-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
This ^^^^
Old 06-29-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's not all it's cracked up to be - I can't sit still and it gets annoying sometimes ! 😆😂
Old 06-29-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found that as I felt better--hangover and anxiety-less, I enjoyed exercise more.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I exercise 5-6 days a week and I absolutely love it! The days I don't get a workout in I definitely don't feel as good. Working out gives me more energy, no anxiety, I look better, feel better, sleep better and I crave healthy foods. Who could want any more than that?

Congrats on 76 days...that's awesome!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't really enjoy it so I try to make it short and sweet. It does wake me up and make me feel better.

I just wake up and try to do 100 push ups broken up in three sets. I tend to average about 5 miles of walking at work as well.

I used to have sleep issues due to shoulder pain, thanks to the push ups that pain is gone!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I work out close to every day ! I know it wouldn't be possible if I was still drinking. Like Creative Thinker, I feel better, less anxiety, improved sleep and hungry for healthy foods.

rainyengland, when I first stopped drinking I took a lot of walks as a way to distract myself and combat my anxiety. Stick with the exercise and sobriety, things will even out
Old 06-29-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainyengland View Post
Anyone else totally addicted to exercise since sobering up?!

I can't blooming stop - walking,running,mtb,road bikes ..it's getting ridiculous !

If I don't do anything I'm like a caged tiger ..

Pouring it down tonite so I've dragged bike on to turbo trainer in garage to feed the need !

Day 76 for me ����
Wow I am impressed. 76 days are great.

I know this about myself and addiction.
I have an addictive personalty period. If it was not drinking it was working to much. If not working to much it was buying stuff, If buying stuff did not work it could be to much sex on the brain. If not to much sex on the brain it was an adrenaline rush. And I also got addicted to exercise as well. ( Of them all the exercise was the best of all choices)
What I know now is that I was always running from some feeling that I did not want to have to deal with.

For me drinking, sex, buying, adrenaline ,( learning aerobatics in a airplane) and even exercise were symptoms of the underlying problem of not being comfortable in my own skin. I am slowly with baby steps becoming more comfortable.

I am not saying this is you, Just beware.....("It's not all it's cracked up to be - I can't sit still and it gets annoying sometimes ! ����" )

Or else you could end up with a collection of 250 plus musical instruments. lmao

asixstringnut
Old 06-29-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by asixstringnut View Post

I have an addictive personalty period. If it was not drinking it was working to much. If not working to much it was buying stuff, If buying stuff did not work it could be to much sex on the brain. If not to much sex on the brain it was an adrenaline rush. And I also got addicted to exercise as well. ( Of them all the exercise was the best of all choices)
What I know now is that I was always running from some feeling that I did not want to have to deal with.

For me drinking, sex, buying, adrenaline ,( learning aerobatics in a airplane) and even exercise were symptoms of the underlying problem of not being comfortable in my own skin. I am slowly with baby steps

I am not saying this is you, Just beware.....
Or else you could end up with a collection of 250 plus musical instruments. lmao

asixstringnut
I was thinking the same thing about being aware of transferring addictions, but could not articulate it. Good post.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was thinking the same thing about being aware of transferring addictions, but could not articulate it. Good post.
Thanks Pippo. Hope you are well.

sixstring
Old 06-29-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not quite addicted, but it's become an important part of my routine. And it's a lot easier to stick with since I feel up to it now.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like it could be worth adding some other things into your recovery plan to get past that restlessness, irritability and discontentment.

The exercise is all very well, but doing it addictively means that if you get injured or sick you are likely to try to exercise through it (says the woman who once tried to go running on Christmas day with the flu! And on a knee injury with multiple support bandages, because I NEEDED it.) It was exercise to get me through any alone moments in the day that I could not be drinking. I was misusing and obsessive about both exercise and alcohol while at university. I've also transferred it to shopping and relationships for extended periods. What I really needed to do was learn how to deal with life on life's terms so that I did not feel the need to act out (in whatever way) and address that stinking thinking that made my life seem so tricky to get through. For me working the 12-step program of recovery combined with this forum has made such a difference, but other people have found different ways.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 06-29-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by asixstringnut View Post

For me drinking, sex, buying, adrenaline ,( learning aerobatics in a airplane) and even exercise were symptoms of the underlying problem of not being comfortable in my own skin. I am slowly with baby steps becoming more comfortable.

I am not saying this is you, Just beware.....("It's not all it's cracked up to be - I can't sit still and it gets annoying sometimes ! ����" )

asixstringnut
It's a very good point this

I think even before alcohol I had a very addictive personality,always thrown myself into 100% into what I was doing abs from as long as I remember always had "ants in my pants"

What I have noticed lately though is things that used to get me wound right up - usually small insignificant things - don't really matter too much

Will see where the road takes me ..guess I'll be running it !! 😆
Old 06-30-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The last time I got sober I was addicted to exercise and had a pretty fantastic body. This time I think because of the Paxil I'm on and I've restarted smoking I can't motivated to do much but maybe do 10 mins of cycling a day and try some weights (which doesn't usually happen)
Old 06-30-2017, 02:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Me too!

Additionally, I don't have much time for it, with a toddler and all. I'm thinking of getting back to doing Zumba. Perhaps my son will be so enthralled with all the dancing he may just sit still and watch and let me do my thing???? I think not, lol!
Old 06-30-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I could never commit to going to a
gym so I invested in equipment to
have here in my home to use at my
own pace and time.

There was a friend of mine way back
when I was around 20 yrs old that caught
my eye and inspired me with his workouts
and commitment to going to the gym.

Muscle and weights is what got its
hooks in me then and still today.

Today in my late 50's with 26 yrs
sobriety I still exercise when I can,
but take it to the pool with ankle
weights, treadmill, resistant bands/
cords, noodles...I even put my power
tower in the pool to work on my
stomach muscles, flexability, stamina,
endurance, anything to keep me
engaged. I also have basketball goal
at the edge of the pool to throw
baskets and not get sweaty or over
heated cause I'm right there in the
water.

It's important to keep moving whatever
age we are and remaining sober helps us
maintain health and happiness each day.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainyengland View Post
It's a very good point this

I think even before alcohol I had a very addictive personality,always thrown myself into 100% into what I was doing abs from as long as I remember always had "ants in my pants"

What I have noticed lately though is things that used to get me wound right up - usually small insignificant things - don't really matter too much

Will see where the road takes me ..guess I'll be running it !! 😆

Like I was saying this was just my experience with my addictions.
Exercise is a great release and it is good for you. What a concept. lol

Have a good run, ride / workout and keep those sober days climbing.

asixstringnut
Old 06-30-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What a lot of people don't realize with working out is that it is as much emotional as it is physical. I'm not sure which one I benefit the most from. There's so much more to exercising than just the physical aspect of it. My anxiety is much less. My depression is not such a problem and I sleep like a baby. John
Old 06-30-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am a runner. Have been running for years. At the end of my drinking career, I could not run any longer due to the effects of alcoholism. This was one of the many reasons as to why I got sober.

I am now running daily for mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health.

I cannot be a drinker and be healthy. So, I choose health. I choose the one thing that keeps me sane.....now. It was a hard lesson to learn