Notices

Creating an AV Loop

Old 06-23-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Creating an AV Loop

Day 7 today. Seven days since I found myself on the bathroom floor and realized that I couldn't keep pretending that I cad any control over this, that it was time to admit that I'm an alcoholic.

I have spent this week observing myself as objectively as possible (please forgive the self absorption). I've been trying to figure out what some of my triggers are, which ones are avoidable and which ones aren't and thinking a lot about the concept of a higher power.

I have also finally really heard my AV. That voice clearly saying to me 'it's been a long and exhausting day, when you get home you can collapse on the couch and have a nice glass of wine'. 'Why shouldn't you have a glass of wine with your friends, you don't need to quit drinking!'.

I hope I'm not relying too heavily on SR but I feel that the week of reading posts, looking at plan advice and listening to the experience of others has allowed me to wake up understanding that the existence of this AV is concrete proof that everything my AV says is a lie. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's what I mean by an AV loop. If I can hear my AV it means I need to acknowledge it and turn that around to it meaning that I'm an addict and mustn't listen to it. Maybe that's more of a U turn, lol, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Day 7 and it's a beautiful day.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
under new management

Ramble away, Beedebea

Day 7 is excellent and so are your observations about yourself!

Lean on SR as much and as often as you need to. I have learned so much about myself from reading and posting, I don't know where I would be without SR.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post, congrats on 7 days. It's good that you recognize the AV for what he/she/it is- a babbling idiot. Just remember you never have to act on what your AV says, you are in control.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Beedebea View Post
If I can hear my AV it means I need to acknowledge it and turn that around to it meaning that I'm an addict and mustn't listen to it.
Indeed.

People who can drink normally don't have a voice in their heads telling them they can.

Congrats on Day 7.
And, for the record, time spent fixing yourself is NOT self-absorption. My last 3-day bender - now THAT was self-absorption.

You are doing this.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rely on us all you need Beedebea - day 7 is great - congratulations!

D
Old 06-23-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 7 Beedebea!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I'm not really used to having people that I can be so open with and get support from... its amazing!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Beedebea, I do understand what you're saying about the AV loop, and I've had a similar experience. The fact that I have an AV, a voice telling me something I know darn well is ridiculous, was proof positive to me that I'd developed an addiction. The good news is it can be stopped in its tracks, by putting the drink down permanently. The fact that you can hear and recognize the AV also gives you the key to freedom -- every time it pipes up, you can recognize it and let it pass, which it will.

I also related to your other thread ... I had a big revelation when I quit, realizing that drinking was making my stress and depression worse, not better. I felt so hopeful, as my denial started to clear.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
Beedebea, I do understand what you're saying about the AV loop, and I've had a similar experience. The fact that I have an AV, a voice telling me something I know darn well is ridiculous, was proof positive to me that I'd developed an addiction. The good news is it can be stopped in its tracks, by putting the drink down permanently. The fact that you can hear and recognize the AV also gives you the key to freedom -- every time it pipes up, you can recognize it and let it pass, which it will.

I also related to your other thread ... I had a big revelation when I quit, realizing that drinking was making my stress and depression worse, not better. I felt so hopeful, as my denial started to clear.
Thank you for your understanding Tuesiops. You manage to explain it so much more eloquently than I did! I know these ramblings are probably better off in a journal but I feel safe here and writing them 'out loud' makes me feel more accountable to them - I can't just decide to ignore them if I've shared them with others.

Thank you for listening!
Old 06-24-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 7 is fantastic Beedebea!! Keep it going!!