Notices

My 35th birthday is now less than a month away....

Old 06-19-2017, 01:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My 35th birthday is now less than a month away....

I'm feeling both nervous and excited! I really want to be completely sober by then (July 13). I don't feel the need to take a "last drink" or anything like that. I have come a long way in my recovery, although I have not remained fully sober 100%. I'm tired of the relapses that I know eventually lead back into habitual drinking. I want to be done, once and for all. I want this weight lifted off my shoulders so I can be free of alcohol for the rest of my life! I don't "overdo" it anymore, but that doesn't matter. There was a time where I was making myself physically sick for many years, and okay, yes I have cut down and am more able to "control" it now, but that's not enough. I don't always have to finish off whatever alcohol is in the house, but I don't care to drink at all, so I don't even know why I still do. What's holding me back from 100% sobriety? I need to be more self disciplined. Do the work, write things down, do not buy alcohol ever! Good news, my dad put a lock on the mini fridge where any alcohol in the house is kept. (I rent the top floor of my parents home, which is why there is even alcohol in the house....it isn't mine). They will be away in Europe for the summer, so I don't want to be tempted. I will probably be posting here a lot more! I need the support and encouragement from you all. I'm doing this!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck Bronzie, you can do this! :-)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
Good luck Bronzie, you can do this! :-)
Thank you! Absolutely I can, and will!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck , just take one day at a time
Old 06-19-2017, 02:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 06-19-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you Bronze! Sounds like you knew you had a problem and you're going to out your all into this. I've really come to appreciate that alcohol is not a positive factor in anyone's life. It's a liability and accidents waiting to happen. I really admire your decision!! You can do it!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the kind words. Monday morning....off to work another full week, ugh. Focus on the positive....I'm getting off an hour early today. Just one day at a time....good advice, thank you!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VigilanceNow View Post
Good for you Bronze! Sounds like you knew you had a problem and you're going to out your all into this. I've really come to appreciate that alcohol is not a positive factor in anyone's life. It's a liability and accidents waiting to happen. I really admire your decision!! You can do it!
Thank you so much! And you are absolutely right, it doesn't bring anything positive to any person or situation.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, you can do this! I think many, if not most of us, have been through the false starts. Those first few weeks/months can be rough, but once you get over that hump, it really does get easier. Please don't misunderstand, I'm only coming up on five months myself, so still very early, but I feel different this time compared to the dozens (perhaps hundreds) of times that I tried and failed.

You'll never regret sobriety. I have yet to wake up and wish I had drank the night before. If you need help (AA, treatment, medication, etc.), never hesitate to reach out for it. Sobriety is such a blessing, and once you're on your way, the freedom and weight that is lifted off your shoulders is exhilarating! I wish the best for you on your journey!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do it. Turning 40 sober last year was wonderful and I look forward to 41 soon.

A plan might be a good idea now so you completely make that move to sobriety? If you want to be sober, you can.

Hope to see you around here.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will be a great bday present Bronzie

D
Old 06-20-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bronzie, My 35th birthday is also coming up on July 1st and I know exactly how you feel. I had two months sober then moderated a little then blew it last night. I believe that if you EVER had a problem with alcohol, even if it was a long time ago, then you could potentially have another problem on your hands soon. So congrats on making the decision to quit all together! I wish I had been that smart before!! We can both do this and like Dee said, It will be the best birthday presents ever!!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You certainly can do this, Bronzie. Giving it up for good is best; drinking required so much mental energy--sobriety is much more chill and natural. Happy nearly birthday- mine is 7/11 and I will be sober, as I was last year. Going out to sing karaoke and get crazy, though! Best wishes.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. And happy early birthday to y'all as well!
I am feeling good about sobriety, and love that I haven't had a hangover in a while, so I wake up feeling good most days. I have drank over the last month, but not excessively, even though I KNOW it gets worse. I get dependent on alcohol very quickly and based on my history, I should not drink at all.
I finally made the decision with my doctor to start a new medicine called naltraxone, which is suppose to help with cravings and help me not relapse. Fingers crossed.
I'll keep you all updated and will continue posting here in the newcomers forum. I'm very hopeful!