Notices

Naltrexone???

Old 06-19-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
looking for help

Naltrexone???

Just got out of the doctors and got prescribed naltrexone to help with my alcoholism. The reviews of the medication seem great does anyone here have any experience with this drug? Good or bad I would love to hear from you guys thanks!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I took it a couple of years ago and it helped a lot with cravings for the first few months. After a few months, it seemed to stop working but it helped a lot in the beginning. I hope it works for you
Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to my Dr. in January and asked for antabuse. She preferred to put me on naltrexone. I'll be off it in about a month.

For me, it's "working," but quite honestly, I don't know if it's the medication, my IOP treatment, AA, placebo, or some combination of it all that is helping. Frankly, I don't really care. All I know is that I've had virtually no cravings for about 3-4 months now. Whatever it is that is helping, I'll take it. It's such a mental relief from my life while drinking.

Keep working with your doctor. He or she will know your medical history, test results, etc., and will know what's right for you. Even though it seems to help me and others, we are all unique and have unique medical histories and needs that only a medical professional can properly address. Your doctor may run some tests after a few months to determine if it's safe for you to continue on this medication.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My psychiatrist put me on Antabuse because my binges tend to start impulsively. I guess she thought my liver function and all my other tests were sufficient for me to take it.

It works like a charm so far as long as I take it every morning. That's where my accountability comes in; and since I'm tired of being an alcoholic liar, that accountability is here to stay.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have also just started naltrexone today! My doctor and I discussed it a while back, I did some research and decided I would give it a try, it sounds like it has worked for a lot of people. I am not drinking, and it has just made me feel a bit tired today. I always worry about side effects with new medications.
How are you doing on it so far? Is it helping?