Notices

Just feeling blue

Old 06-10-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just feeling blue

I don't know why,just feel really down

One minute I'm angry,next I'm feeling like crying,things go through my head and I can't get rid of them ..anger towards others who I feel I have wronged me ..I know that's not the case so why do I feel that way

I just can't think straight

Been like this over a week

Moved into week 9 now and doing ok without wine , I'm just concerned I'm getting dragged down by my thoughts

Anyone else go through feeling like this ?
Old 06-10-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Rainy,

I too have a lot of ups and downs. I've found that getting outside in the fresh air, going for a walk or a run helps.

Hang in!
Old 06-10-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rainy, sorry you're feeling down. I've felt exactly as you describe. I think when I was drinking I got down about stuff too but then I would drink and the problems I created by drinking overshadowed whatever it was that made me feel down in the first place. Now I have to learn to sit with my emotions and deal with them and that can be difficult sometimes.

I also think my AV changed tactics after I'd been sober for a couple of months. It started telling me people hate me, people have been unfair to me blah blah blah. This, of course was all designed to get me drinking again. Addiction is so clever. These times of feeling blue come and go and when you don't drink through them, they go away a lot quicker and stay away for longer and longer stretches of time. Stay strong, these feelings will pass. Also maybe Google PAWS if you haven't already. Made me feel a lot better about what I was experiencing .
Old 06-10-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on week 9 rainyengland 👍👍👍

For well over a year now I have kept a daily gratitude thread here on SR...every night when I go to bed I post what I am grateful for that day. I find it helps me focus on the positives rather than any negatives. I find this particularly helpful because I used to start 'worrying' about everything and anything when I got into bed...now I fall asleep soundly feeling positive. Might be worth a try?

Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 06-10-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

^^^ I agree -- find yourself at least one daily support thread -- I do a few & always have. It's like a little positive community within SR, you can follow along & have companions. There are lot of gratitude threads, threads for the weekend, etc. -- just go to the Newcomer's Daily Support area on the forums.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Rainyengland,

I'm pretty close to the same time frame sober as you (although not alcohol), and I've been going through similar things. Going from feeling pretty blah, to then depression and anxiety, then anger or thoughts that keep swimming around in my head. PAWS symptoms are often fairly similar regardless of the particular drug or alcohol. Some days are better than others.

One thing that actually helped me quite a bit (even though it might not necessarily sound like an instant cure), is getting a chance to help someone else. An opportunity presented itself to me the other day where I was given the chance to help someone (a stranger in this case) that really needed a hand. Nothing in it for me, I just made the decision to commit a completely selfless act. It was very rewarding getting to see this person receive help and knowing I played even a small part in that. Made me feel 100x better, and that maybe I didn't have to sit around feeling like a selfish piece of c**p stuck in my own head. This might or might not apply to you. I'm just saying that in general, if an opportunity comes along to lend a helping hand, take advantage of it. I don't think you (or anyone else) will regret it. Overall, I think that is a lot of what this site is about, which is one reason I think it's so great.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, yeah. I kept thinking those blue times " shouldn't " happen. Not if I were smart, right, successful......whatever. I know now that there isn't anything wrong because I have blue times. They're painful - but not " wrong". Allowing them, just allowing, really helps them move on. I feel for you, rainy.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Talking to people- a human connection gets me out of my toxic mind space. counsellor, psychologist, doctor, AA meetings., sponsor meeting, the neighbour- the checkout person..... Left by myself- I AM SERIOUSLY BAD COMPANY.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hahaha PhoenixJ.... I know what you mean.....I require adult supervision at all times!
Old 06-10-2017, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainyengland View Post
I don't know why,just feel really down

One minute I'm angry,next I'm feeling like crying,things go through my head and I can't get rid of them ..anger towards others who I feel I have wronged me ..I know that's not the case so why do I feel that way

I just can't think straight

Been like this over a week

Moved into week 9 now and doing ok without wine , I'm just concerned I'm getting dragged down by my thoughts

Anyone else go through feeling like this ?
Right over here! I always feel like this. It's just the way I am, so I accept it, but I do try to keep my moods under wraps when I'm at work and/or out in public. When I'm at home I feel safe and comfortable enough to just be moody ole me.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cellardoor77 View Post
one thing that actually helped me quite a bit (even though it might not necessarily sound like an instant cure), is getting a chance to help someone else. An opportunity presented itself to me the other day where i was given the chance to help someone (a stranger in this case) that really needed a hand. Nothing in it for me, i just made the decision to commit a completely selfless act. it was very rewarding getting to see this person receive help and knowing i played even a small part in that. Made me feel 100x better, and that maybe i didn't have to sit around feeling like a selfish piece of c**p stuck in my own head. this might or might not apply to you. I'm just saying that in general, if an opportunity comes along to lend a helping hand, take advantage of it. I don't think you (or anyone else) will regret it. Overall, i think that is a lot of what this site is about, which is one reason i think it's so great.
^^^ this ^^^
Old 06-10-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all - good to know I'm not going mad! Was starting to question my sanity !

I'll def look at gratitude list as well and guess I need to not spend too much time in my own company at moment

Really I should be feeling wonderful ! I put enough effort into getting myself straight 😡

Just feels like someone has put hand in my chest and ripped something out , half empty feeling
Old 06-10-2017, 11:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agreee with the gratitude list and getting outdoors. Another good tool is mindfulness. I have been listening to some guided meditations, I plan on listening to another tomorrow to help me remain focused on the present. Someone told me about an app called Omvana, it is a good one. There are several others as well.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I agreee with the gratitude list and getting outdoors. Another good tool is mindfulness. I have been listening to some guided meditations, I plan on listening to another tomorrow to help me remain focused on the present. Someone told me about an app called Omvana, it is a good one. There are several others as well.
Thank you - will check it out
Old 06-10-2017, 11:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope todays better for you RE

d
Old 06-11-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
Right over here! I always feel like this. It's just the way I am, so I accept it, but I do try to keep my moods under wraps when I'm at work and/or out in public. When I'm at home I feel safe and comfortable enough to just be moody ole me.
Love that emoji - makes me smile every time I see it ! 😊
Old 06-11-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Me too.

All over the place. It will pass. Think of how much worse it feels to be hungover it remorseful. At least what your going through is for the positive. Hang in there. Your not alone and you are doing awesome!!!
Old 06-11-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainyengland View Post

Just feels like someone has put hand in my chest and ripped something out , half empty feeling
Exactly.....