Notices

Need to post here after drinking

Old 06-04-2017, 12:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to post here after drinking

I am sober, but I messed up and drank 3 beers and a couple glasses of red wine. I keep going a couple weeks and then "trying" to see if I can drink again, and (fortunately) I see very quickly that I cannot! The last time was just a few sips of wine and I poured it out. This time, a few drinks and then I poured the rest out. I don't know why I'm doing that, but I'm done. It gave me a headache and I also get alcohol flush reaction after just a drink or two. I had a good stretch of sobriety and I was feeling great. I don't want to get back to where I used to be drinking....I was in a very bad place, my health, my life, everything was going downhill. Drinking is not for me! Will I ever learn? Am I going to be able to STAY sober?
Old 06-04-2017, 12:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course you are! Just believe in yourself. Have you joined a support group like AA or SMART recovery? They could certainly help
Old 06-04-2017, 01:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bronzie you absolutely can! Separate yourself from that damned voice quickly! It is your addiction trying to pull you back. That's all it ever wants hun so try to find a way of recognising it for what it is......just to cheer you up a bit my AV is Gollum from Lord of the Rings I imagine!
Take care and be positive that you've nipped it in the bud before it became an all out binge but please be careful not to start the slippery slope. These slips WILL progress.
Post often and do whatever it takes friend xxx
Old 06-04-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersue1984 View Post
Of course you are! Just believe in yourself. Have you joined a support group like AA or SMART recovery? They could certainly help
I have not yet. My schedule has been completely full, with one event after the other, and also working a lot. But I definitely will! Thank you!
Old 06-04-2017, 01:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Bronzie you absolutely can! Separate yourself from that damned voice quickly! It is your addiction trying to pull you back. That's all it ever wants hun so try to find a way of recognising it for what it is......just to cheer you up a bit my AV is Gollum from Lord of the Rings I imagine!
Take care and be positive that you've nipped it in the bud before it became an all out binge but please be careful not to start the slippery slope. These slips WILL progress.
Post often and do whatever it takes friend xxx
Absolutely! I'm so glad it didn't turn out as bad as it could have. I'm recognizing the "slippery slope" right now, and I refuse to fall. I will pour out any alcohol that I come across immediately! My dad has put a lock on the mini fridge (where he keeps his beer and wine), to help keep me from being tempted. It doesn't bother me that he did that, in fact, i am grateful because it's out of sight and out of mind.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bronzie

You get every bit of effort back that you put in, I promise.

Maybe instead of posting after you drink, why not try posting before - it seemed to work before.

And,,stay connected.

Dropping off the SR radar and not being able to get to meetings means you'll be dealing with things alone and probably struggling to make progress.

why make it harder on yourself than it needs to be?
D
Old 06-04-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You sound just like me! It's amazing how easy it is to justify slipping back like I did yesterday. I'm sober today and am going to make it work this time - hope you do, too! One thing I'm going to do is plan out each day in advance to make sure I know what errands I'm running and what's for dinner so I don't fit in a trip to the wine store!
Old 06-04-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Bronzie

You get every bit of effort back that you put in, I promise.

Maybe instead of posting after you drink, why not try posting before - it seemed to work before.

And,,stay connected.

Dropping off the SR radar and not being able to get to meetings means you'll be dealing with things alone and probably struggling to make progress.

why make it harder on yourself than it needs to be?
D
Good point, Dee. Very true! I got so busy and overwhelmed lately, and definitely should have posted here first! I will stay connected, get to meetings, and do the work needed. I have a sobriety workbook and plenty of reading I can do. Now things have settled down and I don't have to be on the go every weekend, so I'll focus on my sobriety and putting in the effort required to keep it! It takes work and determination, and I have it!
Old 06-04-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lascaux View Post
You sound just like me! It's amazing how easy it is to justify slipping back like I did yesterday. I'm sober today and am going to make it work this time - hope you do, too! One thing I'm going to do is plan out each day in advance to make sure I know what errands I'm running and what's for dinner so I don't fit in a trip to the wine store!
I am sober today also, and I'm determined to stay sober! Planning is a great idea. I'll be doing that as well as working for my sobriety by posting here, going to meetings, and doing my reading and sobriety workbook! Taking a drink was a big mistake that does not have to be repeated. I have enjoyed sobriety, and I want it more than anything right now! Stay away from the wine shop, and for me staying away from that section of the supermarket! No wine or beer in my buggy! Here's to our sober futures!
Old 06-04-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sometimes, I think about how much time and effort I spent in planning how to drink, getting alcohol, drinking itself, etc - and how much more time I have now to live my recovery. If I could spend hours a day on my former way of living, there are the same number of hours in a day to spend on this one.

You can do this- get and stay sober.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can get sober. It has to be more important than anything else that you do. I had to make it a priority to structure my time to not include alcohol. With each passing day the thought of drinking subsided and I am now living free of it. I get to think about other things as my time progresses. Posting here before the situation gets out of hand is important. Finding someone to talk to will only serve as a positive and to keep you safe. Sometimes these lessons are not learned with our first attempt. Ive had many times of relapsing and thinking that alcohol was okay. One day at a time is all that we have.