Notices

Improving your appearance after decades of drinking

Old 05-23-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
sober style

I've found that dressing sharp can take years off one's appearance.

I'm in my 50s, and I'm never gonna look as handsome or dashing as I looked back in my 30s, just not gonna happen. But as long as I don't drink and keep working on myself, I can look at myself in the mirror every day and like what I see.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

All of this, plus my mind works better. The brain fog almost the last to clear up...it really took a good four or five months in my case.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by poolside View Post
...I could swear my hair looks healthier, and not as thin as it was, but it could just be that I'm letting it grow longer. Finger nails and toenails seem to be growing faster.
I've noticed that too about the hair, when I was drinking I watched it thin out over the years. I think it's overall thicker is why it looks better. Same with the nails, seems to be growing faster and the ridges are growing out.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
LDT

I can only speak for myself. I quit drinking at age 55 and embraced clean eating and yoga. My hair grew back in, my skin cleared up, the bloat went away, my teeth actually got whiter, I lost weight.........all these things combined to make me look healthier and younger. It's definitely never too late. Don't give up.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I haven't drank in 9 weeks and I second what everybody else said. I'm down over 20 pounds, look and feel much better.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I definitely look less haggard than I did when I was drinking. I still keep hoping my wrinkles will vanish but so far that hasn't happened... ;-)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It does get enormously better. I will post a picture to show the change I experienced. It is very embarrassing, but I share it because I know if I had seen something like this it would give me a lot of inspiration to keep at it. I don't think that thinking about your looks is silly or small minded, it is just another benefit (amongst the many more important issues) of recovery.
On the left you see me the day I entered rehab. I was 37 and drinking an average of three bottles of wine a day. On the right you see me after two weeks of sobriety. Granted, the picture on the left was taken while I was still in rehab, during the two weeks prior to this new picture being taken I was on a steady stream of detox medications, was eating regular, very healthy meals (we were obligated to attend and attempt to eat all meals) and was in a facility with little other to do other than sleep and work on myself. Since this picture has been taken things have only improved from there and I feel confident in my outward appearance.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wow, Mera. You look fantastic! Thank you for sharing this.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Thanks for posting that Mera. I've recently seen some older pictures of myself that makes me think 'Didn't people see this?', 'Why couldn't I see this?'.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

NewLife310, when I got into recovery in my early 50's I realized that abstaining from alcohol was huge, but also putting healthy things in my body was also huge. At AA meetings it was suggested to eat sugar to stave the cravings but it seemed counter intuitive for my health and added to the glycemic issues caused by alcohol. So my attention went to working the steps, eating healthy foods and doing self care detoxing (epson salt baths, lots of water, cutting caffeine after a period of time, mild exercise, etc). It wasn't enough for me to just stop alcohol but to be kind to my body, mind and spirit. You can do it, one day at a time. Search for ways to support the liver, ( I use milk thistle seed crushed and added to morning health drinks) and other vitamin support until my body can start reproducing what it needed. ((Full Discloser:::I did relapse after 18 yrs (long story) but back on Wagon and using tools described in my post.)) Blessings and Light your way.