SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Improving your appearance after decades of drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/410024-improving-your-appearance-after-decades-drinking.html)

NewLife310 05-22-2017 02:12 PM

Improving your appearance after decades of drinking

I'm a 52 year old female who has been drinking most of my life, but definitely very heavily for the past ten years and ridiculously so the last 3-4 years. I'm only on day one so I know I have a TON of work to do, but I'm very concerned that I may have done too much damage to myself physically to turn that around.

At my age and the amount I've been drinking is it possible to 'reverse' the damage that's been done to my looks and health?

I was hoping to hear from some folks about their thoughts and experiences on this. Can it be too late to reverse the damage?

Anna 05-22-2017 02:58 PM

I don't think anyone can answer that question as we are all different and there are many factors involved. But, I bet that you will notice some improvement in your appearance when you begin recovery.

Forward12 05-22-2017 04:25 PM

At this point I would focus entirely on getting a solid plan in place to lock down your sobriety, and everything else will fall into place.

SimplyFree 05-22-2017 04:26 PM

Welcome! I'm glad you are here! Many things improve when you get sober. You won't regret it! Be brave and consider getting a check up. It can help to reduce your stress from the unknown. Blessings!

D122y 05-22-2017 06:28 PM

New,

In my experience..

Everything gets better. There is no doubt about it.

I have been told I look like a totally different person.

I lost about 20 lbs. My skin cleared up. I sleep better...it took a long time for that to stabilize.

I am stronger and have more stamina.

I didn't turn into Superman, like I had dreamed...but it is not over.

Every clean day is a victory.

I was very physically addicted and now I am only mentally addicted. I crave a bit every day.

Bottom line is that booze is poison. Drinking is a learned behavior.

Some flip the switch and stop drinking. Others relapse over and over. Some go insane. Some need meds for life. Some kill themselves.

I deal w my sobriety, so far, med free.

SR is my support and new habit when it comes to booze.

Stay clean.

Thanks.

Mattq2 05-22-2017 06:51 PM

New life,
I'm about your age and drank for a very long time. I agree with the others, all things improve when we stop drinking. My physical appearance is much better. The best thing of all is how clear my mind is, how much energy and ambition I have, and the joy I feel most days to wake up with a positive attitude. Don't know how many days I have left on the earth but the quality of each day is what's important to me.

Give sobriety a try...you won't be disappointed.

NewLife310 05-22-2017 07:02 PM

Thank you so much! That's really encouraging to hear! :-)

duane1 05-22-2017 07:11 PM

I have had people do double takes on me after seeing me a year or so after I quit. The bloating that drinking does to your body is insane and it will goes away.

2ndhandrose 05-22-2017 08:06 PM

I feel so much better on the inside, I feel confident that it shines through to the outside.

:ValD014: :dance4: :c031:

NewLife310 05-22-2017 08:17 PM

How long does it take to see a REAL difference? The bloating and what not?

2ndhandrose 05-22-2017 08:32 PM

I would think it would be different for everyone, but for me, it was a few months in when my skin started to look brighter.

My previous post still stands, of course, too :)

Outonthetiles 05-22-2017 10:56 PM

I had the same result that D122y describes. I drank for thirty years, and heavily for three or four years.
After I got sober, I lost 25 pounds, my face isn't puffy, and I just good better overall.
Everything gets better.

STDragon 05-23-2017 04:00 AM

At about 5 months in my hairdresser was like 'OMG' you look so healthy. The back story is I was trying out a different barber shop so she hadn't seen me whole time.

poolside 05-23-2017 04:37 AM

I'm on day 129. The facial redness and puffiness were the first things to go when I first stopped drinking. My eyes cleared up. Eventually I noticed cheek bones I didn't think I had. I probably looked 15-20 years younger. It was shocking.

Some of this was attributable to loss of muscle during detox and the first few weeks when I had no appetite and barely ate. But I don't like the gaunt look so as my physical strength returns I'll start lifting again and build up my upper body. Protein is my friend.

I could swear my hair looks healthier, and not as thin as it was, but it could just be that I'm letting it grow longer. Finger nails and toenails seem to be growing faster.

Teeth seem brighter and whiter now, which is probably a result of not drinking any red wine and tea. I also gave up caffeine when I got sober.

Everyone's different in terms of what challenges and frustrations manifest themselves in recovery. Good luck! 😁

Fly N Buy 05-23-2017 05:29 AM

I was 54 when I quit three years ago. Around six months it was as if a veil lifted and a fog rolled out. A multi vitamin with B1 helped rebuild cell structure as Thiamine defincincey is common in us.

Thiamine deficiency, alcohol, and alcoholism

I had to understand that years of self abuse didn't change things overnight - slowly though I healed, inside out.

August252015 05-23-2017 05:42 AM

Congratulations on deciding to quit drinking. Every day makes you healthier, among other things that are more important (peace, relationships, outlook on life, the list is endless). ... no matter what, NOT putting alcohol in your body will help.

Don't drink today. Start a plan (mine is AA) - repeat tomorrow. Things will follow. You can do it- regardless of how old you are or how long or much you drank.

Hope to see you here.

CreativeThinker 05-23-2017 06:43 AM

When you feel better you look better. It starts from within.

NewLife310 05-23-2017 06:50 AM

Thanks for the great replies! I was tempted last night when my landlord gave me a tiny bottle of champagne for watching her dog. I was tempted several times, but thanks to meeting and chatting with some girls here on SR I didn't. I do see the relationship now of how we have to sacrifice the moment for the future. :-)

CreativeThinker 05-23-2017 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by NewLife310 (Post 6468669)
I do see the relationship now of how we have to sacrifice the moment for the future. :-)

Yes! And every time we resist NewLife, the next time will get easier. Congrats on making the right choice!

Mizzuno 05-23-2017 07:58 AM

There is a lot of change that can happen when a person stops drinking. Personally, I sleep better. My eyes are clear. I do not have alcohol bloating. I look healthy and alive. I have not lost weight due to the fact that I dont really gain or lose, but my overall energy is good. I am accomplishing a ton of projects. Life is overall 100% better.

Give it time. Time is the healer. Please stick with us and keep posting. We are all on the same mission to heal ourselves.