Notices

Where/How to begin?

Old 05-21-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
It can be quit hard and even dangerous to quit drinking. Especially if you've been at it for many years.
I stopped cold turkey back in 2009 for 14 months. The first 3 days I had terrible insomnia and sweated till my blankets were soaked.
Thought I could "maintain" and fell back in a bottle till 2011.
Then I could only manage a month then>>>> back to square one.
Repeat over at least 3x.

In 2013 I made a plan to quit.
Asked God to help me break the bonds once and for all.
That Friday, (weekend)as I knew I was in for at least 3 days of hell I stopped.
3 Days of no sleep at all.
Sweat soaked sheets in the morning.
A general feeling like I was going to die.
I got past it.

Never looked back and this July it will be 4 years.
This site helped me get through some of the rough times.
It can for you as well, Karen.
But, if you need more,do whatever is necessary.
And live a life more abundantly.
Resolute50 !!!! Thank you! I am a follower of Christ as well! I am praying for healing - thank you! ✝️😎
Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Karen22 View Post
Resolute50 !!!! Thank you! I am a follower of Christ as well! I am praying for healing - thank you! ✝️😎
Resolute50 - thank you for your honesty and transparency - huge! I'm not sober just now - aka very high! I believe that my Father God has set this in motion- buckling up for a great ride!! Praise be to God!!
Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Karen, I wasn't quite ready when I first joined SR either. But in my heart I knew what needed to be done. I'm sure you've heard the term Fomo (fear of missing out). That was me - I was so afraid of all that I'd be losing. Instead of looking at all I'd be gaining - by leaving that sick old life behind. The more I read & posted here, the closer I got to stopping all together. I was getting up my courage & preparing myself. It worked - the words I read here, & the amazing support and encouragement - gave me the strength to change my life. 10 yrs. later, I'm still here & still sober. Please stay with us & let's do this.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Karen, I wasn't quite ready when I first joined SR either. But in my heart I knew what needed to be done. I'm sure you've heard the term Fomo (fear of missing out). That was me - I was so afraid of all that I'd be losing. Instead of looking at all I'd be gaining - by leaving that sick old life behind. The more I read & posted here, the closer I got to stopping all together. I was getting up my courage & preparing myself. It worked - the words I read here, & the amazing support and encouragement - gave me the strength to change my life. 10 yrs. later, I'm still here. Please stay with us & let's do this.
What did you do? First steps? Thank you?!? 💖
Old 05-21-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Karen22 View Post
I will finish with this.
I believe that everything happens for a reason.
Perhaps you being here is not by chance but by design.
Always follow that voice of reason,Karen.
You have started on the right pathway.
Be proud, it is one step, but you can do it.
Love in Christ.

Bob

PS
Hope to see you here again.
I will send you a friend request.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Karen, I wasn't quite ready when I first joined SR either. But in my heart I knew what needed to be done. I'm sure you've heard the term Fomo (fear of missing out). That was me - I was so afraid of all that I'd be losing. Instead of looking at all I'd be gaining - by leaving that sick old life behind. The more I read & posted here, the closer I got to stopping all together. I was getting up my courage & preparing myself. It worked - the words I read here, & the amazing support and encouragement - gave me the strength to change my life. 10 yrs. later, I'm still here & still sober. Please stay with us & let's do this.
Hevyn - I think I love you !! Thank you - I so relate?! 💃🏼
Old 05-21-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Getting a dr's advice is safest - I just cut down & then dumped everything out when I felt ready. Withdrawal can be dangerous - my blood pressure spiked, heart palps, etc. I had been drinking every day though.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Getting a dr's advice is safest - I just cut down & then dumped everything out when I felt ready. Withdrawal can be dangerous - my blood pressure spiked, heart palps, etc. I had been drinking every day though.
So - new thread maybe? Betty Ford ? Is there an affordable place to go ?
Old 05-21-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Big soirée last night - Had a blast - danced all night - made so many great new friends! So what's the problem?! I'm a drunk - don't remember half of it - embarrassed about blacking out - again! Hubby calls it "falling asleep" - bless his sweet enabling heart! I am so over this! Please - please - please tell me how you began?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
I will finish with this.
I believe that everything happens for a reason.
Perhaps you being here is not by chance but by design.
Always follow that voice of reason,Karen.
You have started on the right pathway.
Be proud, it is one step, but you can do it.
Love in Christ.

Bob

PS
Hope to see you here again.
I will send you a friend request.
Bob! I'm crying - you do touched my heart - thank you!
Old 05-21-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Yes! Throw it all out now. Start a new better life. I hope your hubby will support you. But regardless, stay sober for your own good.

Lots of support here. Use it!
I'd add to this go to a meeting- just GO. I kept drinking a long time "thinking about the why and how" so to speak of quitting.....I had to be DONE and make the permanent choice to be sober - THEN read books, see my drs, develop my AA program.....

The HOW you ask for - you quit. You literally, physically STOP drinking. I did it cold turkey. I risked uncertain physical consequences over a certain death by drinking. Others might advise tapering- that sounds to me like a dicey proposition for you with all the social stuff, and your swirling mind of questions - the bottom line is you have to decide to quit, and get support to stay sober and change your life. Truthfully- everything in my life comes second to my sobriety. And at 15 mo today, there is a ton of wonderful stuff I would lose if I ever drink again- more than I ever imagined I would have and there is no way I will risk this life for any party, new "friends," etc....

You can do it. Hope to see you around here.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wondering how you are today, Karen.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day One

Thanks to you all I've had a very productive day one - threw out ALL the booze, met with dr to create a detox plan, discussed all of this with my husband (said he's very proud of me). Now I'm all tucked in bed - took magnesium to help with sleep. Good night SR angels! 😘
Old 05-22-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Karen,

Many times I wanted desperately to get sober but just couldn't seem to get my feet under me to start.

For me the first step is usually (although not always) treatment. It just seems to be the way to be away from not only alchohol, but family, friends, jobs and problems long enough to get a foothold.

I have also done it without treatment. It works and you can do it, just a little bit harder sometimes.

Keep coming here. No matter how things are going ... as long as you come here you are opening to sobriety.

Dumping the booze and drugs is the best start, but I have never been able to stop till I finished the current bottle. What ever it takes do it.

Please be sure someone is with you the first 24 at least. withdrawal can be dangerous and it is actually best to see a dr asap. Depending on where you are, you might be able to go to the hospital emergency room to get some help getting started.

It's amazing what a banana bag, an adavan, and a bit of wrapping your head around that the drinking is over can be.

I hope you keep posting
Old 05-22-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

OOPS

I somehow missed your last post

probably due to my alchohol related brain damage.

Just stick with it and take it easy. You've done all the proper starter things.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

All is well

Wondering how you are today, Karen.
Hi Heyyn!
Thank you so much for following up - it means a lot! This is Day 2 and I feel good. I slept well last night - no sweats. I actually remember going to bed - lately I have been passing out in my chair and finding myself in bed hours later - where my clothes landed - anyone's guess.

I'm not sure if detox will get worse as the days grow. Whatever happens - I'm ready. So very over this addition and ready to enjoy life again.

How do so join the class of May 2017?
Thanks again! 😘
Old 05-23-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Karen,

Glad you made it through Day 1. The first few days can be rough. You're lucky that you were able to sleep. I had a h*** of a time with my sleep for some time after I stopped drinking.

Take care of yourself, rest, drink plenty of fluids and eat. Come to SR and post whenever you need to. We're all root'in for ya!

Old 05-23-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
OOPS

I somehow missed your last post

probably due to my alchohol related brain damage.

Just stick with it and take it easy. You've done all the proper starter things.

Good morning Ananda! I'm still figuring out how to manage this site. Thank you for your encouragement! It means so much! I hope to be able to help others here soon. Day 2 is looking great. Fingers crossed!I hope your day is stellar! 💖
Old 05-23-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You go girl!!!

You can do this. Just ask your self every morning "what can I do today to put in place things that will stand between me and a drink".

That seems to work well for me. You will find your path
Old 05-23-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Karen, I'm so glad to read the good news. You sound positive & happy to be getting free. Life's about to get so much better. Proud of you.