Notices

Quit drinking - floaty feeling while walking

Old 05-18-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit drinking - floaty feeling while walking

I am currently on day 5 and I wake up with dull headaches everyday, I also have a floaty feeling, some kind of SLIGHT dizziness that I feel all the time when I walk outside. This makes me extremely anxious and panicky. It makes me stay at home all day.

I have realized that it gets slightly better or even go away completely if I drink coffee, but this is just sometimes, sometimes coffee makes it worse. It is completely random. A headache pain killer takes it away almost completely as it takes away the headache, I guess the floaty feeling comes from the headache?

Can this have something to do with the sugar levels being out of control? I was a beer drinker and had 4-5 canned beers everyday. If it is, how long does it normally take (or how long did it take for you?) to go back to normal levels?

If I can get at least some kind of calming advice it would help alot, because right now I can't even go to the hospital because I will freak out on the way there.

Trying my best to drink water.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Only a doctor could say for sure, you could go and get a blood test done.

But I totally know that floaty feeling you're talking about, and yes I do think it's very likely out of whack blood sugars. But it could also be electrolyte imbalances. I've dealt with both, often, can be very dangerous if it's not managed properly so best to get checked out and get some good proper medical advice.

It could also be a whole host of other things now that I think on it.. ha ha. I get that feeling before migraines too.
But the worst and most notable for me has been withdrawal and blood sugar problems.

Get checked out, it will ease your mind. Do you have a friend or family member you can talk to, or you can lean on for support to get you to the doctor?

Hang in there! It will get better.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Mr Doggy

For me that lightheartedness was actually blood pressure problems - I'm not saying it's the same with you.... but the light headed feeling is probably something you should make an appointment about, just to be sure

There's no point in freaking out without anything concrete to freak out over.

If it is BP thats very easily managed, same with sugar, or electrolyte imbalances.

See a Dr and put your mind to rest.

D
D
Old 05-19-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies! You are the best!

I will try to go to the hospital next week...

If it would be low blood pressure or blood sugar, and it solely comes from the alcohol, is it reasonable to also expect that it naturally will regulate itself after a while?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MrDoggy View Post
If it would be low blood pressure or blood sugar, and it solely comes from the alcohol, is it reasonable to also expect that it naturally will regulate itself after a while?
Again, you'd need to speak with a doctor to confirm that as you don't know what the source of problem might be. It could even be anxiety related and not caused by a physical problem at all.

It is reasonable to expect that your health in general should improve after you quit drinking if you've been abusing alcohol - yes. But it's not reasonable to attribute ( or exclude ) any specifics without seeing a medical professional.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Mrd,

I had an unsteady feeling for over a year.

I called it paws.

I get a check up every year and my blood pressure was/is normal.

I didn't tell the dr. I was an alky.

He told me i was in the best shape ever.

I figure i wasn't used to being sober w normal bp.

When it settled down, the first thing i thought of was getting drunk again.

I didn't though. I don't drink anymore.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post

When it settled down, the first thing i thought of was getting drunk again.
I lost my voice for about 6 months a few years ago. I quit smoking cigarettes for fear of throat cancer and then was scoped. Once the scope came back clean (polyps) I bought a pack of cigs on the way home. How stupid of me! Now I am back to 2 months without a cigarette. And I still crave them something awful!!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Drink plenty of fluids to rehydrate
Old 05-19-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We shouldn't diagnose but I think most will agree that your physical discomfort at this stage of your sobriety is pretty common. It's going to take awhile for your body to normalize. Lots of protein and fluids. Keep those electrolytes up!

Btw, caffeine is a natural pain-killer, so coffee can have the effect described.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I had that, too, and I found that eating something sugary helped. But I would go get checked out if it continues. It could be a lot of things. You're still withdrawing at this early stage and things could be out of whack for a while. When I was in the first couple of weeks, I needed lots of sleep, water, and food. It got better gradually. But if it concerns you, please go get checked by a doctor.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I was a big Coors Light drinker and thought beer was food. I had to learn to eat good food again because hunger always meant "feed yourself with a few beers". I now take b-vitamins and drink coconut water for hydration and electrolytes. I get my sugars from berries that I put in my smoothies. Slowly my weakness and dizziness is improving. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi - I have had the floaty thing today as well (Day 3) but both blood pressure and blood sugars are at my normal levels (I test both daily). I think the body does all sorts of funny things when adjusting to sobriety - just takes time to settle down. But of course, a doctor's appointment is always the right thing to do if worried or concerned.

Good luck to everyone
Old 05-19-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Same here - day 3 - i chronicled my adventure in my post when i ventured outside - para 5 if your interested...goes away though...

Look up - My Long Story About My Detox, Symptoms Experienced....

Hang in there, gets worse before it gets better!