Notices

Day 1... Shakes, High BP, nausea

Old 05-04-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1... Shakes, High BP, nausea

I was doing great on my recovery and had an entire sober month of March and almost all April. Then arguments with the girlfriend kicked up and I felt like I wanted to die briefly over something that happened in our relationship. We've since mended it but over the period of about a week I abused alcohol like I never have before. I believe on Wednesday and the day before I went through almost a liter and a half of vodka and my main goal was to be drunk the entire day just so I could forget.

Emotionally, I feel fine now. But at about 12:00am last night I started experiencing 120-140 bpm heartrate that has lasted to me typing this now. I was shaking uncontrollably, but that has subsided mildy due to an oxazepam pill I had lying around from my last recovery. . I don't know if it was a nasty hangover or DT's.

I don't have the money for an in or out patient program at the moment, even though I do have insurance. I have one more pill of oxazepam left and then I'm out from my last recovery. I want to try to fight this one solo but I don't know if I'm putting myself at risk.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The safest way always is to see a Dr.
I didn't and had a pretty horrific last detox,

High BP is nothing to mess around with IMO.

D
Old 05-04-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No one here can answer that, sevenstring. I think you should call a doctor if you are worried.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's serious stuff your dealing with. You really should go to ER. John
Old 05-04-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The safest way always is to see a Dr.
I didn't and had a pretty horrific last detox,

High BP is nothing to mess around with IMO.

D
Do you mind sharing your story? Would love to hear it.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

The short version is I had several mini strokes.

I also had other things going on like a head injury so I'm not saying that going to happen to you necessarily - but there *are* all kinds of things that could go wrong in Detox, which is why I recommend a Dr

Racing heart and high BP is not a good place to be - why not get it checked out?

D
Old 05-04-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The withdrawals get nothing but worse and worse every time you drink, and I would take this as a serious lesson learned that the next time may land you in the hospital.
Rehab is covered by all insurance, so that shouldn't be an issue. If you want another route, there is always good ol' AA and addiction therapists as well.
You can also google "addiction center" and you'll likely be surprised at how many pop up in your area that also provide services.