Notices

Ultimatum

Old 05-07-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sprtslife View Post
Thanks Eddie.

Is this to say that if one is not religious or spiritual; they cannot become sober with AA as a benefit? I heard there are some holistic approaches that one can implement to help maintain their sobriety. Such as meditation for example. Is this true?
I use AA as my recovery program. I am not religious but I am spiritual. In a couple of different meetings that I attend there are atheist that attend also. They have long term sobriety 20+ years. One of them stated in a meeting- AA works if you believe in God, AA works if you don't believe in God, but AA won't work if you think you're God.
There are many recovery programs out there. Whatever keeps you sober and happy is the best one. Good luck buddy
Old 05-07-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Thanks Eddie.

Is this to say that if one is not religious or spiritual; they cannot become sober with AA as a benefit? I heard there are some holistic approaches that one can implement to help maintain their sobriety. Such as meditation for example. Is this true?
You don't have to believe anything to attend AA. Even the 12 steps are merely a suggested program of recovery. In my experience, we all come to recovery due to consequences of our addiction. Some are pretty horrid, others more of the "straw that broke the camels back" variety. It's what you do after you put down the bottle that makes the difference in the outcome. If nothing changes but what we imbibe, it's really tough to stay sober (and sane). Something has to fill the vacuum in the space of our lives that our addiction once occupied.

I consider meditation spiritual, and many people in recovery practice it as part of their routine. There are lots of ways to approach sobriety, but for sure, for most people it's quite a bit more work than simply putting the plug in the jug and living happily ever after. These are the things that a reputable rehab facility will teach you while you are in their care. Find what works for you... one size does not fit all.

Stay open minded, and you may well look back at this and see it as a major inflection point in your life. Good luck!

Ed
Old 05-08-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Hopefully this reaches everyone as good news. First of all in regards to my wife and marriage. I love my wife, she is bright, funny, witty and and excellent mother along with a pleathera of other assets.

We had a great talk this morning. I was never in denial of my drinking; I was in denial of how it was hurting my wife. She wasn't good at opening up to me about this until the ultimatum last week. She said it has nothing to do with how well I provide, or that I'm a great husband. She said i am. She told me I just feel as though you aren't present when you drink emotionally.

That's all I had to hear. The last thing I want to do is hurt my wife. So, soft drinks and keep my family, or drink alcohol and lose them. I'm looking forward to rehab and getting well. I've decided to do the right thing. Thank you to everyone who posted. All comments were taken seriously by me.
Great news so happy you spoke to eachother and good luck in rehab x
Old 05-19-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Sports,

Been off the thread for a while and glad things have improved. I replied early on, when you first posted. I got an ultimatum too.

I'm not a fan of the "higher power" in AA either. A friend who's an athiest going to AA feels there's a lot of alternative to what Higher Power can mean for you. He says, a door knob could be your higher power if you want. Personally, I've been going to a SMART meeting and been reading the SMART Handbook. Something you might want to check out.

Really glad things are turning around. They are for me and my wife too.

jk
Old 05-19-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hi!

Have you checked into AVRT? It has made a huge difference for me!

It's another tool to add to your arsenal.

Check it out and let us know how you like it.

Hope to see you around.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

My sons 3, and my 15 year old daughter couldn't love me more. I don't miss any of my kids activities, and I'm the first one at night playing with my son on the floor, while my wife is on the couch eating candy and going outside to smoke cigarettes. Please.
THIS IS NOT THE TRUTH. It's your alcoholism talking.

I can PROMISE you that- at least for your 15 year old- you are not as awesome and loveable a dad as you think. I say that as someone whose mom's alcoholism took hold when I was 11. We (the kids) KNOW.

I have thoughts similar to others (see Dee, for example) but just had to comment specifically on this. If you get sober, I am 100% certain you will be a better father.