Notices

Collective Recovery

Old 05-03-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Collective Recovery

Collective Recovery
As many of you must know I have posted before, suggesting that, at least in my experience, collective recovery (being helped by other persons) is likely to be less risky and more effective than trying to go it alone. My favorite metaphor has been mountain climbing and I have referred a number of times to the North Wall of the Eiger in Switzerland, including photos of the same in my posts. I see in this morning’s New York Times Op. Ed. Section, p. A-27 (the Boston edition) that Ueli Steck has been killed attempting a climb of Everest and Nuptse, a nearby peak. Awhile back he made a successful solo climb of Eiger’s North Face in two hours, twenty two minutes. I believe there is a video on UTube of him making that climb. So many have perished there! It is said that frayed ropes could be seen dangling from pitons in the rock face.
You may care to look for this Times article, no doubt available on the internet. And you might refer to my previous SR threads and posts reviewing what I have said about possible analogies between mountain climbing, the Eiger, and alcohol or substance recovery.

W.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting, collective. I feel like that is the one thing I'm missing (on day 13). I desperately want a support system. I plan on going to my first AA meeting tomorrow... but I find it's tough to find other YP who have recognized their alcoholism.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, William. Thanks for the post. I just read NYT's obituary on Ueli Steck. He sounds like he was a fascinating guy.
Very sorry for his family. I guess when you are married to a climber, well, it's just sad, that's all.
Haven't seen a post from you in a while. Glad you are here.
Peace.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Bill, I've definitely benefited from the collective wisdom and support here.

RIP Ueli Steck.

D
Old 05-03-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just recently watched the documentary "The Summit" about the 2012 climbing disaster on K2. Many of the mental challenges the climbers faced remind me of some of my struggles with alcoholism.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I never liked the phrase "conquered the mountain"

I do like the idea of collective recovery though, shared experiences, advice, encouragement, these all help and they are not available if you decide to" go it alone" Hence the existance of places like SR I suppose.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Homesteadforage View Post
Thanks for posting, collective. I feel like that is the one thing I'm missing (on day 13). I desperately want a support system. I plan on going to my first AA meeting tomorrow... but I find it's tough to find other YP who have recognized their alcoholism.

you'll prolly find quite a few young people in aa. might take hitting quite a few different meetings, but they are there.

http://www.ypaa.info/meetings.php
best aa speaker i have heard had just celebrated 28 years sobriety and she was 42
Old 05-03-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very sad news about Ueli Steck.

Off to read your prior thread, Bill
Old 05-03-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I think in mountaineering, it is always a good idea to hook up with a few people who have climbed mountains before, and know how to do it without ending up dead. That could be another analogy for recovering with others.