Notices

Don't want to drink today

Old 05-03-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't want to drink today

Day 1.

I'm trying to quit. I feel like I'm missing out on opportunities and living my best life by drinking.

Sometimes it's just a few drinks on the weekends. Other times, like this week, it was a bottle a day from Sunday - Tuesday. By Tuesday, I spent the afternoon thinking about going home and opening that bottle. I even left work 30 minutes early.

Someone described it well in another post - they were just filling up those four hours a day after work just because. . . that describes me, except I want to do something else in those four hours. Learn a new language, take some online courses, read a book - that would be my ideal life. Hopefully staying away from the bottle will help me get closer to that goal.

Thank you all for your posts.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not drinking will certainly help you achieve those goals. You don't want to end up with a lot of lost time and many regrets. Stay close to SR. You can do this!! John
Old 05-03-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

If "that bottle" you referenced is in your house, please get rid of it. You have no use for it.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose View Post
If "that bottle" you referenced is in your house, please get rid of it. You have no use for it.

Opened it last night and kicking myself that I didn't pour it out this morning. The good thing is I'm day-dreaming about pouring it out as soon as I get home, as opposed to drinking it.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by asteriluxe View Post
Opened it last night and kicking myself that I didn't pour it out this morning. The good thing is I'm day-dreaming about pouring it out as soon as I get home, as opposed to drinking it.
Been there man. Pouring out booze takes a lot of willpower. I've done it many times so I know how tough it is. But I'll tell ya, the relief is fantastic. The urge seems to immediately disappear as soon as you do it. John
Old 05-03-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I am going to pass on to you an invitation I received.

" But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails, if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when you were getting another drink."

It has never failed me.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Pour it out . You dont ever have to drink again!
Old 05-03-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

Been there many times. It only gets worse. You'll start drinking earlier and more often and lose more valuable time. I have so much more time now where I'm not completely useless at best or suicidal/ violent at worst.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you ended up dumping the bottle asteriluxe

D