Notices

I think I'm a alcoholic

Old 04-26-2017, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I'm a alcoholic

Hello,

It's been almost a year since I've been drinking a 6 pack and more everyday. Im concerned alcohol will eventually ruin my life and career. I have tried quitting many times by myself, but find myself drinking at the end of the day. I have realize I cannot quit on my own and need assistant, which is why I found this site for assistant.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome TKH, you will find lots of support here. The first few weeks after quitting I read here everyday. Not only is it a great group of people helping each other, the knowledge you gain from there experience will help you stay sober.

Glad you found SR. It changed my life. I know it will help you too
Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Welcome, lots of support here. Have you considered an AA meeting?
Old 04-26-2017, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's how it started for me. A beer or two. Then a 6 pack a day. Then 8 beers a day. Now, more recently 10-12 beers a day. If we don't kick the monkey off our backs, it will continue to bite us. I'm just beginning recovery too... won't you hang around and we can encourage each other? I cannot quit on my own either, unfortunately.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Still time to join the April class if you guys haven't. Sending strength to both of you!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 04-26-2017, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you found us. Dee has an excellent thread on making a plan. Simply removing alcohol doesn't tend to be much of a long-term solution for people who have made alcohol a big part of their life, identity, and strategies for dealing with things. Making a plan and sticking to it can make all the difference...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

This place and AA have been amazing sources of support for me and definitely went a long way to helping me in my sobriety the last 3 years. Thing is, I still needed to work my plan. Daily. And will continue to need this if I want good quality sobriety.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 04-26-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Tkh

D
Old 04-27-2017, 02:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR TKH,

Look around, post lots and you'll get great support.

Good luck on your sober journey :-)
Old 04-28-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteveAlex View Post
Welcome, lots of support here. Have you considered an AA meeting?
Sorry, I'm new. What are AA meetings???
Old 04-28-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ExhaustedPigeon View Post
That's how it started for me. A beer or two. Then a 6 pack a day. Then 8 beers a day. Now, more recently 10-12 beers a day. If we don't kick the monkey off our backs, it will continue to bite us. I'm just beginning recovery too... won't you hang around and we can encourage each other? I cannot quit on my own either, unfortunately.
I know it's wrong, but I'm happy I'm not the only one who needs help quiting..
Old 04-28-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Tkh. I'm only 10 days sober so it's early days for me too. This place has been a great start for me too, everyone is so supportive, kind and knowledgeable. AA=Alcoholics Anonymous. I'm sure someone else can give you more info than me (I haven't been to a meeting yet) but if you type it in your internet search engine you should be able to find meeting locations in your area.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Tkh.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Look around. It's progressive.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not sure where you are in the world so I'll give you the AA uk link
As that's where I'm based. AA is worldwide though so a quick Google of 'alcoholics aa your country ' would soon bring up the info.

Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd - Home

Here are a few things that I wanted to know nyself at the start....

AA is Anonymous (No registers or similar).

It is run entirely by alcoholics in recovery for others who want to stop drinking.

If you ever ran into a neighbour or colleague in a meeting they would be there for just the same reason as you.

AA is free and you just donate a nominal amount when the donation pot goes round (the money is just to cover expenses).

You can go to any 'open' or 'closed' meeting that you can get to. Some meetings might be named 'Beginner' meetings but everyone is always welcome to attend any meeting.

The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.

Membership just entails showing up.

I'm one of the many people whose lives have been completely changed (on the inside) by AA. I'm now 3 years sober. It was a pleasure for me last night to wish my friend at my favourite meeting a happy 25th sober AA birthday. Also at that meeting were a couple of ladies who have been sober just a couple of months who are already starring to look less rattley. I noticed last night that they're making eye contact and calmer. They don't have red eyes any more. It's a privilege to get to see newcomers recovering and help them along a little.

Anyway. I wish you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 04-29-2017, 03:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome TKH,

I think you will find people here who have been exactly where you are today. The support is amazing.

Myself today will be my day 3 being sober so there are many people you right there with you. If you were like me signing up for an account and making that first post was the hard part for me. It was admitting I needed help. I am finding that help here and I think you will to.

Post often and read what others are posting as well. You can learn a lot here our addiction and acquire tools for your toolbox so when that urge to drink comes you will be prepared.

Again, welcome and remember, you are not the only one dealing with this.

Pianoman