Notices

Irritability?

Old 04-26-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Irritability?

I'm at the end of Day 5, which I'm super happy about! I feel great physically and my entire household has benefitted from a sober mom/wife. However this evening I am so cranky I can barely stand myself!! I'm generally a pretty easygoing person (even when I'm not drinking) so this feels foreign to me. Every little thing is getting on my last nerve! Part of withdrawal??
Old 04-26-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, yes yes!! My god can I relate. I think my poor husband preferred me drinking. Maybe it's all our hormones readjusting because I feel like I've got PMS! Day 6 here! Hang in there.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Emotions can be all over the place in early recovery. Hang on tight and ride it out, it will pass.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2/2016

OMG I was so angry, a very short fuse for at least a month. I learned to stop and count. I would say to myself, "you are angry, why are you angry". Just stopping and breathing helped a lot. Good luck
Old 04-26-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, I also felt very irritated over the most inconsequential things. It was ridiculous. But, it seems to be part of the process of learning to manage emotions without benefit of alcohol. Try to remember they are just emotions and you can let them go.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Early recovery is often described as an emotional roller coaster. However, we owe it to our family not to take them on the ride with us.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Absolutely, I was filled with anxiety & very short-tempered. We're adjusting to the new us. Everything settled down for me. You're doing great, Freedom.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I was expecting the stomach upset, fatigue, etc but the irritation I felt earlier took me by surprise. Glad to know I'm not alone
Old 04-26-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mood swing, cranky.....oh yeah! I went through that last week around day 5. That and never ending headache. It's better now at day 11.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Freedom, the irritability is normal. I hated everyone and everything for months after I quit drinking. It fluctuated like the roller coaster that Carl mentioned. It did get better as time passed.

On a different front and someone else's story, my husband has been attempting to stay sober and I can tell for sure when he's experiencing any cravings because he's generally crabby and short tempered.

Hopefully for you it passes. Ride it out. Take time to yourself when you're feeling especially short tempered. Tell yourself that this too shall pass.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Some days Im fine. Others I am pissed at the world. I think we need to give
Our brains time to sort through the different emotions we have without alcohol covering them up.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness yes..I am on Day 13 and today is seriously the first day I haven't been absolutely foul.. From Day three to Day 11, I thought I was going to alienate every person I knew because my fuse was so short and I could not tolerate any annoyance. . I did manage to alienate a co-worker and I have to fix that. I can't even approach her yet in person ( I did email her) because I cannot trust myself to not be vile if she pushes my buttons! I have worked at my job for 28 years and have good relationships there. I kept thinking how ironic it would be to be fired for getting sober rather than for being the drunk I was because the drunk was nice but the sober person was a total B!
Thank God, it lessened today. I have fingers crossed for tomorrow. You hang in ther and so will I. Everybody else hang in there too!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on day 6
Old 04-27-2017, 01:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yep
Old 04-27-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Part of withdrawal - part of recovery!!

I have found that during days, my sobriety journey to date, there have been ups and downs mood wise that gradually evened out. Four months was a particularly irritable point as was 90 days (exactly, that day!) and 9 mos. Learning to deal with it more evenly and quickly, and knowing that it will pass- using my tools learned through AA and spiritual study - has been key.

Great job on six days- keep going. Work a program. It gets better and better in every way.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, very moody still at 5weeks!! Also tense, feel like I could use a massage. I am working out to try to relieve some of the tension, but it is not really helping. I am sleeping fantastic though!!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can SO relate! I have this trigger-time around 4-6pm every night. I get anxious, irritable and just pissed off. The thing that helps me is getting OUT of my house! I'll take my dog for a walk, water my back flowers, or even go to the gym or yoga studio. At the very least, I'll go into my bedroom, with the air on high, lights out, lay down and rest and TALK to myself.

Like others have said, these feelings WILL pass. We all have feelings, but reacting to them is our CHOICE. I've found that the AV (addict voice) is something I've started to call-out. Whenever I start to rationalize or slip back to those "thoughts" I recognize right away who's talking. Not ME. So it's almost powerful to divide my correct thoughts with the AV, and take charge of my reactions to my own thinking.

Who knew this was all so MENTAL? I'm a trainer and constantly telling my clients to get "mentally tough" when they want to stop an exercise. I need to take my own advice. So far, it's working. Good luck and keep posting! We all need each other to get thru!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I was never irritable. It's just that for the first 90 days or so that I was sober everyone around me was so stupid. They were rude and inconsiderate. Some of them were even out to get me.

I'm so glad they eventually got smarter and clamed down.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Omgosh. This post cracked me up last night. My day #3 was yesterday and towards the end of the night I was *SO* cranky. I'm with you!