Notices

Needing someone to talk to. Going through it bad!

Old 04-16-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing someone to talk to. Going through it bad!

Hello guys,

I'm brand new here, and I've been battling a 10+ year addiction to prescription meds, (opiates and benzos), I'm a father of 4 and a extremely hard workin guy.. I'm on day 4 of going cold turkey and I honestly feel pretty good other than having ZERO energy or drive, it's put me in a deep depression and I honestly don't have much hope considering I don't see the light at the end of this damn tunnel... my wife can't relate really because she's never had a addiction even remotely close to this, and nobody that is close to me, knows I'm going through this right now. Guess I'm just saying I really don't have anyone to talk to or ask for advice, anything anyone can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Welcome!!! So
Much support here. Stick around!
Old 04-16-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR 11BangBang. Lots of people going through what you are here. I am addicted to alcohol not opiates but I think many of the recovery stategies are similar ie have plenty of distractions, eat well and watch out for HALT periods (hungry, angry, lonely, tired).

Although you may not see it now there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel as the withdrawals get less frequent (as I say I am not an opiate addict so I cannot be precise)

Try not to dwell on the "forever" aspect as that brings people down. One day at a time gets you there.

Goid luck
Old 04-16-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Bang Bang, I know the opiate, benzo train too well unfortunately. Day four is normally the worst day for most opiates with regards to physical withdrawal but then the opiate malaise kicks in and that is where the real fight begins. A lot of people think it's all over in a few days but you know better. It will take a while for you to get your energy back, the main advice given at this stage is to do anything that gets your endorphins going. Anything you can. You no doubt know coming of Benzo's cold turkey can be fatal. You can have seizures so you need to be real about how you are feeling and consider how frequently you were using Benzo's. Don't think it can't happen, it can even at this stage. Not trying to scare you but it's best to be in the know. What you are going through now is what keeps most opiate users on opiates. This is the toughest part but you can get though this and come out the other side. Many do. It's literally one foot in front of the other and build your days up until you can see, feel a change. Your wife won't understand. It's one of those things you can only really experience to understand in my opinion. You're doing great. 4 days is amazing. Don't stop now keep going. Did you jump or taper?
Old 04-16-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
All is Change

I don't know what cold turkey from a benzo addiction is like but the stories I read made me cautious. I found a slow taper (over about six months) very successful. I'd say make sure a doctor is aware of your withdrawals.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I have no experience with pills but we do have a substance abuse forum here that may be helpful to you.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad you found us.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 04-16-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bang Bang

Yeah I don't know much about opiates or benzoes but day 4 is pretty early...it's probably going to be a slog for a little while...

Support helps tho - and there's tons of that here.

Welcome

D
Old 04-16-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, BangBang. Very sorry for what you're going through. It helps to talk things over with those who understand - I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep going, don't look back!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Perhaps NA? See a doctor- w/d's are crap and can be unsafe. Counsellor? KEEP POSTING.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bangbang,
Day four is great. It does take a lot of work. You can do it. Day five is next my friend. Sounds like you have many good things in your life. It will get better
Old 04-16-2017, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Remember, just because you feel a feeling, doesn't mean it is based on reality. Feelings are not reality. Ride it out. This too shall pass.