Notices

All day yesterday in pub day 6

Old 04-16-2017, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All day yesterday in pub day 6

So I spent most of the day yesterday in the pub with husband and friends, never touched a drop, had a packet of nuts and a diet coke, was bored bored bored. But never even wanted to drink, hope this continues, day 6 for me. Hope yous are all doing well xx
Old 04-16-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you weren't tempted lastchance...but stay aware...

I tried to live my old life with my friends many times and one night, sooner or later, with no warning I'd order a drink...

I'm not wishing you ill...I'm jut saying...don't take your addiction for granted.

D
Old 04-16-2017, 04:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good one lcs
Old 04-16-2017, 04:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lastchancesaloo View Post
So I spent most of the day yesterday in the pub with husband and friends, never touched a drop, had a packet of nuts and a diet coke, was bored bored bored. But never even wanted to drink, hope this continues, day 6 for me. Hope yous are all doing well xx
Sounds like torture.

I'm not ready for that.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To Dees point and Just Tony's as well.....

I don't do any of the things I did while drinking. And I have found I simply don't want to either. Everything I choose to do is meant to support- not put at risk- my emotional and physical sobriety. That makes everything in my life immeasurably easier.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lastchancesaloo View Post
I remember trying to do the same in early sobriety. And yes, bored bored bored. I don't do that now. I might pop in for half hour and have a coffee or coke or whatever (or maybe a meal) but thankfully have built up my sober life so I have good friends in recovery, and have rediscovered what I like doing other than drinking in my free time. I'm also calm and content alone and quiet nowadays which I wasn't before. I hope that you start to build up your sobriety tools, people and places soon so that you don't feel the need to sit there watching others drink and listening to the chat become more inane and repetitive as the time wears on. I found it excruciating.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 04-16-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

PS. Likelihood is that if your hubby, family, and friends are in the UK and like a drink, today and tomorrow will be pub based as well. Why not check out where the AA meetings are in your area and pop along to some? Bank holidays don't make any odds to AA meetings, they go ahead as usual... Find a Meeting | AA Meetings | Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd

BB

Last edited by Dee74; 04-16-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Give the pub a miss next time, it can be painful viewing through sober eyes. Theres a million and one better things to do with your day, in fact the possibilites are endless!
Old 04-16-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I saw a circus side show where there was a live chicken in a fryin pan. that pan was getting hotter and hotter and the chicken just kep hoppin all around in the pan.
I never understood why the chicken didn't just jump out of the pan.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
I saw a circus side show where there was a live chicken in a fryin pan. that pan was getting hotter and hotter and the chicken just kep hoppin all around in the pan.
I never understood why the chicken didn't just jump out of the pan.
Not a bad analogy but alcohol doesn't really work like that. A better one is as follows:

The frog in the saucepan.

If you put a frog into scalding water it will instantly jump out. A bit like if you took a sip of alcohol and knew that the very next drop would absolutely 100% kill you stone dead (nearly everyone would stop for a while).

But if you put a frog into cold water and slowly start to heat the water up until the water gets to 100 degrees centigrade, the frog will stay in there and just boil to death. That's alcohol for the alcoholic. Right there.

Tony
Old 04-16-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bars suck when you don't drink. I hated bars when I could drink. They're boring either way.

~Bunnez
Old 04-16-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you weren't tempted lastchance...but stay aware...

I tried to live my old life with my friends many times and one night, sooner or later, with no warning I'd order a drink...

I'm not wishing you ill...I'm jut saying...don't take your addiction for granted.

D
I totally agree with you, Dee. Wise words!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There is one reason to hang out in a pub all day and that is to drink. Recovery is about a new life not about making your old life work without alcohol.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Not a bad analogy but alcohol doesn't really work like that. A better one is as follows:

The frog in the saucepan.

If you put a frog into scalding water it will instantly jump out. A bit like if you took a sip of alcohol and knew that the very next drop would absolutely 100% kill you stone dead (nearly everyone would stop for a while).

But if you put a frog into cold water and slowly start to heat the water up until the water gets to 100 degrees centigrade, the frog will stay in there and just boil to death. That's alcohol for the alcoholic. Right there.

Tony
alcohol doesnt work that way.
however, the actions of an alcoholic do. stopping drinkin, sittin in a bar bored and just keep sittin there.
hop out of the pan.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 6 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your wise words. I'll keep that in mind. Next time I'll just use his money and shop instead xx