Notices

tough week

Old 04-14-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
2/2016

I got sober alone. Easter without family around especially my late wife. It isn't all roses everywhere but at your house.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

John, have you ever considered working with or volunteering with the elderly?

There are so many people in nursing homes with great need and incomprehensible loneliness.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noone here is your enemy, man.

Maybe you're drinking, but that still is really no excuse.

You know what I learned?

you can be as sensitive as you like - but you just can't drink on it, John, not if you want change.

Thats the bottom line.

D
Old 04-15-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sorry guys. I had a bit of a meltdown. Glad I quit teaching when I did. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here today. Setting boundaries has always been a problem for me. This last assignment just reminded me that I still have a problem with that. This "don't worry, I'll save you" attitude can be life threatening. I have a problem walking away from people that are hurting or need help. This may sound like I'm a great guy but nothing can be further from the truth. Sure, helping people in need is a good thing, but ya gotta know when enough is enough and walk away and feel ok with that. I can't save anybody. Meanwhile, a student asked me to attend her graduation next month. I didn't save her from anything but I must of made a difference. Now that's healthy. John
Old 04-15-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
under new management

(((John)))
Old 04-15-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

An invitation to a student's graduation.

That speaks volumes, John.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ok....glad you came back around.

I can get the same way. My top blows off and then I settle down and see the reality.

Being a human being is quite fascinating.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
An invitation to a student's graduation.

That speaks volumes, John.
Yeah, i've known this kid since middle school. Didn't do much for her except giving her some of my time. Really don't know why she wants me there but I guess it means something to her so I'll go. John
Old 04-15-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Yeah, i've known this kid since middle school. Didn't do much for her except giving her some of my time. Really don't know why she wants me there but I guess it means something to her so I'll go. John
Time!!!!! So many kids are starved for attention and for someone to take the TIME.

You did that, John, and she hasn't forgotten.

, John.

Be proud.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Time!!!!! So many kids are starved for attention and for someone to take the TIME.

You did that, John, and she hasn't forgotten.

, John.

Be proud.
I guess this shows how a "hi, how are you doing?" can make a difference. She did share how alone she felt, but I didn 't think much of it cause kids feel this all the time even when they have plenty of attention, but maybe this kid really felt that way and I didn't know it. Maybe I being there over the years helped her more than I know. Very humbling experience. Makes me feel my time here counts. John
Old 04-15-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Your time here does count, John. I am sure that many kids remember you and your positive influence.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Your time here does count, John. I am sure that many kids remember you and your positive influence.
I'm sure many kids remember me and hopefully for good reasons. I have kids come back and thank me for being so tough on them, and others not so thankful.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm sure many kids remember me and hopefully for good reasons. I have kids come back and thank me for being so tough on them, and others not so thankful.
Those who are not thankful may become so as life goes on!
Old 04-15-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Those who are not thankful may become so as life goes on!
You sound like wise person with experience in matters like these. You'r
right; I have had some experiences with kids that grow up and see things differently. I had a kid that bought his own automotive shop. Turned out that I had car problems and ended up in his shop since it was a block from where I broke down. Didn't know this was a kid I worked with until I saw some mail on his desk with his name on it. I could n't stand this kid and kicked him out of my classroom cause he was so disrespectful to others. He not only fixed my car but wouldn't take a dime for it. Told me to come back any time to work on my car. Turns out he was married with a kid and was doing fine. This kid had every reason to hate me but he didn't. Go figure. John
Old 04-15-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You sound like wise person with experience in matters like these. You'r
right; I have had some experiences with kids that grow up and see things differently. I had a kid that bought his own automotive shop. Turned out that I had car problems and ended up in his shop since it was a block from where I broke down. Didn't know this was a kid I worked with until I saw some mail on his desk with his name on it. I could n't stand this kid and kicked him out of my classroom cause he was so disrespectful to others. He not only fixed my car but wouldn't take a dime for it. Told me to come back any time to work on my car. Turns out he was married with a kid and was doing fine. This kid had every reason to hate me but he didn't. Go figure. John
What a fantastic outcome, John. It's great that you were able to see both sides of the coin in that young man.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

What a fantastic outcome, John. It's great that you were able to see both sides of the coin in that young man.
Yeah, I think we both grew up but in different ways. We developed a mutual respect for each other. despite our differences. I still see Tony as a pain in the you know where and I am sure he sees me the same way, but when it counts, we are all the same. Pretty cool experience. John