Notices

Starting fresh today

Old 03-30-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting fresh today

Ok I'm going to stop drinking. I realize I just can't drink any more and I'm never going to be able to drink in a heathy way. I didn't want to be an alcoholic so I have been fighting this, but I am... if that means when I drink I can't control it. I'm not sure how to make a game plan now? How do I get a sponsor if I want one? Do I want one? Should I go to back AA or counseling? I'm not sure what to do? But I know I'm not drinking anymore starting now!
Old 03-30-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats to the new fresh world. Enjoy the life now.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Try a meeting and counseling. Stick with the one that feels right. Or both.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Cat37 View Post
I'm not sure what to do? But I know I'm not drinking anymore starting now!
What do you do? Do everything in your power to support that decision to quit drinking.

And don't change you mind at the first push back from your addiction.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm suppose to be married next weekend...am I setting myself up to fail? Meaning by being around everyone drinking so soon? I'm worried about it already....I told myself one day at a time and maybe I'll be stronger in a week...last time (three weeks ago) I only made it 5 days but I know that was because I told myself I'm fine if I can stop drinking for a few days and that I could drink normally which now I know is not true ....and I k ow I'm overthinking lol it's hard ....not too
Old 03-30-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Is there some alternative? Kinda hard not to be at your own wedding.

Get some ginger ale and keep a glass in your hand all night.

Getting sober and getting married - that's a big week! Congrats!
Old 03-30-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Counsellor- yes. Meeting- AA, which is where the sponsors are- a good idea. See your doc about your physical health. Well done on being proactive.
Support to you, PJ
Old 03-30-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm suppose to be married next weekend...am I setting myself up to fail? Meaning by being around everyone drinking so soon? I'm worried about it already....I told myself one day at a time and maybe I'll be stronger in a week...last time (three weeks ago) I only made it 5 days but I know that was because I told myself I'm fine if I can stop drinking for a few days and that I could drink normally which now I know is not true ....and I k ow I'm overthinking lol it's hard ....not too
Does your fiance know about your struggle?
Old 03-30-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Is there some alternative? Kinda hard not to be at your own wedding.

Get some ginger ale and keep a glass in your hand all night.

Getting sober and getting married - that's a big week! Congrats!
Thank you for the idea...part on me thought to wait until after the wedding to set a quit date but then I thought ...is there ever a good time to quit? There will always be an excuse ..now this might be extenuating circumstances being it's my wedding...lol
Old 03-30-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lava256 View Post
Does your fiance know about your struggle?

Yes he does ...I told him I was going to wait till after the wedding ...he knows I went to counseling and one AA a few weeks ago...he's supportive ...actually shared my posts with him on here last night. He's really great and he doesn't really drink so that helps!
Old 03-30-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can understand the line of thinking "it won't be fun at my wedding, if I'm denying myself a drink/refusing to celebrate/keeping myself dry and boring." I used that same line of thinking, except instead of a wedding it was a vacation, or a business trip, or Sunday Funday, or just Tuesday night.

Instead ask yourself this: "It won't be fun at my wedding if I have one glass, that leads to 5, that leads to 10/if I have a hangover the day after/if my new spouse is upset because of how I acted while drunk/if I'm spending more time in the restroom at the reception because I'm drunk, than with my friends and family"

This is hard, but TRUST...you will have fun and feel love at your wedding because of the PEOPLE and experiences and NOT because of the booze. And days or weeks or years from now, you'll think "I'm so glad I stayed sober that day, so I can remember all of it today." Do you want to think to yourself "I wish I hadn't gotten so drunk at my wedding and did..."

You can do this. Keep posting here.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like you say there's no good time to quit.

Your wedding is a very special day - spend it as you mean to go on - sober

D
Old 03-30-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you for the idea...part on me thought to wait until after the wedding to set a quit date but then I thought ...is there ever a good time to quit? There will always be an excuse ..now this might be extenuating circumstances being it's my wedding...lol
Honestly, this would be a great opportunity to show yourself that you are going to start your new married life as a sober woman. You will not begin your new married life drunk. What a gift to give yourself and your husband-to-be. Remember getting married isn't just about the ceremony and party. It's about the commitment to each other and to the marriage.