Notices

I am lost and dont know what to do

Old 03-29-2017, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am lost and dont know what to do

So I am 19 years old a college student and probably an alcoholic. I don't know what to do next. I just don't know what to do I am scared. Many people in my family are/was alcoholics. When something happens anything it could be stress or begin depressed or I have nothing to do. I will turn to alcohol and get so drunk I start puking and even then I don't stop at all and I don't want to stop at all. I always down play it when I get asked about it. Why? Because I don't want help at all I think I am fine and I am starting to realize I am not fine and that my friends have been telling me is true. I drink during the week also.

Recently I have got in a lot of trouble with the school and the police because of drinking all want to know what I wanted to do the next day just get drunk again and make it go away. I just don't know what to do? Are they right? My gf asked me about it tonight and she said she will help me I showed her some test I took online and it said I was the thing I feared most that I was an alcoholic idk what to do? I am so lost. I am scared lost and don't know what to do.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome GG, only you know if you're an alcoholic or not. If you are, welcome to the biggest club that no one wanted to join.

As for your trouble, that will take care of itself. Don't future trip on it that will only cause you more anxiety. Get a lawyer or talk to a counselor and do as they say to help rectify your situation. As someone that got into and out of many situations, be humble, take the steps necessary so you don't repeat it.

I knew I was an alcoholic in high school and college. I drank for 25 more years afterward created a ton of wreckage in my wake. I truly wish I had your glimmer of insight to reach out. You'll find tremendous amount of support here and almost everywhere when you ask for it.

Good luck and many prayers
Old 03-29-2017, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

GG- thanks for the post.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OOps- pushed wrong button. Welcome. You are not alone. If you are worried about your drinking- the best thing to do if you cannot control it- is to stop. Support- prof. support is a good idea. Your college must have student counsellors- I would start there. Be honest with yourself and them. If you have any physical worries make sure you see a doctor. There are also AA meetings- yes young people go to- increasingly so, and more girls too. Just sit quietly and listen- you do not have to share and no one judges. You do no0t have to. An honest and brave post. So good you are seeking help and have an awareness of this at your age. Act on that- it may be a great boost to you- with self esteem and confidence.
Support and empathy to you. Keep posting, PJ.

btw- there is also a women's only thread in SR.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome GG
This is a welcoming safe place - glad to have you join us
Most of us freaked out a little when considering what an alcohol free life might be like...but I can honestly say I have no regrets.

I was able to find a 'me' I'd forgotten about, and my life, and the relationships in it, got a lot better...no more legal or job trouble

I'm enjoying my life immensely - which is something I couldn't say as a drinker.

D
Old 03-30-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I was 19 I had a lot of those same things to say.....

Except I refused to even consider I might have 'a problem'.

So I kept drinking and drugging and getting in trouble - with schools, the law, the military, wives, work, you name it..... until I could finally deny it no more and had screwed up many of my best 20 years of life.

Now I'm in my 4th year sober and life is better than ever.

I sure hope you choose sobriety sooner than I did, and give yourself the greatest gift you possibly can: your life.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are so young. Don't do what I did a waste thirty years of your life. It's just not worth it. Get the help you need now to kive a sober life. You will find lots of support here.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Hello and welcome GG. I, too, came here feeling lost and terrified with no idea where to start. I knew I had a drinking problem, drank everyday, I couldn't stop on my own.

I began by posting here, then I joined AA who, among other things, taught me not to have that first drink, if I didn't have the first, I wouldn't have the second or the seventh etc.

Only you can decide if alcohol has become a problem in your life, but you are in the right place here if you are looking for support.

This is a good and safe community.

Read around and post whenever you want too
Old 03-30-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by gaygirl19 View Post
I am scared lost and don't know what to do.
Step 1: stop drinking
Step 2: find alternative ways to deal with stress, depression, and boredom

Welcome to the fight of your life.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!i knew in my early 20s alcohol was a problem. I did not start really doing something about until my late 20s. I'm now mid 30s and 4 months sober. I never had a catastrophe per say, just a long downward spriral of unhappiness and not living my full potential. Don't concern yourself with the label of alcoholic. It sounds like alcohol is causing you problems. It is great you are recognizing it. Quitting now will save you a lot of heartache.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lots of support GG. Well done on reaching out.

I too realized I had a serious problem at about your age. I knew alcohol was ruining everything... I had past fun stage where alcohol was doing anything positive for me, for absolute certain, but I drank for another decade trying to control it. It was futile.

If you think you have a problem (you are posting on a recovery forum and feel out of control so you are worried at least) quit now. From reading here, it seems almost certain that when it becomes a problem you can't go back.

I honestly wasted at least 20 years of my life on alcohol addiction. Don't be me.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Denial is a big part of alcoholism and it's normal to feel scared when you know you have to stop drinking. If you don't know what to do, get rid of the alcohol in your home and don't buy anymore. Come up with a plan that works for you. Keeping busy and changing daily routines is often helpful in the early days. I hope that you continue to read and post.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome GG.

When I look back the signs were there for me early on. I just chose to ignore them. I could have saved myself a couple of decades of mental and emotional chaos and plenty of unmanageable areas of my life if I'd have realised what you have when you have, and taken action to remove myself from that crazy vortex of a merry-go-round earlier.

You certainly won't have been the youngest newcomer that AA has ever seen if you choose to take that route though. There have been plenty younger than you who have opted to get sober and work a 12-step program of recovery. And that is free, and it is anonymous. It is run completely by other alcoholics in recovery who understand what it's like to get sober and learn a different way of dealing with life.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 03-30-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome GG. This is a great place. Thank you for posting.