Notices

Sobriety break?

Old 03-21-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
09/26/2015

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
alcohol may have been my main DOC, but if I use some other substance to get the same effect alcohol gave me, im not sober.
I agree with this completely. For me drugs were my thing but if you gave me some alcohol, that became my thing. Anything that changes the way that I feel is something I should not go near. Weed and alcohol (for me) are gateway if you will. I know there is a huge debate on pot and if it should be legal or illegal, for me and my fellows in recovery, having it legal is a problem but that is a debate I can't get into. At the end of the day, you are the only one who can determine your sobriety date and if you had a relapse or not. I just know for me, anything that alters me is a very real thing that always leads me back to drugs. For me to drink or drug is to die. I don't want to sound so serious but to me it is a very serious disease and I have to always be aware of it.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
09/26/2015

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
I'll just share my own experience with this.

From ages 15-25, I almost exclusively used drugs, mostly pot but also dabbled in some other stuff - basically almost everything that was offered to me. I only drank occasionally at parties and social events, but never had more than a couple of beers or a glass of wine.

When I got clean at 25, I thought drugs were my problem, not alcohol. I see that a lot on this site. "Y was my problem, not X." So I thought it was ok to continue drinking like I did before. I started off drinking the way a drank before - just a couple here and there. But within a few years, I was drinking straight vodka day and night.

But the truth is, I'm a drug addict and that includes alcohol. It was foolish of me to think that only one type of substance would be an issue. When I look back at it now with some years of complete sobriety, I was still trying to accomplish the same thing with alcohol that I did with drugs - fill the void and escape reality. I was trying to use external substances to solve internal issues.

When I first got sober, my sponsor always reminded me to "check my motivations." Maybe think about what were your motivations to get high? Why are you so quick to say alcohol was your problem but weed isn't?

I try to follow the credo of "to thine own self be true." I have to be honest with myself before I can get honest with everyone else. So if I was in your situation, I would acknowledge that I purposefully used an external substance to escape reality and I would reset my date. I wouldn't beat myself up over it and just keep on trucking with sobriety.

Just my personal experience. Take it for what it's worth and good luck to you.
agree 100%
Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP, but it didn't look to me like his question was about whether or not he should smoke pot. He seems to be very clear that it isn't the kind of life he wants to live (being dependent on any substance) and that his plan moving forward is to abstain from all mind/mood altering substances.

Resetting a date (or even having one to begin with) and counting time is his choice to address in any way he sees fit. Fatboyanon, how you go about living your life in true authenticity is something you determine for yourself.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I never liked pot, it always made me more withdrawn, and I'm already an introvert, not a quality that I like to begin with.. But I find when I smoke cigarettes or over abuse caffeine, I feel more like drinking, just a trend I have noticed with myself and with others.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Back on the first post. I don't use the 12 step or make or aa. I have been to a few meetings here and there but I don't really get nothing out of them. So that being said; the way I see it if alcohol is your demon, and if dates matter to you then I say no. Keep your date for yourself if it helps you keep staying away from the booze. I have a date but it really means nothing to me I just take it day by day to not drink and snort anything. If you start using on a recreational basis regularly then yes your switching one addiction to the next. Just my opinion. Been sober for 3 months from alcohol and snorting things and I'm finding it pretty easy now. I've been here a few times before but this time I have no desire to drink anymore, no cravings, nothing. It's a good feeling. And love taking it day by day