Notices

I can't stop drinking.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noneever View Post
Had intrusive thoughts of drinking after work, but I just observed the thoughts and didn't get into a discussion or argument about whether or not to drink. It's not an option... I will never drink alcohol again and I will never change my mind.
I really don't want to suggest that this is not sufficient, noneever, but consider looking into AVRT. It could help you refine your understanding and method, without having to go to rehab or to meetings. There are some good discussion threads in the secular connections forum.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Now what?

I'm unsure about rehab. I KNOW I'm going to be told it's 'denial' speaking, but my gut instinct is that it's not the right fit for me. I want to focus on living well, sleeping and eating and doing yoga and meditating. Being with my kids. Being present and mindful. I don't want to be surrounded by other addicts, rehashing the guilt and shame. I'm done with alcohol. I will never drink alcohol again and I will never change my mind.
I can't wait to hear about your success!

Best
Old 03-15-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Algorithm- I'll be rereading the AVRT threads after work today. I had read them maybe 6 months ago but obviously the AV got in the way.
My plan:
AVRT
SR
Journaling
Yoga and meditation
Get back to the gym.
Live.
If I am practicing AVRT then meetings like AA or Smart Recovery are out.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thought I'd update here periodically as a way of keeping track. Another way to journal I guess.
Anyway, I haven't had any alcohol for the past 4 nights. I had an aggravating day today, where typically I'd have turned to alcohol, but it's simply not an option anymore. My AV sparked up once or twice this evening but I was able to simply observe it and move on. I made some chai and the ritual of making and drinking it was really quite soothing. I've been meditating every day, first thing in the morning and just before bed. I'm recognising when I'm hungry or thirsty and eating and drinking. Simple things that are making a big difference to my mood and energy levels.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Ant73

Thought I'd update here periodically as a way of keeping track. Another way to journal I guess.
Anyway, I haven't had any alcohol for the past 4 nights. I had an aggravating day today, where typically I'd have turned to alcohol, but it's simply not an option anymore. My AV sparked up once or twice this evening but I was able to simply observe it and move on. I made some chai and the ritual of making and drinking it was really quite soothing. I've been meditating every day, first thing in the morning and just before bed. I'm recognising when I'm hungry or thirsty and eating and drinking. Simple things that are making a big difference to my mood and energy levels.
Good luck with your recovery
Old 03-17-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
under new management

I made some chai and the ritual of making and drinking it was really quite soothing.
I found this to be helpful for myself, as well, especially in the beginning of my sobriety. Not chai specifically, but the ritual of measuring, stirring, sipping was a way for me to stay focused on the here and now.

I look forward to your updates, noneever
Old 03-17-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your progress noneever

D
Old 03-17-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

non-e - my 'gut instinct' was such a natural feeling, but it was dysfunctional thoughts based on emotional immaturity going back years with my addicted brain running back to booze. Detox and rehab are hard- yes. BUT they work. I avoided rehab, and it took far more serious life consequences before I worked out the obvious. Please think about it. A little bit of work now can truly make a difference.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Glad you have a few days under your belt. Just remember if you can't do it yourself there are lots of options.