Notices

Working through a tough time

Old 03-17-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working through a tough time

On day 4 here and last night I found myself randomly looking in all the places I used to keep booze. I took a step back and thought what the heck are you doing? I was on auto pilot. I made myself a cup of tea and sat down to read and I was fine. Today I don't have any cravings but it had been a bad day. For some reason my husband and I are not getting along. I don't know what Im doing or did. It is just one of those days when no one says much of anything and the tension is palpable in the air. I'm honestly quite sad today and just don't feel like eating or anything. All I've been doing is housework to keep busy. Still plugging along here dealing with today and looking forward to a new day.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sorry to hear you are having a bad day. Emotional ups and downs are common in early recovery. As for not feeling like eating, you should. Have you heard of HALT. As addicts in recovery we should be aware if we are feeling Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. It seems simple enough, but when these basic needs are not met, we are susceptible to self-destructive behaviors including relapse.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you

I agree, I need to force myself to take care of myself. Glad I have this forum to turn to.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome CKnopf82- Congrats on abstaining for 4 days. It's really difficult the first week. Hang in there and you'll feel better! Exercise helps me a lot! It literally flips the switch and I feel so much better. I'm only a bit over 3 weeks sober and I feel so much better!

In just a short time, my husband and I have had less fights. We still have a long way to go to repair the damage we did while drinking, but at least we're moving in the right direction.

Keep busy, by doing so, your mind will be pulled away from wanting to drink.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Change is hard for everyone, not only us but our loved ones too - believe me - things get better tho...give it a little time

Congrats on day 4

D
Old 03-17-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there. It gets easier. Peace.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Cknopf - it took me a while to adjust to the new normal. 4 days sober is wonderful - but very early yet. You're emotional and probably disoriented. I felt that way too, but everything changed and got better. We go through many phases - don't be discouraged.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome CK, congrats on 4 days! It does get better and easier. Surprised Dee didn't say it, but have plan to defend off the beast. Good luck and keep coming back.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would love to say something inspiring but can't. Would just like to say glad you're here. I have those days too!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
Welcome CK, congrats on 4 days! It does get better and easier. Surprised Dee didn't say it, but have plan to defend off the beast. Good luck and keep coming back.
Trying to keep my material fresh, done4

Anna posted the full sticky post in one of the OPs other threads, but this is the meat of the matter regarding plans...worth a look CKnopf :

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 03-17-2017, 09:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 days. I am close to 5 months, and each day it does get easier. The first month is the most difficult.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Hi and welcome to SR. 100 days for me today but those earlier days are still fresh. I just felt tired and lost and I did miss my toxic friend.

Well done for noticing what you were doing and doing something different. It may not seem much but this sort of self awareness will help you on your journey.

You are doing great and it will get better and easier.

Post whenever you need to xx