Notices

My ultimatum and my guilt, please help

Old 03-05-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

In my experience we're all pretty good at smacking ourselves across the head with a bit of 2x4.

Further blows from others are unnecessary most of the time.

Straight talking is fine, but lets keep it constructive, please?

Thanks

Dee
SR
Old 03-06-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
In my experience we're all pretty good at smacking ourselves across the head with a bit of 2x4.

Further blows from others are unnecessary most of the time.

Straight talking is fine, but lets keep it constructive, please?

Thanks

Dee
SR

Thank you.
I'm not sure I'll be posting on here anymore but the constructive feedback was enough to launch me in the right direction. Others seemed rudely presumptuous and self-rightous.

Some people mean well but have a way of pushing too hard and either not noticing or not being empathetic enough. A lot of emotionally or psychologically vulnerable people could be pushed away by their approach.

However, I can't say thank you enough for welcoming me kindly and with an open mind. I'll make sure to update you in the near future.

All the best ☺
Old 03-06-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I hope you'll stick around Rob, remember that we are all addicts here and many folks her have seen a lot of people come and go. We'd much rather that you'd stay and remember that we all have bad days and there are a lot of varying opinions on recovery - that's what makes a community like this so great.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Rob,

I hope you stick around. It seems you are at a very important junction in your life. I am borrowing from a thread on the substance abuse forum by Sugar angel (hydro thread) that I thought was really important.

She stated that all roads lead back to here, this moment, and quitting. Using is simply prolonging the inevitable and ensuring that you lose more along the way. I have an alcohol and benzo addiction, I have permanently altered my brain through use. The only way I win is to cease using, which I did.

I encourage you to please stick around. I think it is really important especially living in an environment where using is normalized. Being around others who have broken the cycle was important to me, especially early on.

I think getting clean means taking off blinders and we come out of the cave blinking and slowly start to realize that most of the world doesn't live the way we live. I felt like an imposter in the real world for my first year of sobriety, and having SR as a touchstone of support was so very helpful.

I know as addicts we go to extraordinary lengths to procure and use. We have to channel that same tenacity towards getting clean and sober. Most of us used whatever means necessary to further our habit. And the addict in us is looking for any reason to head back into the cave.

It is going to feel uncomfortable and anxiety provoking at first. I heard once that if it feels like a warm bath in early sobriety it probably isn't the right choice. I am glad you are here!
Old 03-06-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob150 View Post

Two days ago I decided to give myself a hypothetical ultimatum. I told myself, and my mom and sister, that if I use again, something bad would happen to my 11yr old son. I'm not religious or superstitious but this really had an impact on me.
Got you -- you are not religious -- I don't call myself that either --
but -- I do believe in God.

I look at your issue like the time in which I prayed for God to have His way with me. For a believer, that can be kind of scary.

Back to your issue -- let this one go and stay away from thoughts such as that in the future. Just as I no longer pray for God to have his way with me -- unless really, really needed -- which I try to do the right things today and stay away from self imposed spankings.

M-Bob
Old 03-06-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi Rob, I really hope you choose to keep posting here on SR.

I know you will find lots of support, kindness and help, on SR, at this time in your life where you are reaching out.